Airdrieonians Diamonds from the rough

Mr_Grieves

Reaction score

Airdrieonians

View attachment 63941

Not quite Aberdeen but a return to Scottish football with a club that starts with an "A" and play in reds who have been all over the pot since there 90's heydays

From the outskirts of Glasgow Airdrieonians football club have just come through there latest troubled times with the club recently being taken over to give them there millionth glimmer of hope since originally going bust in 2002.

History

Formed in there first form in 1878 "The Diamonds" under the futuristic name of "Excelsior Football Club"

The clubs golden Era was the early 1920s with there greatest ever player Hughie Gallacher who later joined Newcastle. Leading the team they finished 2nd in the top flight four years in a row winning there only Scottish Cup along the way in 1924, I hope by 2024 we can challenge to win it again on the 100th anniversary.

View attachment 63939

After loosing Gallacher in 1925 and Bob McPhail, who went on to be Rangers record goalscorer for over 50 years till Ally McCoist broke the record. For Airdrie the next 70 years were largly forgettable time split between the top two divisons There stand out moments was being the first Scottish team to win on penaltys in 1970 and there victory in the only ever "Spring Cup" a early version of the Challenge cup for lower league teams when the SFL couldnt figure out how to restructure the league.

Famous corner pavilion at the old Broomfield
View attachment 63935

Alex MacDonalds 2nd golden genearation

The club were back in the early 90s playing a few seasons in the top flight and enjoying several solid cup runs twice reaching the Scottish Cup final, loosing them both to the Old firm giants Rangers 2-1 in 1991 and Celtic 1-0 in 1995.

View attachment 63938

Unraveling
On the pitch they were having there best period in 70 years however off the pitch in 1994 the club was unknowingly walking into oblivion. They sold there stadium to Safeway supermarkets and relocation was a disaster. Not embraced by fans under 2000 a game, taking 4 years to rebuild, the death of club figurehead Joey Rowan and the whole board resigning leaving the clubs long time money man Jack Dalziel to take a huge hit financially to keep the club going.

Crisis
By 2000 The administrators and liquidators were at the club and despite a memorable 2 years from 2000-2002 they won back to back Challenge cups, took in players that would stand out in future SPL teams like David Fernández, Jesus Sanjuán, Antonio Calderón and Javier Sánchez Broto and amazingly despite the problem they challenge for the title and promotion to the SPL. The final ray of hope ended with there promotion push being decimated by the administrators laying off players & staff and the club winning 2 of there final 14 games ending up 10 points behind title winner Partick but worst of all the club was liquidated and closed down at the end of the season.

Awakening
View attachment 63937
The demise lasted weeks. Undeterred local accountant Jim Ballantyne tried to enter the Scottish leagues with a team named Airdrie United but it was Gretna who won the vote and that should have been the end.

Not so! another Scottish Club Clydebank were also in financial problems and Ballantyne bought them out, renamed them Airdrie United

The first decade
A Challenge cup win 2009 and third tier league and gaining the nickname "the luckiest team in Scotland" 2008, 2009 & 2012 they lost a playoff to drop down a division problems with Livingston and Rangers and Gretna going bust saved them from relegation.

The last 10 years aside from changing there name back to Airdrieonians have been a disaster. Managers coming and going, jumping between part time and full time and major disputes between new owner & chairman.

2018 Hope
View attachment 63936
The final splutters of the old board were removed as a consortium led by a former manager Bobby Watson & Sir Alex Ferguson's brother Martin took control of the club removing the old board and setting the club up for a fresh start

My aim is to not only take the club back to there top flight heyday of the 20's but try and win the league title while building a squad of players that will spend there career at the club. This is a team i've never played as but have a strange connection to. In as a 10 year old 1998 my dad, a vintage enthusiast took us to the Dorset steam fair during our holidays and we were going through some sales stands where i seen football tops, Man Utd, Liverpool and a few other top teams and right in the middle for a mere £10 was this white and red Airdrieonians top. Stunned such a thing was there i had to buy it thinking whats the chances i'll get this chance again, little did i know that 4 years later that club was wound up.

Major Airdieonans Records 1878
Record appearances - John Martin 755
Most League goals in a season 53 - Hughie Baird 1955
Record Attenance 24,000 - 1952

Save Record

SeasonLeagueScottish CupScottish League CupEuropeEuropean Coefficients
2017/18League 1 Winners4th Round2nd RoundIrn Bru Cup WinnersNA
2018/19Championship 3rd4th RoundRunner UpsIrn Bru Cup QFNA
2019/20Championship Winners4th RoundGroup PhaseIrn Bru Cup QFNA
2020/21SPL 3rd5th RoundSemi FinalsNANA
2021/22SPL 3rdSemi FinalQuarter FinalsEuropa League Qualifyers192nd
2022/23SPL 2ndWinnersRunner UpEuropa League Runner Up
2023/24

Trophys
Scottish Cup *1Championship *1
League One *1
Irn Bru Cup *1

Airdie Save Stars

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this since I live about a 15 minute walk from the stadium.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this since I live about a 15 minute walk from the stadium

I read that its one of the highest in the country, Only Clyde i think had a higher altitude. We'll need fit youngster in that case!

Last edited:
Read that its one of the highest in the country, Only Clyde i think had a higher altitude. We'll need fit youngster in that case!

Well they also have a good youth system as well, may be being bias since my nephew plays for their under 9 team though​

Airdrieonians hire Donald

View attachment 63845
A one year contract on £375 a week. Opening day jobs will include trying to find bigger teams to get much needed money in the bank to rebuild the squad. Picking up a coaching team

We start with requesting a senior affiliate. I hope this will make loans easier
View attachment 63838

We fill all our spare fixtures spaces with money spinning games against the old firm, Aston Villa & Middlesbrough
View attachment 63837

The pre season odds say we have little chance in the league but should be challenging for a playoff spot.
View attachment 63843

Staff
View attachment 63844
Thanks to the takeover we have 2 coaches and a physio so no need to deal with useless coaches for a year or two and i can bring in my own

Squad
View attachment 63842
This squad is disgusting! I think there is three players, Sean McIntosh, Jake Edwards and the new boards first Dale Carrick that i would even try to keep on for next season.Ryan Conroy is the only other stand out player we own but at 30 i'll be trying to gt cash for him now!

Dale Carrick - AT
View attachment 63841
Signed in the real life transfer window after being released by Livingston he claims to be sold on the vision the chairman sold him

Sean McIntosh - MC
View attachment 63840
Solid mental stats from the former Celtic kid is always a goo start and his top 3 technical stats for center midfield are all over 10

Josh Edwards - WL
View attachment 63839
The 17 year old is one of our own and will be right into the starting 11

I aim to add plenty more players in the next few weeks with some decent Scottish regens on the market and loans from better teams will be in the works.

Last edited:
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bit random said person!!!! I will always remember the 1st time I saw Airdrie. Aberdeen won 7-0 and Mixu Paatelainen (what a ******* signing na na na na) scored 4. His first he went up to head it, dummied it and volleyed it in.

Anyway I digress lol

I was going to suggest a dual story save when your impending arrivals arrive (lots of time off then lol) or if you are off during a week of the World Cup you can move in with me and the missus and we can play FM, do a story and watch Panama en route to glory

Last edited:
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I was going to suggest a dual story save when your impending arrivals arrive (lots of time off then lol) or if you are off during a week of the World Cup you can move in with me and the missus and we can play FM, do a story and watch Panama en route to glory

Ironically i have time off form the 18th to the 27th of June at the very least! so sounds good

Ironically i have time off form the 18th to the 27th of June at the very least! so sounds good

I have the week before off lol.

I made sure I had the week with all the lunchtime kickoffs off. Not after that week I will only miss a couple of first halves at work

Airdrie have had some really good players come through their academy in my save, one has just moved from Forest to Villa for £1.9m and there are a few others currently at SPL teams. Will be interesting to see if it's the same here or whether it's just a one off

Enjoyed the little history lesson about the club, as I had no idea about their reformation. It's got me a lot more interested than I originally thought I would be. Good luck.

Curious...as I'm currently managing Airdrie in my save(though I started in December 2018 so my squad is slightly different to yours).

Just started an Airdrie save (2017) having read this.

Curious...as I'm currently managing Airdrie in my save(though I started in December 2018 so my squad is slightly different to yours).

Wow Airdrie seem like a popular choice this season. We'l have to see how we all stack up against each other. Feel free to put up pictures of what and how your doing. We've started great in cups but rank in the league.

Airdrie have had some really good players come through their academy in my save, one has just moved from Forest to Villa for £1.9m and there are a few others currently at SPL teams. Will be interesting to see if it's the same here or whether it's just a one off

I did see that in recent times they have focused on bringing through youth players which suits my way of managing and why i've brought in a pile of 16 year olds

Pre Season 2017

We get our senior affiliated team and we could not have asked for a better one!
View attachment 63618
No players coming in this summer as we've already had 5 in on loan.

Friendly's
View attachment 63617
Breaking in a team against the Old Firm, villa and Everton got the expected results but once we got back into playing the Scottish teams we found our groove and that sets up well for our opening domestic games

League Cup
View attachment 63616
Despite all my seasons managing in Scotland this was my first ever Group phase matches in the Betfred cup, that i can remember. And it went almost perfectly with straight forward wins against Berwick & Stranraer before taking Dundee to penaltys loosing 9-8! We still had a shot at reaching the knock out phase all we had to do was beat QOTS and we did to knock Dundee out!

Last 16 Draw
Hearts vs Airdrie
View attachment 63615
We have another SPL powerhouse in the last 16, sadly we miss out on a home tie and several thousands of pounds

Irn-Bru Draw
View attachment 63614
We get the Celtic youth team which could be a nightmare if they put in some 1st team players needing game time.

On loan veteran Darryl Duffy is showing how important he is going to be for our season while McIntosh, Carrick and Stevenson showing faith in my pre season build up.

Transfers
View attachment 63613

In
View attachment 63610View attachment 63609View attachment 63608View attachment 63607
We sign 4 regen teenagers with few real players interested in a free move. YET! Austin Stevenson is by far the stand out who is ready for the 1st team already and we have him tied down for 5 years so he wont be leaving for pennies if a bigger team comes in for the Pirlo of east glasgow

Out
We sell Kieran MacDonald to Inverness which funds the agent & signing bonuses on the 4 youths leaving cash or £11k if you like for more moves before the window shuts

August

We smash our record attendance in our Irn Bru cup game with Celtic's u20s
View attachment 63339

As for the other cup, ScottT i hope you svved your cash!

Fixtures
View attachment 63342
What a horrific month. Despite the investment in forward thinking players we only managed to score more than one against Celtic's u20s. In the league 3 draws and a defeat is nothing like the form required to challenge at the top Especially when we have yet to play either of the top two teams Raith and Ayr

League Table
View attachment 63341
Speaking of those two Ayr have started on fire with 4 wins from 4. I just hope the guys get used to the tactics

Dynamics
View attachment 63340
I hate this feature. Anytime you say boo to a player the whole squad ***** the bed. Try to make it better well for sure they are going to get even more upset. Grinds my gears it does!

Last edited:

September

30 Days have September and the first 29 days of this September were soul destroying. Ryan Conroy is doing everything possible to get me the sack and we loose 3 games in a row without scoring a single goal. The goalless streak is what really concerns me as that is usually a strong point of my teams and with Carrick and Duffy up top we have two of the best in the league while Stevenson behind them is getting called up to the Scotland u19s.

I will keep riding my wingers formation into October but if things dont improve we will have to look at something else.

Fixtures
View attachment 63288

Defeat to Raith i will grit my teeth and at least understand. But to be as toothless against Stranraer who at best will be fighting for the final playoff spots and relgation fodder in East Fife is not what i expected. Usually i give my teams 6 months to get settled into a tactic but then again its been a VERY long time since i've played with a bunch of players this hopeless.

Im not sure if im overthinking it here but could a complicated tactic based on movement and speed be too much for this level especially since basically the whole squad is under 23?

League Table
View attachment 63287
We did finally end our horrific start with a 3-1 win at Queens park, who were the only other team in the league without a win. Its not all bad news since we're far from totally cast adrift. Ayr are only 10 points clear so if we can turn our form around there is plenty to play for with 3/4 of the season still to play