Aitor Herrera and Athletic Bilbao - A Match Made in Heaven

th

Julen Guerrero
1992-2006
Midfielder
430 apps, 116 goals

Julen Guerrero was a Spanish wonderkid in the early 1990's. He was a one club man and managed to earn 41 caps for Spain and scored 13 goals in the process.

--

MAY

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Nunez 32, Adria 35, Goni 64)
Sporting Gijon 1 (Mahrez 90)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza, Melgarejo (Etxaniz), Nunez*, Montes (U.Zubillaga), X.Lopez, Saizar, Adria, Goni (B.Zubillaga)

Out came the backups and I decided to give Goni the nod up front and I am pleased to see that he got his goal.

--

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg
v
50125.png

Chelsea 3 (Iheanacho 45, Gustavo 54, Mane 63pen)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Williams 8, 58, Morilla 15)
(Agg: 4-5)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez (Melgarejo), Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, Williams*, Morilla, Bengoetxea, Gonzalez

An entertaining 2nd leg where we were controlling it before throwing it away but not as bad as the Real Madrid match. When we got our 2nd away goal we were all but in the final so I was pretty relaxed.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (B.Zubillaga 90)
Valencia 0

Lineup
- Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza*, Melgarejo, Nunez, Montes (U.Zubillaga), X.Lopez, Saizar (Castano), Adria, Goni (B.Zubillaga)

Borja Zubillaga's last minute goal not only gave us the win but saved us from failing to score in the league for the first time this season.

--

v
50125.png

Valencia 3 (Kondogbia 8, Edouard 27, Fernandez 48)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Goni 61)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza, Melgarejo, Lasa (Jose Manuel), Montes, X.Lopez, Saizar, Adria (Muniain), B.Zubillaga (Goni)

We were terrible here and Valencia fully deserved their victory. Jose Manuel made his debut while Lasa who has been a stalwart for the B team got a rare first team appearance despite being good enough for the first team.

--

50125.png
v
89727.png

Athletic Bilbao 1 (Castano 27)
Eibar 1 (Francisco 54)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza (Etxaniz), Jimenez, Nunez, Montes, Julia, Castano*, Adria (Muniain), Goni (B.Zubillaga)

Disappointing but its all about getting game time for my backups I suppose and at least we didn't get beat. 16y/o Jordi Julia made his debut here.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Saizar 60)
Malaga 1 (Bongonda 40)

Lineup
- Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza, Melgarejo, Nunez (Jose Manuel), Montes, X.Lopez (Castano), Saizar, Adria, B.Zubillaga (Goni)

3 games without a win for my backups now - not acceptable. I expect better from the likes of B.Zubillaga, Adria and X.Lopez. The defence is doing their bit.

--

87959.png
v
50125.png

Levante 1 (Illarramendi 75)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Goni 2, Saizar 32pen, A.Lopez 86)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza, Melgarejo, Nunez (Jose Manuel), U.Zubillaga, X.Lopez, Saizar, Adria (Muniain), Goni*

That's better - we got a good win here and even had a goal disallowed by Adria. This win takes us to 100pts.

--

Copa del Rey Final
50051.png
v
50125.png

Real Madrid 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Saizar 80)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola (Segura), Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez*, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Bengoetxea (Muniain), Gonzalez

We get revenge on our defeat in the league against Real by claiming the cup and it was fitting that it was one of my backups - Saizar - that got the winning goal as my backups played every match up to the final.

--

UEFA Champions League Final
v
50125.png

AC Milan 1 (Kessie 46)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Sancet 89)

(AET - Athletic Bilbao win 4-2 on penalties)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez (Melgarejo), Nolaskoain, Sancet*, Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Bengoetxea (Muniain), Gonzalez (B.Zubillaga)

Who would have thought that when we were in the group stages together we would meet again in the final? It was a very tight affair and we were seconds away from losing but Sancet fired in from the edge of the area to take us into extra-time. It went to penalties and we scored all ours with Iker Muniain scoring the decisive penalty.

--

SUMMARY

Our end to the season was successful if not exciting. I pitched in my backups for the last 6 games of the league campaign and while they got a great victory over Valencia and signed off with a 3-1 win over Valencia - they were disappointing in the other matches.

In the Copa del Rey we got a late winner to beat Real Madrid and in the Champions League we were moments away from losing but thankfully we levelled and won it on penalties.

End of season post to follow.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ALBERTO SAIZAR
View attachment 20773

Blimey what a tight affair in the Champions League!! Congrats on an amazing season again mate

Estanislao Argote
th

1977-1990
Forward
427 apps, 76 goals

Argote was a forward who suffered from injuries later on in his career. He played twice for Spain and actually won national championships playing the accordion and actually released an album!!!

--

END OF SEASON POST

Another season where we won every single competition that we were in but it was worse than the year before all told. We lost 2 league games compared to 0 the year before and the way we lost our first game when we were 3-0 up with less than half an hour to go was just unacceptable.

Having said that despite getting less points than last season we won the league by a far bigger margin than the year before as we ended up being 17pts clear and that's after I played my backups and they went 3 games without a win.

In the Copa del Rey once again we reached the final by playing my backups and in the final we edged it 1-0 thanks to Alberto Saizar's late winner. In the Champions League we negotiated our group easily enough and just pipped AC Milan to top the group. We then knocked out Arsenal, Chelsea and Juventus before we were reunited with AC Milan in the final and there we came out on top on penalties but only after we managed to equalise in the final minute of normal time.

All the Super Cups were won easily enough too.

Credit goes to my B team who with 1 game to play are 2nd in Liga 1 2 3. They are 3pts behind Getafe but they have the better head to head record. With the likes of Borrega, Lasa, U.Zubillaga, Segarra, Sanchez, Antonio David and Oyono they really do have a strong team.

--

LIGA SANTANDER

View attachment 20752

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

View attachment 20751View attachment 20750

Goalkeepers
- Alex Remiro rejoined the club in the summer and was rewarded by being the starting keeper for the first couple of months of the season due to Unai Simon's injury but after that Simon held on to the journey as usual.

Defenders - At right back Odriozola was exceptional and Segura, who would walk into just about every other side, did well too. Melgarejo started the season well at left back but midway through the season Jimenez came in and made the position his own at only 18y/o.

As for the central defenders Alex Iturrino was amazing and scored 8 goals while Laporte was his imperious best. Alfonso Lopez did well but the surprise package was Zabalza who really impressed and has even forced himself into international reckoning.

Midfielders
- Sancet and Nolaskoain were in fine form in the centre. Both got double figures in goals which is what I always want while Montes also impressed. On the RW Williams didn't score near as much goals as he usually does which was a disappointment while young Bengoetxea had an ok debut season but I would expect him to score more than 6 goals next year as he continues to develop.

In AMC Pelayo Morilla probably had his best season for us and netted 14 times while Alberto Saizar did well as his backup and came to the fore towards the end of the season and got into the Spain side.

Forwards - Imanol Gonzalez had 37 goals in 41 games which is a great record but he was just doing average until the turn of the year and then he scored 20 goals in 8 games which really boosted his numbers. Borja Zubillaga did OK as backup while Inaki Goni got a few games to show me what he could do.

My Player of the Year - Alex Iturrino
My Young Player of the Year - Kepa Bengoetxea
Must Do Better - Inaki Williams
Donkey of the Year - Adria

--

AIMS FOR PRE-SEASON

I have such a wealth of talent bubbling under the first team that this summer will all be about finding the right loan moves for my youngsters. I of course have a minimum £530m to spend but I don't envisage much of that being spent.

I have also loaded up the English leagues as playable as I am going to take over Newcastle and just manage them during the transfer windows - try and make Athletic have a foreign challenger lol.

th

SPAIN

UEFA Nations League Semi-Final
fra.gif
v
esp.gif

France 3 (O.Dembele 22, M.Dembele 35, Pogba 36pen)
Spain 1 (Martin 19)

Lineup - De Gea, Bellerin, Iturrino, Mere (Zabalza), Gaya (Aaron Martin), Saul, Rodri, Morilla, Asensio (Saizar), Gonzalez, Martin

We took the lead here and then just had a crazy 20min or so where we just collapsed. Sure it wasn't my first choice side but I expect better. I think I am cursed in the Nations League!!!

Aritz Zabalza made his Spain debut here.

--

UEFA Nations League 3rd Place Play-Off
ita.gif
v
esp.gif

Italy 2 (Chiesa 7, Belotti 17)
Spain 4 (Asensio 52, Martin 58, Nolaskoain 75, Sancet 87)

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola, Zabalza, Mere (Cuenca), Gaya, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams (Suso), Saizar (Mayoral), Asensio*, Martin

A remarkable comeback as we come from 2-0 down without a hope to win 4-2. My Bilbao CM partnership Nolaskoain and Sancet scored the winning goals which was nice to see.

Now for the Confederations Cup!!!

--

Confederations Cup Group B
esp.gif
v
can.gif

Spain 4 (Gonzalez 1, 80, Martin 52, Iturrino 55)
Canada 0

Lineup
- De Gea, Odriozola, Iturrino, Mere, Gaya, Saul, Sancet (Nolaskoain), Williams (Suso), Asensio (Saizar), Gonzalez*, Martin

A comfortable victory. Martin's goal was a weird one as he looped a header in from the edge of the area.

--

arg.gif
v
esp.gif

Argentina 1 (Zaracho 83)
Spain 1 (Iturrino 54)

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola, Iturrino, Zabalza, Aaron Martin, Nolaskoain (Rodri), Sancet, Williams (Suso), Asensio, Gonzalez, Mayoral (Morilla)

Meh. We did enough to win but alas it was not to be. Iturrino's goal was a beauty as he volleyed home from 15 yards.

--

kor.gif
v
esp.gif

South Korea 1 (Son Heung-Min 49)
Spain 4 (Martin 26, 84, Gonzalez 40, 45)

Lineup
- De Gea, Odriozola (Bellerin), Iturrino, Mere, Gaya, Saul, Sancet (Rodri), Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Gonzalez*, Martin

This win means we top the group. Martin and Gonzalez both have great goalscoring records for Spain - Gonzalez's record is more impressive considering he plays out of position on the wing!

--

Confederations Cup Semi-Final
usa.gif
v
esp.gif

USA 0
Spain 2 (Williams 8, Suso 90)

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola (Bellerin), Lopez, Zabalza, Aaron Martin, Rodri, Saizar*, Williams (Suso), Morilla, Asensio (Gaya), Mayoral

I was forced to rest most of my team here but the players that came in did well especially Saizar who played in an unfamiliar deeper position.

--

Confederations Cup Final
arg.gif
v
esp.gif

Argentina 1 (Dybala 16)
Spain 4 (Gonzalez 4, 56, 61pen, Martin 19)

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola, Iturrino, Mere, Gaya, Saul, Sancet (Nolaskoain), Williams (Suso), Saizar, Gonzalez*, Martin

We win the Confederations Cup with a convincing victory over Argentina. Imanol Gonzalez was immense and his hat-trick moves him onto 22 goals in just 25 caps.

th

PRE-SEASON POST

I had an action packed summer what with managing Spain in the Nations League and the Confederations Cup, sorting out my Bilbao sides and of course sorting out the Newcastle squad (which was a nightmare!).

I was certainly busy in the transfer market and I even spent £10m in strengthening my B side and I hope they can now win the Liga 123 title after finishing runners-up last season.

Many of my staff were approached by English clubs to leave me but most stayed however I let a coach go to bring in former Athletic forward, Fernando Llorente, back to the club as part of my backroom team.

So here is what I have done in the transfer market so far...…..

--

PLAYERS OUT

I haven't actually sold anyone from the first team but I have loaned several prospects out. I did sell B team players Jose Antonio and Ander Guevara for just over £2m in total.

Adria has been loaned out for a £1m fee as has David Nunez, Aimar Nunez and Marti Segarra. Adria really needs first team football to kick on with his development while Segarra and Aimar Nunez are really talented players and I hope the loan spells can improve them like they have done with Juan Carlos.

As for David Nunez I decided to call up Unai Zubillaga to finally give him a season with the first team and thought it would be beneficial for Nunez to play every week in the top division and with Sevilla he will be at a high standard.

Alberto Castano has also been loaned out to get regular minutes at the top level while Mikel Goni, Jon Goiria, Inigo Perez, Aitor Martinez and David Martinez are all out on loan too. All 5 are decent players and prospects that are good enough for La Liga but not near my first team.

--

PLAYERS IN

Firstly the £10m I spent on the B team. For no money I brought in 2 of my old players back from Inter Milan. Jon Fernandez arrived on a free and Unai Nunez (a regen full back) came in on a 2 year loan.
View attachment 20565View attachment 20564

Then I spent £3.4m to bring back a one time loanee Daniel Bacaicoa in from Real Betis. He has been a regular in their side for the last 3 seasons. At 22y/o he should be a key player for the B team with years to go. Also coming back is Unai Martinez who I sold to Napoli for £5.5m and I brought him back for £3.5m and he will be my B teams keeper.
View attachment 20563View attachment 20562

Finally I brought in a 16y/o striker who will jump straight into the B team as he is far too good for the U19s. I paid Celta Vigo £2m for Brais and he is apparently good enough for the top division but we shall see how he gets on this season in the 2nd tier.
View attachment 20561

I signed a decent looking 16y/o from Albacete for the U19s. Santiago be his name and we shall see how he develops.
View attachment 20560

And then I went and broke my transfer record...………….

View attachment 20559

Yep he is back!!!!!!!! I paid £150m to bring Ignacio Martin back to the club after getting him poached off us for £139m last summer. He did well with PSG but it was Gonzalez who won the European Golden Boot so to bring him back should really strengthen our side. It means Gonzalez will have to go back to being a left winger but it works well for Spain so I have no worries.

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

Daniel Jimenez is my left back. He went ahead of Melgarejo halfway through last season but now its official lol. Unai Zubillaga is called up into the first team to be my backup CM while Nolaskoain is just, just, holding off Montes at the moment.

Gonzalez will be my LW while Juan Carlos, after 2 years out on loan, is back and looks like a great player but with Saizar and Morilla ahead of him game time could be tricky.

Martin naturally will play up front but Borja Zubillaga is now unhappy despite him not being any further down the pecking order. I may loan him out and call up one of my youngsters from the B team and Inaki Goni may get more game time. We shall see.

th

Ismael Urzaiz
1996-2007
Forward
419 apps, 129 goals

Urzaiz started his career at Real Madrid and played for a couple of clubs before finding a home at Athletic. He finished his career at Ajax and scored 8 goals in 25 games for Spain.

AUGUST

UEFA European Super Cup
50051.png
v
50125.png

Real Madrid 1 (Vinicius Junior 12)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Martin 53, Gonzalez 80)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez (Melgarejo), Nolaskoain, Sancet (Montes), X.Lopez, Morilla, Gonzalez*, Martin

I was surprised at the final whistle here as I thought we were going into extra-time but I didn't realise that the 2nd goal that was scored by Real Madrid was disallowed. Ignacio Martin scored on his comeback match and Gonzalez impressed despite being back on the left wing.

--

Supercopa

50051.png
v
50125.png

Real Madrid 1 (Korotkov 61)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Bengoetxea 3, Gonzalez 27, 74)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Melgarejo (Zabalza), Nolaskoain, Sancet, Martin (Muniain) (Saizar), Morilla, Bengoetxea, Gonzalez*

Another victory over Real Madrid that hands us another trophy. I went into this game without Williams and Xabi Lopez so Ignacio Martin had to play RW for a change.

--

v
50125.png

Barcelona 2 (Coutinho 13, Ilic 61)
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Gonzalez 49, 74pen, Nolaskoain 63, Martin 85)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte,
Melgarejo, Nolaskoain, Sancet (Montes), Williams (Goni), Morilla (Zabalza), Gonzalez*, Martin

I am so proud of my players here (apart from Melgarejo). We were 1 nil down and then 2-1 down with 10 men after Melgarejo's early sending off but we bounced back to somehow score 4 goals at the Nou Camp and get all 3pts.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Williams 18pen)
Valencia 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola*, Iturrino, Laporte, Zabalza, Nolaskoain, Sancet (Montes), Williams (Juan Carlos), Morilla, Bengoetxea, Martin (Goni)

Gonzalez got injured during training and is out for over a month so it gives Bengoetxea a run in the side and a shot at the Spain squad.
--

SUMMARY

We had a horrid first set of fixtures this season with 2 cup finals against Real Madrid, an away match with Barcelona and a home game against Valencia. Both cups were won fairly comfortably but it was the 4-2 away victory over Barcelona when we had a man sent-off after 25min that really impressed. Barcelona have actually lost their first 2 games this season.

There was one other transfer of note as Borja Zubillaga left. I offered him out on loan and nobody was willing to pay £150k a month and cover his wages but when I offered him out for an extortionate £30m (he was valued at £14m) RB Leipzig decided to pay that and give us 50% of any future fee!!!!! Despite being a backup player Zubillaga made 127 apps and scored 36 goals. 83 of his appearances were as a sub.

Inaki Goni now becomes our backup forward and I have called up Antonio David to be the backups backup lol.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IMANOL GONZALEZ
View attachment 20341

th

Jose Panizo
1938-1955
Midfielder
413 apps, 169 goals

Panizo was part of the title winning side in 1942-43 and also won a few Spanish Cups while at Athletic. He played 14 times for Spain and scored 2 goals.

--

SEPTEMBER

v
50125.png

Malaga 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Iturrino 45, Martin 48, 89)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Melgarejo, Nolaskoain, Zubillaga, Williams (X.Lopez), Morilla (Saizar), Bengoetxea, Martin*

Disaster struck before the game as Montes got injured in training and is out for 4-5 months so it opens up a chance for Unai Zubillaga who did ok here.

--

UEFA Champions League Group A

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Williams 19pen, Odriozola 21)
Juventus 1 (Kean 52)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola*, Iturrino, Laporte, Melgarejo, Lasa, Sancet, Williams (X.Lopez), Morilla (Juan Carlos), Bengoetxea, Martin (Goni)

I am happy with this result as we were without a couple of players. Jon Lasa stepped up from the B team to do very well and it was a rare Odriozola goal that was the eventful winner.

--

50125.png
v
50124.png

Athletic Bilbao 1 (Bengoetxea 71)
Atletico Madrid 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Melgarejo, Nolaskoain, Sancet (Zubillaga), Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Bengoetxea*, Martin (Goni)

I am very happy with this win and I am delighted that young Bengoetxea popped up with the goal.

--

50125.png
v

Athletic Bilbao 3 (Nolaskoain 11, Martin 19, Sancet 43)
Real Oviedo 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Melgarejo, Nolaskoain, Sancet*, Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Bengoetxea, Martin

We were excellent in the first half here and it was just a shame we couldn't score anymore in the 2nd half.

--

v
50125.png

Real Zaragoza 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Martin 15, Williams 52pen)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino* (Zabalza), Laporte, Melgarejo (Jimenez), Nolaskoain, Sancet (Zubillaga), Williams, Morilla, Muniain, Martin

Another win and another clean sheet.

--

SUMMARY

We won every match this month despite having some injury and fitness problems. The highlights were the victories over Juventus and Atletico Madrid with youngster Bengoetxea scoring the winner against Atletico. Next month we should have Gonzalez and Jimenez back fit so lets see how we do. Gonzalez has missed out on a few goals already as Williams has taken over the penalty taking duties and has 3 to his name.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ALVARO ODRIOZOLA
View attachment 20003

--

LIGA SANTANDER
View attachment 20004

--

th

SPAIN

UEFA World Cup Qualifiers Group 10

esp.gif
v
fin.gif

Spain 2 (Asensio 37pen, 75)
Finland 0

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola, Zabalza, Mere, Gaya, Saul, Sancet (Nolaskoain), Williams (Suso), Morilla (Saizar), Asensio*, Martin

--

rou.gif
v
esp.gif

Romania 2 (Ivan 64, Andone 89)
Spain 4 (Williams 19, Sancet 54, Martin 63, Iturrino 90)

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola (Bellerin), Iturrino, Mere, Aaron Martin, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams*, Morilla (Saizar), Asensio (Bengoetxea), Martin

17y/o Bengoetxea made his international debut as there seems to be a lack of decent left wingers for Spain. He is our youngest ever player now.

th

Carmelo Cedrun
1950-1964
Goalkeeper
402 apps, 0 goals

Cedrun won 1 league title and 3 Copa del Rey's while at Athletic and his son and grandson were also goalkeepers who had appearances for Athletic. He played 13 times for Spain.

--

OCTOBER

v
50125.png

FC Basel 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Saizar 36, X.Lopez 75)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez (Etxaniz), Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga (Lasa), Saizar*, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos, Bengoetxea, Goni (Antonio David)

Out came the backups and they got the job done. Both Saizar and Juan Carlos complained about the lack of playing time a few days ago and both got a start here and did well.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Muniain 13, Morilla 20, Zabalza 26)
Real Betis 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola*, Zabalza, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Zubillaga), Sancet, Williams (X.Lopez), Morilla, Muniain, Martin (Goni)

Our 7th game of the league campaign brought our 7th win and we have had 6 clean sheets in a row to boot.

--

v
50125.png

Sevilla 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Martin 25, 70)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino (Zabalza), Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Gonzalez (Bengoetxea), Martin*

A fine victory and even more pleasing - another clean sheet.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Goni 11, Antonio David 83, 90)
Sporting Lisbon 0

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez (Etxaniz), Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga, Saizar, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos, Bengoetxea (Muniain), Goni (Antonio David*)

I put my faith in my backups and they didn't let me down. We dominated throughout and Antonio David really impressed when he came on and his 2nd goal was a great finish.

--

v
50125.png

Sporting Gijon 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Laporte 39)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte*, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Gonzalez, Martin (Goni)

8 clean sheets in a row now in La Liga!!!!

--

Copa del Rey 4th Round 1st Leg
v
50125.png

Tarragona 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Goni 58, X.Lopez 76)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez (Etxaniz), Zabalza, Melgarejo*, Zubillaga, Saizar, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos (Lasa),
Bengoetxea, Goni (Antonio David)

Comfortable enough but I am annoyed with Bengoetxea getting sent-off late on. I suppose it will give Muniain a rare start in the 2nd leg. Tarragona play my B team next lol.

--

SUMMARY

This month was all about our defence in the end as we didn't concede a single goal which is a great achievement and its 8 clean sheets in a row in the league and 9 overall. How long can the run go?

Not much else to say really lol.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ARITZ ZABALZA

View attachment 19841

--

LIGA SANTANDER
View attachment 19840

--

th

SPAIN

mda.gif
v
esp.gif

Moldova 0
Spain 5 (Saul 5, 29, Mayoral 73, Iturrino 87, Williams 90)

Lineup
- De Gea, Odriozola, Iturrino, Mere, Aaron Martin, Nolaskoain, Saul*, Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Asensio (Bengoetxea), Martin (Mayoral)

Saul scored his 8th and 9th goals for Spain here and they were possibly his greatest ever goals. The first was a 25 yarder and the second was from even further out!!

--

esp.gif
v
ukr.gif

Spain 4 (Morilla 11, Martin 48, Asensio 50, Sancet 63)
Ukraine 2 (Mere og78, Kovalenko 84)

Lineup - De Gea, Segura, Zabalza (Lopez), Mere, Gaya, Sergio Gomez*, Sancet, Suso, Morilla, Asensio (Bengoetxea), Martin (Mayoral)

Raul Segura made his long awaited international debut here and became the latest Athletic player to make an appearance. Bellerin and Maffeo were injured so he wasn't put in due to me being biased.

Last edited:
th

Dani Ruiz-Bazan
1974-1986
Forward
402 apps, 199 goals

In the early 1980s Athletic were winning trophies and Dani won 2 league titles, 1 cup, 1 super cup and was a runner-up in the UEFA Cup to boot. He played 25 times for Spain and scored 10 goals.

--

NOVEMBER

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Williams 5, 53, Martin 36, 74)
Getafe 0

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams*, Morilla, Gonzalez, Martin

A great performance shown by the fact that I didn't make a substitution. Another clean sheet too!!!

--

v
50125.png

Sporting Lisbon 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Muniain 78)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga, Saizar, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos (Lasa), Bengoetxea (Muniain*), Goni (Antonio David)

Once again I trusted my backups and not only did they get the win to secure our passage into the next stage but they kept the run of clean sheets going too. Old man Muniain scored the winner shortly after coming off the bench.

Saying they are my backups - 6 current Spain internationals (would be 7 if Montes hadn't broken his leg) and 1 former (Muniain) - not bad lol.

--

v
50125.png

Espanyol 0
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Sancet 8, Martin 26, 32, 52, Williams 89)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Zubillaga), Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Gonzalez, Martin*

Espanyol have been the surprise package so far (they have Adria from ourselves and are managed by Pochettino) but we demolished them here. We got yet another clean sheet and Martin got a hat-trick. Gonzalez isn't scoring though which is a worry.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Gonzalez 41, 48, 57, 72pen, 87)
Huesca 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams, Morilla, Gonzalez*, Martin (Goni)

Welcome back Gonzalez!!! He scored all 5 goals here as he single handedly destroyed Huesca. Another clean sheet lol

--

v
50125.png

Juventus 0
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Gonzalez 39, Nolaskoain 63, Sancet 68, Williams 74)

Lineup
- Simon, Segura, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez (Melgarejo), Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams, Morilla, Gonzalez*, Martin (Goni)

WOW!!! Not only did we get yet another clean sheet but we humiliate Juventus in their own ground to secure the group and put their qualification hopes in progress.

--

87959.png
v
50125.png

Levante 0

Athletic Bilbao 1 (Goni 82pen)

Lineup - Simon, Segura*, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Zubillaga, Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Juan Carlos), Gonzalez (Bengoetxea), Martin (Goni)

After scoring 14 goals in our last 3 league games I am a bit surprised that we struggled so badly here however we got another clean sheet.

--

SUMMARY

We really hit top form this month as we were banging in the goals and once again didn't concede any for the 2nd month in a row which means we have kept 15 clean sheets in a row. We scored 4 past Juventus and Getafe and 5 past Huesca and Espanyol with the standout individual performance being Imanol Gonzalez's 5 goal haul against Huesca.

We are amazingly 12pts clear at the top of the table after only 13 league games and have the title all but wrapped up already it seems.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
UNAI SIMON

View attachment 19780
(Harsh on Gonzalez or Martin but I cannot ignore the man keeping all these clean sheets)

--

LIGA SANTANDER
View attachment 19779

--

th

SPAIN

fin.gif
v
esp.gif

Finland 0
Spain 4 (Mere 35, Williams 60, 73, 84pen)

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola, Iturrino, Mere, Aaron Martin, Saul, Sancet, Williams*, Asensio, Gonzalez, Martin (Mayoral)

8 of my starting XI were a booking away from suspension here - and only 2 (Mere & Sancet) got booked. This win secures qualification.

--

esp.gif
v
rou.gif

Spain 3 (Nolaskoain 60, Martin 62, 72)
Romania 1 (De Gea og23)

Lineup - De Gea, Bellerin, Iturrino, Zabalza, Gaya, Rodri, Nolaskoain, Suso, Saizar, Morilla (Mayoral), Martin*

We were really struggling here until Romania had a man sent-off early in the 2nd half and after that we took control and won the match.

Last edited:
hi

th

Dani Ruiz-Bazan
1974-1986
Forward
402 apps, 199 goals

In the early 1980s Athletic were winning trophies and Dani won 2 league titles, 1 cup, 1 super cup and was a runner-up in the UEFA Cup to boot. He played 25 times for Spain and scored 10 goals.

--

NOVEMBER

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Williams 5, 53, Martin 36, 74)
Getafe 0

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams*, Morilla, Gonzalez, Martin

A great performance shown by the fact that I didn't make a substitution. Another clean sheet too!!!

--

v
50125.png

Sporting Lisbon 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Muniain 78)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga, Saizar, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos (Lasa), Bengoetxea (Muniain*), Goni (Antonio David)

Once again I trusted my backups and not only did they get the win to secure our passage into the next stage but they kept the run of clean sheets going too. Old man Muniain scored the winner shortly after coming off the bench.

Saying they are my backups - 6 current Spain internationals (would be 7 if Montes hadn't broken his leg) and 1 former (Muniain) - not bad lol.

--

v
50125.png

Espanyol 0
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Sancet 8, Martin 26, 32, 52, Williams 89)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Zubillaga), Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Saizar), Gonzalez, Martin*

Espanyol have been the surprise package so far (they have Adria from ourselves and are managed by Pochettino) but we demolished them here. We got yet another clean sheet and Martin got a hat-trick. Gonzalez isn't scoring though which is a worry.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Gonzalez 41, 48, 57, 72pen, 87)
Huesca 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams, Morilla, Gonzalez*, Martin (Goni)

Welcome back Gonzalez!!! He scored all 5 goals here as he single handedly destroyed Huesca. Another clean sheet lol

--

v
50125.png

Juventus 0
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Gonzalez 39, Nolaskoain 63, Sancet 68, Williams 74)

Lineup
- Simon, Segura, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez (Melgarejo), Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams, Morilla, Gonzalez*, Martin (Goni)

WOW!!! Not only did we get yet another clean sheet but we humiliate Juventus in their own ground to secure the group and put their qualification hopes in progress.

--

87959.png
v
50125.png

Levante 0

Athletic Bilbao 1 (Goni 82pen)

Lineup - Simon, Segura*, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Zubillaga, Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Juan Carlos), Gonzalez (Bengoetxea), Martin (Goni)

After scoring 14 goals in our last 3 league games I am a bit surprised that we struggled so badly here however we got another clean sheet.

--

SUMMARY

We really hit top form this month as we were banging in the goals and once again didn't concede any for the 2nd month in a row which means we have kept 15 clean sheets in a row. We scored 4 past Juventus and Getafe and 5 past Huesca and Espanyol with the standout individual performance being Imanol Gonzalez's 5 goal haul against Huesca.

We are amazingly 12pts clear at the top of the table after only 13 league games and have the title all but wrapped up already it seems.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
UNAI SIMON

View attachment 1197515
(Harsh on Gonzalez or Martin but I cannot ignore the man keeping all these clean sheets)

--

LIGA SANTANDER
View attachment 1197516

--

th

SPAIN

fin.gif
v
esp.gif

Finland 0
Spain 4 (Mere 35, Williams 60, 73, 84pen)

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola, Iturrino, Mere, Aaron Martin, Saul, Sancet, Williams*, Asensio, Gonzalez, Martin (Mayoral)

8 of my starting XI were a booking away from suspension here - and only 2 (Mere & Sancet) got booked. This win secures qualification.

--

esp.gif
v
rou.gif

Spain 3 (Nolaskoain 60, Martin 62, 72)
Romania 1 (De Gea og23)

Lineup - De Gea, Bellerin, Iturrino, Zabalza, Gaya, Rodri, Nolaskoain, Suso, Saizar, Morilla (Mayoral), Martin*

We were really struggling here until Romania had a man sent-off early in the 2nd half and after that we took control and won the match.

th

Josu Urrutia
Midfielder
1987-2003
401 apps, 11 goals

Urrutia spent his whole career with Athletic and was a true one club man even more so as he was president of the club between 2011 until last November.

--

DECEMBER

Copa del Rey 4th Round 2nd Leg

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Saizar 27, Goni 56)
Tarragona 0
(Agg: 4-0)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza (Etxaniz), Melgarejo, Zubillaga, Saizar*, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos (Lasa), Muniain, Goni (Antonio David)

Tarragona were never likely to end our run of clean sheets although I would have expected us to have scored more goals.

--

50125.png
v
50051.png

Athletic Bilbao 4 (Laporte 20, Martin 60, 69, Bengoetxea 90)
Real Madrid 1 (Isco 45)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez (Zabalza), Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams (Bengoetxea), Morilla (Saizar), Gonzalez, Martin*

I cant believe that I am gutted that we thumped Real Madrid 4-1 but I am as we lost our clean sheet record thanks to an injury time goal in the 1st half. It ended up being 12 clean sheets in a row in the league and 18 overall.

Martin played most of the game as a RW after Williams' injury so for him to star was pleasing.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (X.Lopez 14, Goni 26)
FC Basel 0

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez (Etxaniz), Zabalza, Melgarejo*, Zubillaga, Saizar, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos, Bengoetxea (Muniain), Goni (Antonio David)

We finish off the group with a win to give us our 100% record.

--

v
50125.png

Real Sociedad 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Goni 77, Iturrino 90)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez*, Nolaskoain (Zubillaga), Sancet, X.Lopez, Morilla, Gonzalez, Martin (Goni)

We huffed and puffed here and finally got what we deserved when Goni nodded home from a corner and then Iturrino scored direct from a free-kick.

--

FIFA Club World Cup Semi-Final
th
v
50125.png

Mamelodi Sundowns 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Goni 9, 46, Saizar 21)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga, Saizar, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos (Muniain), Bengoetxea (Antonio David), Goni*

Into the final we go. Inaki Goni has certainly impressed this season as he has stepped into Borja Zubillaga's shoes.

--

FIFA Club World Cup Final

v
50125.png

Atlanta United 0
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Iturrino 22, Gonzalez 24pen, 25, Martin 34)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Zabalza, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Zubillaga), Sancet, X.Lopez, Saizar (Juan Carlos), Gonzalez* (Bengoetxea), Martin

We retain the Club World Cup with a comfortable victory. Gonzalez got injured and will be out for a few weeks.

--

Copa del Rey 5th Round 1st Leg
50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Martin 16, 29, 49)
Real Sociedad 0

Lineup - Simon, Segura, Zabalza, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet (Zubillaga), X.Lopez (Antonio David), Morilla, Bengoetxea (Muniain), Martin*

We went into this derby match without 6 players (Odriozola, Gonzalez, Williams, Iturrino, Goni and Montes) so I am naturally delighted that we still came out with the victory.

--

SUMMARY

Lots of news this month with us winning the Club World Cup, thrashing Real Madrid, defeating Real Sociedad in the first leg of the Copa del Rey and progressing in the Champions League. However the biggest piece of news regarding on field matters was the fact that we actually conceded a goal in the match versus Real Madrid.

Off the field we have news too as Imanol Gonzalez won all the world player of the year awards which is a great achievement and becomes the first Athletic player to do so. He was also named in the team of the year alongside Iturrino, Laporte and Odriozola while Martin was on the bench.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IGNACIO MARTIN

View attachment 19591

--

LIGA SANTANDER
View attachment 19590

Last edited:
th

Fidel Uriarte
1962-1974
Forward
394 apps, 120 goals

Uriarte won 2 Copa del Reys while at Athletic and also won the Pichichi trophy once for being the top scorer in a season. He played 9 times for Spain and scored 1 goal.

--

JANUARY

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Iturrino 17, Martin 25, Morilla 29, Bengoetxea 58)
Villarreal 0

Lineup - Simon, Segura, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Zubillaga), Sancet (Juan Carlos), X.Lopez, Morilla*, Bengoetxea, Martin (Goni)

A very nice win indeed and Pelayo Morilla put in his first great performance in a while as he scored his 2nd goal of the season and got 2 assists to boot. Oh and whisper it quietly but we have kept 6 clean sheets in a row now lol.

--

Copa del Rey 5th Round 2nd Leg
v
50125.png

Real Sociedad 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Sanchez 3)
(Agg: 0-4)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez (Etxaniz), Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga (Montes), Saizar, Julia*, Juan Carlos, Sanchez, Goni (Anotonio David)

Pity Real Sociedad. They couldn't even beat my weakened backup team and it was 2 players who got their first appearance of the season (Julia and Sanchez) who combined for our goal. Pleasing to see Montes return from his bad injury.

--

50125.png
v
89727.png

Athletic Bilbao 3 (Martin 11, Goni 53, 59pen)
Eibar 2 (Francisco 35, Vietto 78)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, X.Lopez, Morilla (Juan Carlos), Bengoetxea, Martin (Goni*)

Yes its a win but I am ****** off that we conceded 2 goals from only 3 shots. Bengoetxea had a late goal disallowed and they had a man sent-off in injury time.

--

Copa del Rey Quarter-Final 1st Leg
50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Melgarejo 78)
Leganes 0

Lineup - Simon, S.Zabalza, A.Lopez (Etxaniz), A.Zabalza, Melgarejo*, Zubillaga, Saizar (Montes), X.Lopez, Juan Carlos, Bengoetxea, Goni (Antonio David)

I put my faith in the backups here and they did OK with Melgarejo scoring the only goal via a free-kick. Sergio Zabalza from the B team made his debut here.

--

v
50125.png

Leganes 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Gonzalez 21, Saizar 72pen)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola (Segura), Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez*, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams (Saizar), Morilla, Gonzalez (Bengoetxa), Goni

--

Copa del Rey Quarter-Final 2nd Leg
v
50125.png

Leganes 1 (Mboula 28)
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Goni 26, 62, Saizar 49, X.Lopez 73)
(Agg: 1-5)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez (Etxaniz), Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga (Juan Carlos), Montes, X.Lopez, Saizar, Bengoetxea (Antonio David), Goni*

My backups did very well here as Inaki Goni got in amongst the goals again. He now has 12 for the season.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 0
Barcelona 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola (Segura), Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez*, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams (X.Lopez), Morilla, Gonzalez (Antonio David), Goni

This amazingly is the first game we have failed to score in this season in all comps, and the first game we haven't won this season in all comps.

--

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 1st Leg
50051.png
v
50125.png

Real Madrid 1 (Van Drongelen 76)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Gonzalez 13)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet (Montes), X.Lopez, Morilla, Bengoetxea (Sanchez), Gonzalez

2 draws in a row!!! We almost lost as well as Real Madrid had a last minute goal disallowed.

--

SUMMARY

January as ever was a busy month with our league and cup commitments but overall we did very well. We thumped Villarreal 4-0, beat our bitter rivals Real Sociedad in the cup, beat Leganes 3 times in a row and also drew with Barcelona and Real Madrid although that was our first games we haven't won all season.

In the league we are still miles ahead at the top with a game in hand to boot so we are just going to plug away and see how quickly we can secure the title.

In the transfer market we said goodbye to a true Athletic legend in Iker Muniain. He wanted a new challenge and joined Sampdoria for £1.4m. He made 289 apps for me and scored 77 goals for me so he did really well.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
DANI JIMENEZ
View attachment 19295

--

LIGA SANTANDER
View attachment 19294

Last edited:
th

Carlos Gurpegi
2002-2016
Midfielder
393 apps, 22 goals

Gurpegi was part of the great Marcelo Bielsa side a few years back and would have made more appearances but for a 2 year ban for failing a drugs test in 2006.

--

FEBRUARY

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Morilla 43, Gonzalez 85)
Malaga 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino (Zabalza), Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, X.Lopez, Morilla, Gonzalez*, Martin (Goni)

Not our greatest performance but we got a couple of goals and a clean sheet so I cant complain.

--

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 2nd Leg
50125.png
v
50051.png

Athletic Bilbao 4 (Iturrino 11, Sancet 13, Gonzalez 15, Martin 34)
Real Madrid 2 (Bailey 45, Vinicius Junior 75)
(Agg: 5-3)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, X.Lopez, Morilla (Saizar), Gonzalez*, Martin

We were magnificent in the 1st half and surged into a 4 goal lead. We got pegged back but naturally I am delighted that we reach another final.

--

v
50125.png

Valencia 2 (Guedes 44, Thauvin 89)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Iturrino 58, Martin 59)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte (Zabalza), Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, X.Lopez, Morilla, Gonzalez, Martin

While I am pleased that we got a point after being 2nd best throughout I am not happy at throwing away 2pts so late on in the game.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg

v
50125.png

Benfica 1 (Sanches 38)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Gonzalez 71pen, Goni 82)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, X.Lopez, Morilla (Saizar), Gonzalez, Martin (Goni)

We got away with that here as we were a goal behind and struggling until they had a man sent-off just after the hour mark and after that we took control and managed to edge the match.

--

50124.png
v
50125.png

Atletico Madrid 2 (Griezmann 4, Vivaldo 17)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Martin 37, Morilla 71)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola (Segura), Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet (Montes), Williams (X.Lopez), Morilla*, Gonzalez, Martin

Another draw!!!! Tbh I am happy that we fought back from 2 goals down to salvage a point. Morilla equalised with a beauty from 25 yards.

--

v
50125.png

Celta Vigo 1 (Santamaria 17)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Iturrino 8, Gonzalez 28pen, Martin 42)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams (X.Lopez), Morilla, Gonzalez*, Martin

A good win but it could have been even better as Gonzalez had 2 goals disallowed which denied him a hat-trick.

--

50125.png
v
52822.png

Athletic Bilbao 5 (Martin 29, Iturrino 39, Morilla 40, 90, Sancet 50)
Real Zaragoza 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams (X.Lopez), Morilla*, Gonzalez, Martin (Goni)

A superb win and performance but I am left frustrated as Imanol Gonzalez missed 2 penalties which would have made it an even more emphatic victory had he scored.

--

v
50125.png

Real Betis 2 (Sesma 61, Llorente 86)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Martin 5, Iturrino 10)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola (Segura), Iturrino*, Laporte, Jimenez, Zubillaga, Montes, Williams (Bengoetxea), Saizar (Ruiz), Gonzalez, Martin

Not good enough. Even though I was missing a few players it was not acceptable that we threw away a 2 goal lead and it could have been worse as they even had a goal disallowed. Saizar got injured and will be out for 2 months while Gaspar Ruiz made his 1st team debut.

--

v
50125.png

Real Oviedo 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Iturrino 5, Martin 31, Nyland og62)

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino*, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Juan Carlos), Gonzalez, Martin

Iturrino has scored in his last 4 league games and 5 out of his last 6 while Martin has scored in each of his last 6 league games.

--

SUMMARY

February was another hectic month as we had so many league games to fit in as well as the 2nd leg of the Copa del Rey semi and our 1st leg of our match with Benfica. In the league we won most of our games apart from 2 draws with Atletico Madrid and Real Betis and we are 14pts clear so all is good.

A special mention goes to Alex Iturrino. With the departure of Muniain Iturrino is now our captain (as he is with Spain) and at only 19 years of age he is truly exceptional. He scored 5 goals this month as he led by example.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ALEX ITURRINO

View attachment 19005

--

LIGA SANTANDER
View attachment 19004

Last edited:
th

Gorka Iraizoz
2007-2017
Goalkeeper
392 apps, 0 goals

Iraizoz came through Athletic's youth system but really made his name at Espanyol before he returned to Athletic where he became the No 1 for a decade. He once scored a last minute equaliser in a match which was wrongly disallowed.

--

MARCH

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Martin 4, Gonzalez 10pen, 57)
Benfica 1 (Simoes 42)
(Agg: 5-2)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino (A.Lopez), Zabalza, Melgarejo, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Juan Carlos), Gonzalez*, Martin

We are safely through to the next stage as we easily beat Benfica here.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Iturrino 13, Goni 85pen)
Sevilla 0

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino*, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams, Morilla (Juan Carlos), Gonzalez (Bengoetxea), Martin (Goni)

That's now 5 games in a row that Iturrino has scored in the league - unbelievable for a central defender.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Gonzalez 35pen, 53, Goni 68)
Sporting Gijon 1 (Sanz 45)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Zabalza, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams (X.Lopez), Morilla (Juan Carlos), Bengoetxea (Goni), Gonzalez*

No goals for Iturrino here today but Gonzalez got a double as he got a rare game in his natural position as a striker.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Martin 7, 48, Gonzalez 49, X.Lopez 68)
Espanyol 0

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Zabalza (A.Lopez), Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, X.Lopez, Morilla (Juan Carlos), Gonzalez, Martin*

A comfortable win. Alfonso Lopez amazingly made his first league appearance of the season here while Xabi Lopez scored the goal of the game as he volleyed in from 15 yards. Morilla got injured and is out for a month or so.

--

v
50125.png

Getafe 1 (Mina 57)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Williams 10pen, Martin 26)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Zabalza*, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Zubillaga), Montes, Williams (X.Lopez), Juan Carlos, Bengoetxea (Goni), Martin

We went into a 2 goal lead and that was fine but after that we were awful and I am not particularly happy with that performance. This win secures Champions League qualification so I am given my initial transfer budget - £381m.

--

SUMMARY

On the field this month we did well this month as we won every match so I cant have too many complaints!!! The league campaign is all but over and I am just waiting to secure the title before resting my first team although I may try a new formation with my 1st team just to experiment when things are settled. That being said I could play my B team for the rest of the season and the title would still be ours.

In the Champions League we knocked out Benfica and have Barcelona in the next round.

As for the youth intake we got a few average players but 2 players really stood out. One will be my backup keeper for next season.
View attachment 18878View attachment 18877

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IMANOL GONZALEZ
View attachment 18876

--

LIGA SANTANDER

View attachment 18875

--

th

SPAIN

Friendly
esp.gif
v
col.gif

Spain 4 (Sancet 7, Mina og19, Asensio 28, Manga 86)
Colombia 1 (Benedetti 90)

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola, Iturrino, Mere, Aaron Martin (Zabalza), Saul (Sergio Gomez), Sancet*, Williams (Suso), Asensio (Morilla), Gonzalez, Martin (Manga)

Nice and easy. Young Barcelona striker Sergio Manga made his debut here and got a goal to boot.

--

Friendly
esp.gif
v
nir.gif

Spain 5 (Asensio 4, Martin 11, 14, Williams 16, Iturrino 54)
Northern Ireland 0

Lineup - De Gea (Simon), Bellerin, Iturrino (Lopez), Mere, Gaya (Aaron Martin), Saul (Rodri), Nolaskoain, Williams*, Morilla, Asensio (Sergio Gomez), Martin (Manga)

Last edited:
th

Manuel Sarabia
1978-1988
Forward
382 apps, 118 goals

Sarabia was part of the golden Athletic side of the early 1980s which won 2 league titles and a Copa del Rey. He played 15 times for Spain and scored 2 goals.

--

APRIL

v
50125.png

Huesca 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Zabalza 10, Williams 37, Goni 74)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino (A.Lopez), Zabalza*, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Zubillaga), Sancet, Williams, Juan Carlos, Bengoetxea, Martin (Goni)

A comfortable victory. Zabalza scored a great free-kick while Inaki Goni continues to impress as a super sub as he got his 16th goal of the season.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg
v
50125.png

Barcelona 1 (Manga 24)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Nolaskoain 78)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola (Segura), Iturrino, Zabalza, Jimenez, Nolaskoain*, Sancet, Williams, Juan Carlos, Gonzalez (Bengoetxea), Martin (Goni)

We got away with a score draw here as we were pretty poor in truth. Manga put them in front but he got sent-off in the 2nd half and from there we were able to equalise when Nolaskoain scored from the edge of the area. A good result but a poor performance.

Juan Carlos has finally been getting a string of starts due to injuries to Saizar and Morilla but tbh he has been pretty poor so far and he hasn't been training well either.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Gonzalez 73, Goni 79)
Levante 1 (Sergi 62)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Zabalza, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Zubillaga), Montes, Williams (X.Lopez), Juan Carlos, Gonzalez, Martin (Goni)

This win secures our 7th consecutive La Liga title. We weren't at our best here and fell behind but goals from Gonzalez and supersub Goni won us the match.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg
50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 4 (Pogba og23, Montes 56, Gonzalez 63, Williams 68)
Barcelona 3 (Joshua 9, Pogba 32, Schick 71)
(Agg: 5-4)

Lineup
- Simon, Segura, Iturrino, Laporte (A.Lopez), Melgarejo, Nolaskoain, Sancet (Zubillaga), Williams, Montes*, Gonzalez, Martin (Goni)

This was an entertaining affair with 7 goals and fortunately we just edged it. Manolo Montes isn't a natural AMC but he was the best player on the park here.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Goni 58pen)
Real Sociedad 0

Lineup
- Simon, Segura, A.Lopez (Etxaniz), Zabalza*, Melgarejo, Zubillaga, Lasa, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos, Bengoetxea (Sanchez), Goni (Antonio David)

I entrusted my backups to keep our unbeaten league campaign going and they just did enough here. Goni scored his 9th league goal of the season and his 18th overall to earn us all 3pts.

--

50051.png
v
50125.png

Real Madrid 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Sancet 76)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola*, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, Williams (X.Lopez), Juan Carlos, Gonzalez, Martin (Goni)

I am delighted with this win as it keeps our unbeaten campaign going. They had a goal disallowed in the 1st half and had other chances but we got the goal and held on.

--

v
50125.png

Villarreal 0
Athletic Bilbao 0

Lineup
- Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga (Santiago), Montes, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos, Bengoetxea (Barandiaran), Goni (Antonio David)

A nothing match although Simon kept his 25th clean sheet in the league this season which is a record. Barandiaran and Santiago made their debuts here with Barandiaran becoming the clubs youngest ever player at 15 years and 315 days.

--

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 1st Leg
50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Juan Carlos 25)
Bayern Munich 1 (Arp 3)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola (Segura), Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain, Sancet, Williams (Saizar), Juan Carlos, Gonzalez, Martin (Goni)

We have a tough job on our hands to qualify now as we failed to take advantage of Bayern having a man sent-off in the 2nd half. Saizar returned from injury and Juan Carlos celebrated signing a new contract by finally getting his first goal of the season.

--

SUMMARY

We go into the final month of the season with a bit of work still to do. Sure the league is all wrapped up and I will play my backups in the final 3 games but we are aiming to go the entire league (and cup) campaign unbeaten so there is pressure on. We also have the Copa del Rey final to play but the biggest challenge will be to get a result away to Bayern Munich to reach the Champions League final.

Fingers crossed!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ARITZ ZABALZA

View attachment 18756

--

LIGA SANTANDER

View attachment 18755

Last edited:
th

Andoni Goikoetxea
1974-1987
Defender
369 apps, 44 goals

Known as "The Butcher of Bilbao", Goikoetxea famously broke Diego Maradona's ankle with a shocking challenge. He was a key figure in the successful side of the early 1980s and won 39 caps for Spain, scoring 4 times.

--

MAY

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Zabalza 6, Antonio David 78pen)
Celta Vigo 1 (Moreno 25)

Lineup
- Simon, Segura, Etxaniz, Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga, Montes, X.Lopez, Saizar (Ruiz), Bengoetxea (Sanchez), Goni (Antonio David)

This was a tough match and Celta had a goal disallowed too but we got the win thanks to Antonio David's first league goal for us.

--

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg
v
50125.png

Bayern Munich 3 (Bruun Larsen 55, Arp 98, 116)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Williams 21, Goni 107, 110)
(AET - Agg: 4-4, Athletic Bilbao win on away goals)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, Williams, Juan Carlos (Saizar), Gonzalez, Martin (Goni)

What a match this was and it really exploded into life in extra-time. Inaki Goni was our hero as he scored twice but he missed a chance for his hat-trick. They had chances to win it too but we rode our luck and just clung on.

--

89727.png
v
50125.png

Eibar 0
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Saizar 73)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Zabalza, Melgarejo, Zubillaga, Montes, X.Lopez, Juan Carlos (Saizar*), Bengoetxea (Sanchez), Goni (Antonio David)

We were pretty poor here and had to rely on a moment of magic from Saizar as he struck from 25 yards to give us the 3pts. The win takes us up to 101pts for the season.

--

50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (X.Lopez 49, 90)
Leganes 0

Lineup
- Simon, Segura, A.Lopez, Etxaniz, Melgarejo, Zubillaga, Montes, X.Lopez*, Saizar (Juan Carlos), Bengoetxea (Sanchez), Goni (Antonio David)

--

Copa del Rey Final
50125.png
v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Williams 4, Nolaskoain 22, Martin 67)
Valencia 1 (Cuenca 24)

Lineup - Simon, Segura, Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez (Melgarejo), Nolaskoain, Sancet (Montes), Williams*, Saizar (Morilla), Gonzalez, Martin

We retain the Copa del Rey with victory over Valencia here. Morilla made his comeback from injury off the bench which was a boost while Segura stepped in for the suspended Odriozola.

--

UEFA Champions League Final
v
50125.png

Inter Milan 2 (Gatto 49, Joveljic 65)
Athletic Bilbao 6 (Martin 4, 75, Sancet 24, Gonzalez 52, Laporte 60, X.Lopez 89)

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola (Segura), Iturrino, Laporte, Jimenez, Nolaskoain (Montes), Sancet, Williams (X.Lopez), Saizar, Gonzalez*, Martin

What a way to win a final!!! We were superb here and blew Inter away with 6 goals as they couldn't cope with us. An amazing performance on the biggest of stages although conceding 2 goals isn't good lol.

--

SUMMARY

We ended the season in fine fashion as we ended up seeing out the entire campaign being unbeaten in all competitions. There were some magical moments from Inaki Goni's double to see us through against Bayern Munich and the thumping we gave Inter Milan in the final of the Champions League as we beat them 6-2.

Now for the World Cup!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ALBERTO SAIZAR

View attachment 18671

th

Aritz Aduriz
2002-03, 2006-08, 2012-present
Forward
383 games, 171 goals

Aduriz is still playing for Athletic at the ripe old age of 38. He has had 3 spells with Athletic and played 11 times for Spain, scoring 2 goals.

--

END OF SEASON POST

Another year and another heap of trophies as yet again we won everything available to us and this time we managed to be unbeaten throughout the whole campaign which is quite incredible. It is a bit too easy but it is still fun. Maybe I should take over some Spanish sides when they lose their manager and just arrange some transfers for them - I dunno lol.

In the league we ended up with 104pts and finished 25pts ahead of the 2nd placed side. We scored 92 goals and only conceded 16 with us at one stage of the season keeping 18 clean sheets in a row. What we aim to achieve next is to win every match although that may be unrealistic.

The minor cups were won easily both at home and abroad while in the Copa del Rey we defeated Valencia in the final after knocking out our rivals Real Sociedad and Real Madrid amongst others. In the Champions League we also found it tough after the group stage as Barcelona and especially Bayern Munich ran us close but we managed to sneak through and then we hit Inter for 6 in the final.

Not much else to say about what happened on the pitch but I suppose off it I broke our transfer record to bring Ignacio Martin back to the club.

--

LIGA SANTANDER
View attachment 18661

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD
View attachment 18660View attachment 18659

Goalkeepers - Unai Simon played all 64 games for us and kept 39 clean sheets in all competitions with 27 coming in the league. Not much else to say really lol.

Defenders - Of course Unai Simon cant get all the credit for the clean sheet record as my defence were at times unbeatable. They have such high standards that it is hard to single out a single player but Alex Iturrino's 11 goals was impressive. Aritz Zabalza once again improved and would walk into just about any other side.

Midfielders - Nolaskoain and Sancet were solid as usual but they didn't get the amount of goals that they did last time out. Manolo Montes suffered from injuries but Unai Zubillaga came into the squad and impressed. Inaki Williams was decent on the right with his backup, Xabi Lopez, came onto a game this term while in AMC we struggled with injuries and inconsistency tbh with Morilla and Saizar suffering from both while Juan Carlos was largely disappointing when he got a chance.

Forwards - Imanol Gonzalez was great although he was always played on the left wing but he still managed to score 5 goals in one match. Ignacio Martin came back to the club and top scored with 35 goals while all credit goes to Inaki Goni as my backup striker was our super sub and changed the course of many games and ended up with 20 goals for the season.

My Player of the Season - Alex Iturrino
My Young Player of the Season - Inaki Goni
Must Do Better - Pelayo Morilla
Donkey of the Season - Juan Carlos

--

OTHER TEAMS

My B side are either going to finish 2nd or 3rd in Liga 123 as there is one game left. They have done so well once again and have some terrific talents in there such as Lasa, Sanchez, Brais, Oyono, Borrega and Bacaicoa. Considering the 2nd top scorer in Liga 123 was out on loan from my B side shows the strength of my B team!!!

As for Newcastle well we just had to avoid relegation and going into the winter transfer window we were mired in a relegation battle but after overhauling the squad they managed to finish 10th so I am happy with that. (I only take over when there is a transfer window).

th

SPAIN

Friendly
crc.gif
v
esp.gif

Costa Rica 0
Spain 3 (Gonzalez 19, Asensio 29, 36)

Lineup
- De Gea, Odriozola, Iturrino, Mere, Gaya (Aaron Martin), Rodri, Joshua, Williams (Suso), Asensio*, Gonzalez (Morilla), Martin (Manga)

--

Friendly
esp.gif
v
smr.gif

Spain 12 (Martin 9, Williams 19, 52, 65, 79, Asensio 23, 32pen, Gonzalez 25, Iturrino 29, Joshua 50, 64, Manga 83)
San Marino 0

Lineup - De Gea, Odriozola (Bellerin), Iturrino, Mere (Zabalza), Gaya (Aaron Martin), Rodri (Saizar), Joshua, Williams*, Asensio, Gonzalez, Martin (Manga)

This is my usual pre-tournament friendly against minnows to boost my players confidence and they should be flying after a 12-0 win. They had a man sent-off while we had 62 efforts on goal!!

--

SQUAD FOR THE 2026 WORLD CUP

Goalkeepers
NAMEPOSCLUBAGEVALUECAPSGOALS
Kepa ARRIZABALAGAGKChelsea31£43m30
David DE GEAGKManchester United35£36.5m1340
Unai SIMONGKAthletic Bilbao28£54m60

Defenders
AARON MARTINDLBorussia Dortmund29£55m201
Hector BELLERINDRArsenal31£44m462
Jorge CUENCADCValencia26£40m20
Jose GAYADLManchester City31£41m561
Alex ITURRINODCAthletic Bilbao20£60m308
Jorge MEREDCArsenal29£52m704
Alvaro ODRIOZOLADRAthletic Bilbao30£57m462
Aritz ZABALZADCAthletic Bilbao22£61m90

Midfielders
Marco ASENSIOAMLCLiverpool30£66m8937
JOSHUAAMCBarcelona22£44.5m43
Pelayo MORILLAAMCAthletic Bilbao24£73m275
RODRIMCAtletico Madrid29£60m453
Alberto SAIZARAMCAthletic Bilbao22£70m120
Oihan SANCETMCAthletic Bilbao26£71m288
SAULMCAtletico Madrid31£52m749
SUSOAMRAC Milan32£34.5m468
Inaki WILLIAMSAMRAthletic Bilbao31£67m6127

Forwards
Imanol GONZALEZAML/STAthletic Bilbao23£90m2924
Sergio MANGASTBarcelona20£14m42
Ignacio MARTINSTAthletic Bilbao23£99m4435

Players just missing out were my own Jimenez, Bengoetxea, Juan Carlos, Segura, A.Lopez, Nolaskoian and Goni while Sergio Gomez, Ceballos, Mayoral, Maffeo and Cuevas also were in with a shout.