Aitor Herrera - The King Of Bilbao

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
1582896566666.png

AITOR HERRERA - THE KING OF BILBAO

Right here we go. I was originally holding off my Bilbao save until the end of the season so I could see if they qualified for Europe for next year but I really want to get my teeth into a long term save after a spell of uncertainty so here I am with my go to FM20 save.

Regular readers all know about Aitor Herrera and his fame in football manager and naturally I will be managing as him. I actually got an Athletic top in the summer but baulked at the idea of spending half the cost of the shirt to get Herrera 8 on the back of it lol.

The aim of the save is global domination. It will take a while naturally as I can only sign Basque players or Spaniards who are 16y/o or younger so it will be mainly down to me developing youngsters to the levels that will be required.

Please follow and comment!!!!

--

1582896305860.png

Founded - 1898
Nickname - Los Leones (The Lions)
Stadium - San Mames
Capacity - 53,289
Rivals - Real Sociedad (Vasco Derby)

1582896444075.png

Honours

La Liga Winners (8) - 1929-30, 1930-31, 1933-34, 1935-36, 1942-43, 1955-56, 1982-83, 1983-84

Copa del Rey Winners (23) - 1903, 1904, 1910, 1911, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1921, 1923, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1943, 1944, 1944-45, 1949-50, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1959, 1972-73, 1983-84

Supercopa Espana Winners (2) - 1984, 2015

Copa Eva Duarte Winners (1) - 1950​

Attachments

• 1582896546229.png
    1582896546229.png
    403.2 KB · Views: 67
1582903566826.png

PRE-SEASON

So I arrived in Bilbao and got straight to work, overhauling the clubs backroom staff and structures from top to bottom. The squad is capable enough and although I had £21m of a transfer budget I wasn't planning on signing anyone for the first team permanently and decided to look out for prospects instead.

Due to the winter update though my vice captain, Oscar De Marcos, is out injured for 8-10 months which is a huge blow although he would be my backup RB but that was compounded by the fact that my backup backup RB, Inigo Lekue was also out for a couple of months!

I inherit a squad with a decent first XI with some star quality in Simon, Martinez, Yuri, Williams, Muniain and Raul Garcia but I have an ageing side with the likes of Raul Garcia, Benat, San Jose and De Marcos all being 30 or over and of course my best striker, Aritz Aduriz, being 38!!!!

It is imperative that I develop or find another striker to replace Aduriz sharpish.

Anywho onto my transfer dealings and only 2 players left as I sold my backup keeper Iago Herrerin to Wolfsburg for £9.25m and my 3rd choice striker, Kenan Kodro, to Rennes for £1.2m. Neither were ever going to play for me so I was happy to cash in.

I did sign 3 players to add depth to my first team squad. To replace Iago Herrerin I brought in 17y/o keeper Ivan Martinez from Iruna (Osasuna's B side) for £1.1m. He looks a fine prospect and although he has a quality keeper in the shape of Unai Simon in front of him I have high hopes.
i.martinez.png

Now for my 2 main signings and hopefully they will end up being 2 of my biggest signings for the long term in this save. I moved to bring in Ansu Fati (£4m) and Iliax Moriba (£1m) on loan from Barcelona. I don't have an agreement to sign them permanently but to bring them in and give them Basque nationality was my immediate priority. I had them in my Newcastle save and they were both excellent so I now have to strive to get them in permanently.
fati.png

moriba.png

My remaining signings (apart from a few for the B team at a cost of £3m) were prospects for the U19s. Carlos Alvarez is apparently the top hot prospect at the club which is something considering I have Sancet, Ivan Martinez and Serrano in the ranks amongst others.
alvarez.png

rodriguez.png

rodri.png

--

SQUAD

Simon will be my keeper. My back four will be Ander Capa at RB and Yuri at LB with Yeray and Inigo Martinez being my centre halves which is tough on Unai Nunez who is also a quality player. Dani Garcia and Benat will play at CM while I will go with Muniain at LW, Raul Garcia at AMC and Inaki Williams at AMR although that could all change if my striker, Aduriz, doesn't perform as I may move Williams up front or play Fati and in Cordoba and Ibai Gomez I do have quality backup wingers.

I have promoted Oihan Sancet to the first team squad to give him some game time but I don't expect him to start any time soon.

--

AIMS FOR THE SEASON

Qualify for Europe, develop my youngsters and hopefully improve my B team. It is vital that they get promoted to the 2nd tier of Spanish football ASAP so I can develop my youngsters at a high level.​

Aduriz has been around forever!! Carlos Alvarez looks like he could potentially fill the gap up top, Some decent stats for being 15!

1582963669028.png

AUGUST

celta.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Balenziaga), Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Fati), Aduriz

A fine start to my career. We got 2 early goals and held on although it was a poor game in truth. Ansu Fati came on for his debut while Aduriz became the clubs oldest player and goal scorer here.

--

villa.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

I am delighted with the result but more so with the performance as we battered Villarreal. They barely threatened while we dominated but we struggled to score until Benat stepped up and fired in a free-kick.

--

rmad.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Unbelievable. To beat Real Madrid away is always great. To do it in our first season is even better but to thump them 5-1 is out of this world. We were excellent and took the lead when Williams finished and when Aduriz converted a penalty it was 2-0 at half-time and I thought we would just have to hold on. Not so! Ramos pulled one back for Real and I got a horrible feeling in my stomach but Yeray headed in a 3rd and then Capa got a very fortunate 4th and Cordoba rounded things off.

Incredible!

--

SUMMARY

If you were to say after the first month that we would have won all 3 games I would have thought you were mad and if you had said we would have beaten Real Madrid 5-1 away I would have sent you to the funny farm but that is exactly what happened. Maybe we have peaked too soon as I cant imagine us getting a better result however long this save lasts lol.

I didn't make any other transfers in the transfer window so its as you were.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
BENAT
BENAT.png

--

LA LIGA
jkjj.png

Last edited:
1582979781049.png

SEPTEMBER

osasuna.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Balenziaga), Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz

Another impressive victory as we put 4 past one of our rivals - Osasuna. Capa and Martinez got us off to a flyer and an Aduriz penalty sealed things before half-time. Benat scored from a free-kick to finish things off.

--

espanyol.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Balenziaga), Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

Our fine form continues as we swot aside Espanyol. Benat has started the season in top form and got a double here with 2 efforts from just outside the area. We have won 5 out of 5 and are 2pts clear at the top of the table.

--

alaves.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Gomez), Aduriz (Fati)

The Benat show continues. He was imperious again here and also had a goal disallowed. Unbelievable stuff.

--

tv.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez*), Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

7 wins out of 7. Aduriz put a first half penalty wide but we took the lead and were dominant. They quickly levelled with their only shot of the game which was disappointing but Fati and Unai Lopez came off the bench to win it for us with Fati scoring his first senior goal.

--

SUMMARY

Our incredible start to the season continued this month as we keep up our 100% record. With 21 goals scored we are averaging 3 goals a game and we have only conceded twice which sees us top of the table by 3pts. Sure the fixture list has been kind but we have been amazing.

Speaking of amazing - Benat!!!!!! He has been ridiculous as the 32y/o has scored 5 goals in 7 games (plus had 1 disallowed), got 3 assists and 5 MOM awards and in our last match he got the same rating as Unai Lopez who got the MOM award.

We go into October knowing that surely this run cant continue and our next match is against Barcelona!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
BENAT
benat.png

--

LA LIGA
sept.png

Attachments

• granada.png
    granada.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 72
1582991000183.png

OCTOBER

barcelona.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams (Unai Lopez), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Villalibre)

Meh. The run was always going to end at some point. We actually matched Barcelona here but they had world class forwards which made the difference. Muniain finally put in a decent performance and got a goal while I have started with the same XI in all my games so far.

--

valladolid.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Nunez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

Back to winning ways. I was forced to make my first change in my lineup as Inigo Martinez got injured playing for Spain so Unai Nunez came in and scored. Williams almost had a hat-trick but one of his strikes was given as an own goal. As for Benat - 2 assists was enough to give him yet another MOM award.

--

betis.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, San Jose, Nunez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

My first draw and the also the first time we fail to score. Betis are a decent side and deserved a point while my forwards had an off day. We move on. Mikel San Jose made his first appearance of the season here as Yeray was unavailable.

--

valencia.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Balenziaga), Dani Garcia, Benat (Sancet), Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz

A fantastic result and performance. Valencia are one of the sides in the same bracket as us in Spanish football if not slightly ahead but we tore them apart here. Old man Aduriz got a double while Williams (who got 2 assists) and Cordoba also chipped in. Unfortunately Benat got injured and will be out for a month - a huge loss.

--

SUMMARY

Although we slipped up a couple of times this month with a defeat to Barcelona and a draw with Betis we are still in fine fettle and lie 2nd in the league table. Our defeat against Barcelona was harsh but their superior quality won on the day. We then trounced Valladolid before being held to a dull goalless draw with Betis and we wrapped things up with a great 4-0 victory over Valencia.

Off the field the club have agreed to buy the San Mames in the summer which is a big thing while the youth facilities are also being upgraded. Finally one of my youth coaches has been poached to be manager of Villarreal B.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INAKI WILLIAMS

WILLIAMS.png

--

LA LIGA
OCT.png

1583002813296.png

NOVEMBER

leganes.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Moriba), Sancet*, Williams (Unai Lopez), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Gomez), Aduriz

Who needs Benat when you have Sancet? Oihan Sancet came in for his first start and opened the scoreline in the opening minutes and from then on we cruised it. Moriba came off the bench to make his debut.

--

atletico.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

A good draw with Sancet yet again impressing for us. I would have made subs but my girlfriend distracted me as she wanted me to move the sofa to hoover lol. The things the public don't see behind management lol. Did that cost us? I told her it did!

--

rsoc.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Lekue), Yeray, Nunez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet (Moriba), Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Derby day joy!!!! We beat our bitterest rivals here thanks to an all too rare goal from Muniain and a 4th goal of the season from Yeray. To make things even better Sociedad sacked their manager after this match.

In this game weekend Barcelona beat Valladolid 9-0 while Granada beat Espanyol 5-4.

--

SUMMARY

Only 3 games this month but I am delighted with how things went. We easily beat Leganes and then got a great point away to Atletico Madrid before beating our deadliest rivals, Real Sociedad, also away from home.

We are 4pts behind Barcelona at the top of the league but realistically that's not where our ambitions lie this season. We do however seem more than likely to cement a European place which is critical for a number of reasons. From rotating my first team squad to the finances involved - not that we are poor.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
OIHAN SANCET
sancet.png

Last edited:
1583058213770.png

DECEMBER

sevilla.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa (Nunez), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri*, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz

Another great win as my team keep on pushing forwards. Despite falling behind we battled back to win with Yuri getting his first goal of the season and Aduriz nabbing the winner.

--

levante.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet, Gomez (Unai Lopez), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Villalibre)

A poor result and a poor performance. We created nothing going forward and really struggled in truth.

--

mallorca.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray (Nunez), Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet (Moriba), Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain*, Aduriz (Fati)

If we were poor in our last match we were excellent here as we put 5 past struggling Mallorca. Dani Garcia got his 1st goal of the season and also got injured while Muniain netted a double which was pleasing as both he and Raul Garcia have been disappointing in the goal charts.

--

getafe.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Sancet (Moriba), Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Villalibre), Fati*

Back to back 5 goal hauls. We were without Aduriz who is out for nearly 2 months but Ansu Fati came into the side and got a brace. Raul Garcia had a goal disallowed too so it could have been more while Moriba got his 1st goal of his career.

--

Copa del Rey 1st Round
zalla.png

Lineup
- Simon, Lekue, Nunez, San Jose, Balenziaga, Sancet*, Moriba, Gomez (Larrazabal), Unai Lopez, Cordoba (Serrano), Fati (Villalibre)

Out came the backups and although we won I expected a larger winning margin. Larrazabal made his 1st appearance of the season while 16y/o Serrano came off the bench to make his debut and to become the youngest ever player to play in the cup.

--

SUMMARY

2019 ends and we are in fine fettle. In the league we beat Sevilla and although we dropped points at home to Levante we put 5 past both Mallorca and Getafe to see us still in 2nd place, 4pts behind the leaders Barcelona. European football for next season should be a given but its the Champions League that we are aiming for.

In the Copa del Rey we beat Zalla with my backups and they will get an opportunity again in the 2nd round as we have been drawn against Ferrol.

Next month the January transfer window is open. One player is leaving with maybe another couple too. I will look to bring in a couple but we shall see.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
YURI
yuri.png

--

LA LIGA
DEC.png

Attachments

• mallorca.png
    mallorca.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 1583058225131.png
    1583058225131.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 71
1583079966142.png

JANUARY

eibar.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Moriba), Benat, Williams (Unai Lopez), Raul Garcia*, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

We return from the winter break and get a narrow victory. We were 2up and cruising but in the 2nd half they came back and had a goal disallowed before they pulled one back in stoppage time.

--

Copa del Rey 2nd Round
ferrol.png

Lineup
- Simon, Lekue, Nunez, Vivian, Balenziaga*, Sancet (Vesga), Moriba, Rodriguez, Unai Lopez, Cordoba (Serrano), Fati (Villalibre)

Through we go. Despite falling behind to a shock goal Fati got us level before Lekue scored a screamer and then Balenziaga fired in a free-kick. Vesga came off the bench to make his 1st appearance this season and rounded things off. Vivian and Rodriguez made their debuts here with Rodriguez breaking Serrano's record of being the youngest ever player.

--

1-1.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams (Unai Lopez), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Aduriz)

Extremely frustrating. We played Granada off the park but a defensive slip up gave them a point.

--

2-1.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Villalibre)

A huge victory as we move within 3pts of Barcelona as we inflict their 2nd league defeat of the season. It was an even match but we just edged it and I am left rueing the 2pts dropped away to Granada even more now!

--

Copa del Rey 3rd Round
pens.png

Lineup
- Simon, Aguirregabiria, Nunez, Martinez, Yuri, Sancet (Vesga), Moriba*, Williams (Larrazabal), Raul Garcia, Cordoba, Fati (Villalibre)

We are through but it should have been much more comfortable than a penalty shoot-out victory. I went with a half strength side and they were decent enough and my recent signing, Aguirregabiria, made his debut. Sancet got an injury though and will be out for a month.

--

4-1.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Aguirregabiria), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Moriba, Benat*, Williams (Larrazabal), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Fati), Aduriz

This is what should have happened in the cup match! We cruised it here and Martinez also had a goal disallowed. By the way - we are unbeaten in our last 14 league games!

--

Copa del Rey 4th Round
celta.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri*, Dani Garcia (Vesga), Benat, Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

I don't know the tactics Celta play but that's twice we have faced them and both times they have had over 60% possession which goes against the grain as we usually out possess everyone! Anywho we edged it here thanks to a great strike from Yuri.

--

SUMMARY

As ever in Spain - January is a hectic month with league and cup games coming thick and fast and we came out of it in a stronger position than we entered it so I am happy. In the league we were near perfect with only a draw against Granada letting us down but immediately after that we defeated Barcelona and we end the month just 1pt behind the Catalan giants - the impossible dream may just be possible!!

In the cup we have reached the quarter-finals and we have a tasty tie against our deadliest rivals, Real Sociedad coming up. Barcelona and Real Madrid are also still lurking about in the competition so it will be tough to come out on top there.

Quite a bit of transfer news to tell you. I had already arranged to sell Mikel San Jose to Nice for £9m so he departed early on while Ibai Gomez was let go for £5m and Inigo Lekue was sold to Alaves for £4.6m. With that I recouped nearly £20m but my first team weren't happy about the strength of the squad.

In the end I only brought in one player and that was the Alaves RB Martin Aguirregaribia. I paid £10.5m to get him in which is a bit steep but at 23y/o he should be in and around my first team squad for a few years.
aguirre.png

I also brought in Ivan Martin on loan from Villarreal to help out my B side's promotion push. He looks a decent prospect and in the future could be a first team player so I brought him in to have a proper look at him.
martin.png

I also called up Dani Vivian into the first team squad to replace San Jose and I registered Oscar De Marcos to play now that he has almost returned from injury. Finally I also agreed to sign a player for next season......

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
BENAT
OLD MAN.png

--

LIGA BBVA
JAN.png

Attachments

• OLD MAN.png
    OLD MAN.png
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • 1583079859797.png
    1583079859797.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 67
  • OLD MAN.png
    OLD MAN.png
    1 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Doesnt it take out a bit of the fun being so good in the first season and almosy winning La Liga with actually a pretty mediocre Bilbao side? Not being a hatet just curious what keeps you going.

Dont be too mad but I'm actually going to the San Mames in the summer to watch Spain in the Euro's!

1583180297582.png

FEBRUARY

betis.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Nunez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Vesga), Moriba*, Larrazabal (Unai Lopez), Raul Garcia, Cordoba, Aduriz (Fati)

For most of this match we were shocking and took us to fall behind before we clicked into gear. I find it very ironic that my 2 players on loan from Barcelona drove us to victory to hamper their parent side. Even better - Barcelona drew so we go 1pt clear at the top!

--

Copa del Rey Quarter-Final
sociedad.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Moriba), Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Cordoba (Fati), Aduriz

Excellent. We win the Vasco derby in fine style as we tear apart Sociedad in their own ground and we march on into the semis.

--

eibar.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Moriba), Benat, Williams*, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Aduriz

If we keep on winning nobody can catch us!!!! We put in another top notch performance here and cruised to a 4-0 win. We are now 3pts clear at the top of the table as Barcelona drew again!

--

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 1st Leg
rmadrid.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Balenziaga, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams, Unai Lopez (Moriba), Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

Hard to judge this match. On one hand I am happy that we are only 1 goal behind with 2 away goals but by the fact that we were level going into stoppage time and to end up losing is hard to take. Real Madrid definitely deserved their win but we have a chance in the 2nd leg and thats what I wanted before kick-off.

--

0-0.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Aguirregaribia), Yeray, Martinez, Balenziaga, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Not good enough. We were awful here and how we escaped with a point is beyond me. We have to up our levels for our next match in the cup against Real Madrid.

--

celta.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

We bounce back with a terrific away victory. Williams put us in front and Ansu Fati scored a great 2nd goal for us.

--

getafe.png

Lineup - Ivan Martinez, Capa, Yeray*, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

This win means we have went 19 games unbeaten in the league - half a campaign - which is an amazing achievement for my first season. Yeray got the only goal of the game while Fati had one disallowed. Ivan Martinez made his debut in goal as Unai Simon has a virus.

--

SUMMARY

As each month passes I get more and more astounded by how my side keeps grinding out results. We are top of the table by 1pt and it seems as though that it is a 2 horse race for the title but if Real Madrid beat ourselves and Barcelona they will be right back in it. As I have said above - we are on a 19 game unbeaten run in the league and although we have slipped up with some wreckless draws we are extremely hard to beat.

In the Copa del Rey we go into the 2nd leg of the semi-final with 2 away goals to our name but with a goal deficit. It is on a knife edge.

Next month has the all important youth intake - I pray for a world class striker lol

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ANDER CAPA
capa.png

--

LIGA BBVA
feb.png

Last edited:
Dont be too mad but I'm actually going to the San Mames in the summer to watch Spain in the Euro's!

WTAF!!!! Mate you have to send me a message with how the stadium is etc. Doing a stadium tour? I have so many questions!!!! It is on my bucket list to be fair.

I may be going to a Euros game at Hampden - the 1st knockout game - my workmate has tickets and I am first reserve as the person he was going to take usually works Saturdays

Doesnt it take out a bit of the fun being so good in the first season and almosy winning La Liga with actually a pretty mediocre Bilbao side? Not being a hatet just curious what keeps you going.

Normally it would ruin it for me but I have a history with Bilbao on FM and I am loving it as ever. Whether we win the league or not I will carry on but some saves/teams just grab hold of you and suck you in and you are blind to the normal thoughts of what if. I am a ****** for having one passive thought about my save in a negative way and it ruining it.

When I did my original Bilbao save it lasted over 20 seasons due to Aitor Herrera and that propelled the story beyond normality. To have a Messi style youngster come in in your 1st youth intake was incredible and he (I say he as if he was real lol) drove the save on. I am forever in his shadow and I long to find his replacement!

1583305151716.png

MARCH

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 2nd Leg
2nd leg.png

Lineup - Ivan Martinez, Capa (Aguirregabiria), Nunez, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Out we go. We were the better side but it wasn't to be as we missed the chances that we created and we are left rueing the 94th minute goal that we conceded in the 1st leg. Annoying.

--

levante.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Aguirregabiria), Nunez, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet (Moriba), Larrazabal, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz

For the 2nd time this season Levante hold us to a draw but I am much more happy about this one as we were down to 10 men for almost the entire 2nd half and we snatched a late equaliser. Barcelona didn't play so the know that we have potentially handed them the advantage.

--

mallorca.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Aguirregaribia), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Sancet (Moriba), Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Nice to get back to winning ways and despite completely dominating I am a bit worried that we only scored once. I fear that our performances are slipping and its up to Barcelona to take advantage of that - but they didnt! Levante got a 0-0 draw against them!

--

SEVILLA.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Nunez), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia (Sancet), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Fuming. Absolutely fuming. We went into this game knowing that Barcelona had lost to Real Madrid so it was a free hit for us and sure when we levelled at 1-1 and had a goal disallowed I kinda thought that we would lose and for the most part with 10 men we were excellent but to capitulate in the final few minutes is simply unacceptable. That cost us in the cup and it may cost us in the league.

--

SUMMARY

March wasn't great for us it has to be said. We were eliminated in the Copa del Rey (albeit narrowly) in the semis by Real Madrid and in the league we struggled badly due to a loss of form and some indiscipline creeping into our game as we drew with Levante, just edged out Mallorca and finally losing 3-1 away to Sevilla which ended our 21 game unbeaten run in the league. Going into the final 8 games we are top of the table, 1pt clear of Barcelona who have the better head to head record and 2pts clear of Real Madrid who we are still to play.

The youth intake was ****. Enough said!!!

Credit to Joseba Etxeberria and my B team as they are top of their league and although they drew their last match they had strung 9 wins in a row together!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
BENAT
BENAT.png

--

LIGA BBVA
MARCH.png

WTAF!!!! Mate you have to send me a message with how the stadium is etc. Doing a stadium tour? I have so many questions!!!! It is on my bucket list to be fair.

I may be going to a Euros game at Hampden - the 1st knockout game - my workmate has tickets and I am first reserve as the person he was going to take usually works Saturdays
Will do mate, not sure if I'll do a stadium tour. Probably will though!

1583355898049.png

APRIL

leganes.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Balenziaga, Dani Garcia, Benat (Sancet), Williams*, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Another narrow victory but it came at a cost as both Benat and Raul Garcia got injured and will be out for a few weeks. Aduriz missed a 1st half penalty so his scoring drought continues but we controlled the game and won so cant complain too much.

--

sociedad.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (De Marcos), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet (Moriba), Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain*, Aduriz

Wonderful. We comfortably win the Vasco derby here with a great performance. We were 3-0 up in 20min and cruised it from then on in. Oscar De Marcos finally made his 1st appearance of the season after being out since I arrived too. A perfect day at the office.

--

atletico.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Larrazabal (Unai Lopez), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

2 more dropped points but I suppose a match against Atletico Madrid was always going to be tough. The draw pretty much ends Atletico Madrid's feint title hopes while we have to hope that the big 2 slip up - but they didnt!

--

1-0.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Balenziaga*, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

A huge win and richly deserved as we put in a perfect away performance. Whats more is that we are back on top of the league as Barcelona and Real Madrid both drew!

--

SUMMARY

The penultimate month of the season is over and we go into the final month 1pt clear of Barcelona and 2pts clear of Real Madrid - it is as tight as a tight thing!!! We had a great month in truth with a standard victory over Leganes happening before we humiliated our bitter rivals Real Sociedad 4-0. I was slightly disappointed when we drew at home with Atletico Madrid but we made up for that loss of points with a fantastic away victory over Valencia.

We have 4 games to go and it is in our hands but - we still have Real Madrid to play at home while Barcelona have an easy fixture list on paper.

Finally - we qualified for the Champions League this month which is a big game changer regarding finances from next season onwards however I have been given a starting transfer budget of only £9.5m so that is not encouraging at all.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN
muniain.png

--

LIGA BBVA
april.png

1583433618934.png

MAY

osasuna.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams (De Marcos), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz

1 win down - 3 games to go as we remain top of the table. We were always in control once we went ahead and we ended up winning easily. Real Madrid is up next - a huge game.

--

madrid.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (De Marcos), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams (Unai Lopez), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz*

GET IN!!!!!!

You could argue that them beating us in the Copa del Rey was revenge for us beating them 5-1 but I prefer to think that this was us getting revenge on the cup defeat. We fell behind and I was fuming and tbh would have taken a draw but we battled back and the old man that is Aduriz levelled and then he tucked away a penalty which proved to be the winner.

If we beat Alaves and Espanyol we will be champions!!!!!!

--

alaves.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray (Nunez), Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

We are now just 1 win away from securing the title as Barcelona also won comfortably. Yeray got his 6th goal of the season which is pretty impressive.

--

espanyol.png

Lineup - Simon, De Marcos (Nunez), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

CHAMPIONS!!!!

We did it!!! Espanyol needed to win to avoid relegation but they didn't even muster a shot on goal so poor were they. Williams got our goal but we needn't have worried as our bitter rivals, Real Sociedad only went and beat Barcelona 2-1.

What a fitting way for Aritz Aduriz to end his career.

--

SUMMARY

What a month. We won all 4 games to secure the title. The huge game was against Real Madrid at the San Mames and despite falling behind we came back to win 2-1 to end their title hopes. Barcelona wouldn't go away though until the final matchday when we won and they lost so we end up winning the league by 4pts.

Stunning achievement for my first season in charge at Athletic.

End of season post to follow.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
BENAT
benat.png

1583442574034.png

END OF SEASON POST

Well what can I say? Never would I imagine that we would win the league in my first season but that is exactly what we did as we finished 4pts clear of Barcelona. We started the season strongly, winning our opening 7 games including a 5-1 win away over Real Madrid before we lost to Barcelona - little did I know that that would only be one of 2 defeats in the league all season.

We then went on a 21 game unbeaten run in the league to go top but Barcelona were always within 2 or 3pts behind us when we went top. Sevilla then beat us when Barcelona also lost and we ended up winning 7 of our last 8 games to secure the title. Incredible.

We also had a good go at the Copa del Rey where we got to the semi finals before Real Madrid narrowly knocked us out by a goal.

Off the field we have continually improved the facilities and we have even bought our stadium so that's all good. Finally my B team were also excellent and not only topped their league but also won through in the play-offs to gain promotion to the 2nd tier of Spanish football.

--

LIGA BBVA
END.png

--

SQUAD
sss.png
squad2.png

Goalkeepers - Unai Simon played in every game bar 2 and was decent enough. Ivan Martinez is a terrific prospect and he kept 2 clean sheets when he was called upon including a cup semi-final match against Real Madrid.

Defenders - In the centre of defence Yeray and Inigo Martinez were terrific. Yeray even notched 6 goals for the season which is a great tally. I felt sorry for Unai Nunez who is a fine player but he didnt get a chance to shine really. At full back both Capa and Yuri held their places brilliantly with Capa being a real surprise and my big signing in January - Aguirregabiria didnt get a look in.

Midfielders
- Star of the season was 32y/o Benat who had an indian summer of his career. He was the creative hub of the side and was named as Spains player of the year. Dani Garcia was his partner and he was solid enough but not spectacular. Oihan Sancet and Moriba are 2 terrific youngsters who got some great experiences too.

At AMC Raul Garcia was a disappointment as he only scored 5 goals which is simply not good enough. While on the wings my 2 star players Muniain and Williams naturally were 1st choice. Muniain was slightly disappointing and just got 10 goals but Williams impressed and netted 18 times. Thier backups, Cordoba and Larrazabal never really got a chance.

Forwards - The weakest part of my side. Old man Aduriz had a decent season goal wise but his performances overall were poor. Ansu Fati is really a winger but was usually played as a sub for Aduriz and he did ok. Villalibre was ineffective.

My Player of the Season
- Benat
My Young Player of the Season - Oihan Sancet
Must Improve - Dani Garcia
Donkey of the Season - Asier Villalibre

--

AIMS FOR THE SUMMER

This will be tricky. I normally get rid of all my players above 30 but that would mean Benat, Raul Garcia and Balenziaga would be sold which means they would have to be replaced which will be the hard part. I will however move heaven and earth to get Moriba and Fati back to the club and also with Aduriz leaving I need to pluck a striker up from somewhere.

Finally with my B team getting promoted I will need to strengthen their squad to make them competitive.

Attachments

• 1583442590859.png
    1583442590859.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 61
1583567374010.png

PRE-SEASON POST

The winds of change gusted through the club this summer I can tell you! I made some tough decisions and tbh I think the squad is weaker than last season although I have made the changes with the long term in mind. I was so busy this summer as not only did I have to think about the first team but I had to try and shape my B team as they are about to start life in the 2nd division.

In other news Spain won the Euros and in the aftermath I was offered the jobs with Serbia, Czech Republic, Bosnia and Republic of Ireland but I rejected them all. Also we bought the San Mames so we now own our ground which is nice.

Regarding transfers I sold 5 first team players for just under £25m and released a couple of dozen youngsters from the B, C and U19 squads. Incoming I spent just over £20m but tbh only half of that was on the 1st team as I brought in 8 regens for the U19 squad.

So let me get into it.

--

PLAYERS OUT

All the old fogeys in the squad are gone despite their importance to our performances last year. Benat is off to China for £8.25m, Oscar De Marcos is now at Basel for £7.5m, Raul Garcia left to join Nice for £5m while Mikel Balenziaga joined Mallorca for £1m. Now 2 of those hardly featured last season but Benat was the Spanish player of the year and was head and shoulders above everyone else in my squad but I cant have a 33y/o in my squad lol. The same goes for Raul Garcia although it was easier to sell him as he was pretty disappointing last season.

Cristian Ganea also left and he signed for Sporting Gijon for £1.6m.

--

PLAYERS IN

So with Aduriz retiring, Benat, Raul Garcia and Balenziaga sold and with Fati and Moriba's loan deals ended I had to find a new striker or 2, 2 CMs, a new AMC and a backup LB!!!! Could I bring in replacements - no lol.

I moved to replace Fati and Moriba in the squad by signing Fati and Moriba again lol. They have come in on 2 year loans this time for the same fee as last season (£4m and £1m respectively). Maybe at the end of the loan spell we can afford to buy them outright lol.
fati.png

moriba.png

Balenziaga's replacement is Kevin Rodrigues who joins from our rivals Real Sociedad for £3.3m. He is a decent age for us and has some nice abilities and he is definitely a step up from Balenziaga. Not often you get a Portuguese player playing for Athletic!
rodrigues.png

The final player to be brought in for the 1st team squad is Unai Bustinza who joins from Leganes for £700,000. He will be m 4th choice CB so don't expect him to feature much - well he better not anyway!
bustinza.png

All the rest of my signings were for the B team or the U19s and don't really need a screenshot apart from one. Jon Moncayola came in from Osasuna for a bargain £650,000. He will be in my B team but if he develops he could force his way up into the 1st team picture.
moncayola.png

--

SQUAD MOVES

Dani Vivian has been demoted down to the B team with the signing of Bustinza causing this while Gorka Larrazabal has also taken a step back. Larrazabal is valued at £7.25m but I felt I had better options on the RW and he should be a star player for my B side.

Two players have been promoted to the first team squad though - Carlos Alvarez and Alejandro Ibarrondo. Alvarez was rated just higher than Larrazabal on ability by my coaches so I promoted the 17y/o to be my backup RW. Ibarrondo comes in to be one of my 2 AMCs. I had no plans to promote him but I couldn't find a decent AMC to replace Raul Garcia in the transfer market so he benefits from that. He doesn't have a player pic which annoys me though. Anyone help? lol.

alvarez.png

ibarrondo.png

--

FIRST TEAM

Naturally there are a few changes to my starting XI. There are no changes at the back but in CM in place of Benat will be Ilaix Moriba - he just edges out Sancet but he better sign permanently at some point!!!! Unai Lopez will be my AMC while up front I will play Ansu Fati. He is not a natural there but he is better than everyone else apart from Inaki Williams.