HarryMag

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am not really that into this game, but I´ve heard something about that you can´t use one tactic for more than one season, or the AI will now what you bring to the pitch and they will counter it, so that you´ll always have to change stuff. Any tips on how to get passed this?

Personally I think this new feature is quite stupid as it´s not realistic at all. Everybody knew how Guardiola´s Barcelona was going to play, but very few could stop them. Same with Brendan Rodgers Liverpool last season. In FM13 you could develop your own tactic and tweek this one tactic into perfetion, witch was something I loved to do. Is SI thinking that it is fun to make a very new tactic every season?

Again, how do I counter this. I´ve found a very good tactic and how do I make stay that was over several seasons? Would really appretiate every answers here. :)

I don't have any issues as I rotate my formation/tactics...

They all are at the core a 3-5-2 but just different variations, I can't say I have had any problems thus far

After one season using a tactic, you overachieve, the next season your reputation increases, and teams go more defensive against you... it's harder to break them down with a squad that hasn't improved as much as your reputation... etc.

The AI doesn't counter your tactic, but teams go more defensive against you... just make sure you improve your squad a lot if you overachieve because you will need it for the 2nd season.

Best way is to pay attention to what is happening. Imo it is a myth that you cant use the same tactic for too long. Ive used the same 2 or 3 tactics in every save i do. If you read the game & adjust to what the opposition is throwing at you most tactics can be used for as long as you want to use them.

Well, it's not true so you don't have to worry about it. The AI is just that, AI. It's not sentient. But it uses statistical information available to try to counter your tactics. For example, if the statistics show that you struggle against defensive 4-5-1 that are fast on the counter, the AI might very well use that tactic - especially if it's a tactic the manager of that team likes.

But no, the AI doesn't "get used to" your tactic.

Personally I think this new feature is quite stupid as it´s not realistic at all. Everybody knew how Guardiola´s Barcelona was going to play, but very few could stop them.

That's not for lack of trying. Everyone tried the sit deep and break at pace style against Barca, but only top teams regularly made it work, and that's not tactical, that's to do with quality.

Same with Brendan Rodgers Liverpool last season.

But not this one, which wouldn't exactly support your argument.

In FM13 you could develop your own tactic and tweek this one tactic into perfetion, witch was something I loved to do. Is SI thinking that it is fun to make a very new tactic every season?

It's certainly unrealistic to just make a perfect tactic and then roll over opposition forever. It's much more fun to me to have to adapt to the opposition challenge rather than just make an unbeatable tactic and wreck everyone in sight.

The AI doesn't adapt to your tactics to the degree that you're assuming anyway. As stated earlier, if you win a lot, your rep goes up. Your team becomes feared, so people play more defensively against you and the AI looks to exploit weaknesses in your style of play more. It is, in essence, exactly one of the reasons why Liverpool aren't doing quite so well so far this season. How's that for realism?

Again, how do I counter this. I´ve found a very good tactic and how do I make stay that was over several seasons? Would really appretiate every answers here. :)

You can no longer just play FM by finding the perfect tactic and then using it forever. You have to adapt and tweak on the fly, pick and choose formations and styles to exploit opposition weaknesses, just like managers do in real life. If you don't want to do that, you could try using a mix of players with different styles and PPMs to mix up the shape and movement of your team.

Eh, meh, it's not that hard either. I have the same basic core 4-2-3-1 as my two main tactics for years ingame, with roles changed in each one.. You don't have to drastically change each time, just have to pay more attention to how your opponent has played till date and modify/tweak tactics/role/mentality accordingly. Very realistic, and kinda fun actually, as compared to plug-and-play.

I don't have any issues as I rotate my formation/tactics...

They all are at the core a 3-5-2 but just different variations, I can't say I have had any problems thus far

I do this too. Only i play with different variations of either 442 or 4231. Played like this for a number of season, had no problems.

Thanks for so many great replies!

Still how one question. Say I have 1 great tactic. What do I change in the two "replucates" of that tactic? Player roles, mentality etc?

Thanks for so many great replies!

Still how one question. Say I have 1 great tactic. What do I change in the two "replucates" of that tactic? Player roles, mentality etc?

You don't HAVE to change anything. You'll just have to do slight modifications depending on how other teams play against you.. You can't play the same way against both Arsenal and Crystal Palace, because they'll have different styles of play in general, and against you. Look at the game, see what is going wrong, and try to change accordingly..

Also, have a clear look at the opposition scouting, that'll give you an idea as to where their goals and assists are coming from. Then take a peek at your normal tactic, and see if you need to modify anything before the match itself..

Dont usually use "duplicate" tactics too often but when i do i pretty much just change the teams mentality eg. 1st might be attacking, 2nd counter just so the team is comfortable playing in different ways, the rest can just be changed depending on the game as Sherkey has said.

After some great advice here, I find myself getting results in this years FM. When I switch around the tactics, I am getting much better results. I have another question tho, I have now tried out FMC for the first time with Swansea. My tactic works and stuff, but since I only have one tactic slot I fear that will change soon. Anyone have any ideas what to do, cuz the tactic needs familiarity, right?

Edit: I know this is placed wrong now, since it´s a new FM, but I thought it would be unnecessary to start a new thread.

Last edited:
FMC doesn't have tactical familiarity, so you can make changes without worrying about it.

I find it doesn't matter who you are or what your do tactic wise! I never seem to get results against the usual 'big teams' home or away. I was Chelsea and won the premier league in my first season but suffered a 7-0 loss at the hands of Arsenal. The following season was just a joke, same tactic and I couldn't get a win for love nor money.