Aitor Herrera - The King of Bilbao

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
1636042063013.png

AITOR HERRERA - THE KING OF BILBAO!!!!

I (we) are back!!!!!!!!! I couldnt hold on any longer! I got the Beta a week or so ago and after assessing a few teams decided to go to my old faithful to kick off my FM22 stories. I was going to wait until the full release but a combination of impatience, being off work for 2 days with the flu and not so gentle persuasion from Stonecold I decided to just go for it.

I will be managing as my best ever newgen who broke FM in 2012 when I had got him in my first youth intake and carried on with him until he was 38 - all the while with Athletic Bilbao. Naturally the aim of the save is to dominate first the domestic scene and then the world scene at club level. As ever the side aim is to get a newgen who could match Aitor's brilliance and maybe even get a son in the game!

--

1636043136110.png

THE CLUB

Athletic are the 4th most successive club in Spain with 8 league titles, 23 cup wins and 3 Super Cup wins and add to that the fact that they only sign players from the Basque region or have Basque heritage then that is an amazing achievement!!! They have also never been relegated from the top tier.

The clubs greatest period came in the 1930s as they won 7 trophies in that decade and then they tailed off before having a mini revival in the early 1980s by winning back to back league titles and also a double. Since then apart from 2 Super Cups they havent won a thing.

Founded - 1898
Nickname - Los Leones
Ground - San Mames
Capacity - 53,289
Rivals - Real Sociedad (Vasco Derby), Osasuna

--

1636043361731.png

HONOURS

La Liga -
1929-30, 1930-31, 1933-34, 1935-36, 1942-43, 1955-56, 1982-83, 1983-84

Copa del Rey - 1903, 1904, 1910, 1911, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1921, 1923, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1943, 1944, 1944-45, 1949-50, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1969, 1972-73, 1983-84

Supercopa de Espana - 1984, 2015, 2021

Copa Eva Duarte - 1950

--

1636043859518.png

THE CANTERA POLICY

As mentioned above, Athletic only sign players from the Basque region in Spain (and France) or players who started their football education in the area so I can sign 16y/o Spanish players from any club too. It makes it a huge challenge and I will naturally be relying on my youth intake to find some gems. Other clubs who are in the Basque region include Real Sociedad (cant sign anyone of them pretty much), Osasuna, Alaves and Eibar.

Apart from the Basque players at those clubs some of the others that qualify are Antoine Griezmann, Cesar Azpilicueta, Ander Herrera, Aymeric Laporte, Kepa Arrizabalaga, Javi Martinez and Alvaro Ordiozola.​

Last edited:
1636044450088.png

SEASON BY SEASON RECORD
YEARLA LIGACOPA DEL REYSUPERCOPA DE ESPANA
2021-22

1636045022330.png

The Lezama Training Facility

PRE-SEASON

So I rock up at Athletic eager to see what the new game brings. I have not managed in the beta before - I just looked at teams and players - so it is a completely new experience for me. Anywho I have taken over a squad with the right mix of youth and experience but we are a long way short of being title contenders just now!!!!

I immediately overhauled my backroom staff as with an Athletic save it is imperative that every staff member, through all 4 sides (first team, B team, C team, U19s) are the best you can get to develop the players at the club and push the B side up to the 2nd tier of Spanish football.

I then looked at my playing staff and made a few changes with only 1 coming in for the first team squad and 4 going out but I did promote 3 players up to the first team to make up for it.

What was immediately apparent was that I wont be starting the save with my usual 4-2-3-1 formation as my first choice full backs, Yuri and Capa, were both injured for a few months so I am going to trial this wide centre back malarkey and play a 5-2-3 formation with wing backs until they return and if it goes well then who knows?

I also assessed every players contracts and offered several players new deals to increase their buyout clause as some were ridiculously low. So from the youngsters of Serrano, Nico Williams, Vivian, Sancet and Vencedor to the more experienced Yeray and Capa.

--

PLAYERS OUT

Well it was basically a case of if you are over 30 then you can go - apart from Raul Garcia, Yuri and Inigo Martinez that is! Dani Garcia left to join Rennes for £3.3m, club icon Oscar De Marcos joined Shakhtar Donetsk for £825,000 and Mikel Balenziaga signed for Leganes in a £400,000 deal. With the scarcity of quality Basque players it is hard to take decent money in at the start of the save so I am content with that as all players were 31 or over. You may notice that despite having my 2 best full backs injured I decided to sell 2 of the backups............

...... actually it was 3 as Inigo Lekue signed for Leganes for £675,000!

All will be explained.

--

PLAYERS IN

So far (and probably this will be all by the time the transfer window closes) I have brought in 2 16y/o Spaniards to give them Basque heritage and 1 will prove to be a world beater - hopefully!!

I managed to bring in Gavi from Barcelona just days before he turned 17y/o on a 2 year loan deal which will cost the club an astonishing £21m. Now you may think I have gone crazy but if he falls out of favour at Barcelona in the future I could maybe pick him up cheaply but I must admit I was seething when he signed a new deal to increase his minimum fee release clause up from £43m to £74m!!!!!!
gavi.png

My other signing came in from Bayer Leverkusen as I paid £1.1m to sign Iker Bravo. The young striker will start off life with the U19s but hopefully he will progress into the first team in time. The striker position is the hardest one to fill long term in an Athletic save so there is a bit of pressure on him to come good and on me to make sure that he does!
bravo.png

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

Goalkeepers
GK.png

Unai Simon is Spain's no1 keeper and at only 24y/o he will be my keeper for years to come. Along with the strikers position finding a top quality keeper that is Basque is usually extremely tough so to start the save with one is a huge boost.

--

Defenders

defenders.png

We are very strong in the CB area of the pitch. Inigo Martinez is one of our best players and our vice captain while Nunez and Yeray are top level defenders - hence why I am playing 3 at the back until my full backs return from injury. Alvaro Nunez was promoted from the C team to be my backup RB/RWB and he will get an unexpected chance at the start of the season while not in this picture is Berenguer who can play anywhere on the left hand side and will be my backup to Yuri.

Maybe another full back is required.........

Dani Vivian has been given a decent boost and has a bright future ahead of him and we also have a young starlet in my B side in Aitor Paredes and also Peru Nolaskoain who can also play in midfield.

--

Midfielders

midfielders.png

I have several young talents in the CM area. Vencedor, Sancet and Gavi have an average age of just over 19 and they will play most matches - especially Gavi as I am not paying a £21m loan fee over 2 seasons for him not to play regularly. It is a risk but one worth taking.

When or if I go back to my usual 4-2-3-1 formation the AMC will probably be Sancet but I also have the veteran Raul Garcia. The 35y/o will also provide competition up front and despite being an old man he is a key player in the squad and one of my best players.

On the left wing we have the club legend, Iker Muniain. The clubs youngest ever debutant and goalscorer, he can also play AMC but will mainly play on the LW. Inaki Williams is my best RW but needs must and he is also my best striker which is where he will play this season so I will give his younger brother, Nico, a shot on the RW.

Nico Serrano is a top prospect as is Juan Artola while Morcillo and Vesga are capable understudies with Berenguer being mister versatile.

--

Forward

forward.png

Just the one!!!! The trumpet playing striker is Asier Villalibre but he will mainly be my backup striker. Inaki Williams will be my first choice and hopefully his pace will terrify the oppositions central defenders.

--

AIMS FOR THE SEASON

Qualification for Europe! I am not even going to be that fussy as I would quite like to experience the Conference League but we are predicted to finish 8th in the league so it will be tough. The development of my youngsters however will be key and it is imperative that Nico Williams, Serrano, Sancet, Vencedor, Gavi and Artola all continue to develop.

I only have £3m left to spend so it is unlikely that I will buy anyone else for the first team but we are all set for the season ahead!​

1636057047984.png

AUGUST

villarreal.png

Lineup
- Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Inigo Martinez, A.Nunez, Berenguer, Vencedor, Raul Garcia (Gavi), N.Williams (Serrano), Muniain*, I.Williams (Villalibre)

A great start to the season!!!! We didnt actually play that well and we only had one key highlight - the goal. Gavi swung in a corner and Muniain met it with a glancing header into the far post to give us all 3pts. Muniain's goal was a fitting way to mark his 350th appearance for the club.

--

granada.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Vivian (Paredes), Rincon, Berenguer, Vencedor (Vesga), Gavi*, N.Williams, Muniain (Serrano), I.Williams (Villalibre)

I am overjoyed with this result as we have a serious injury problem as before the game we were rocked by the news that Inigo Martinez would be out for up to 5 months plus Alvaro Nunez also picked up a knock so joins Morcillo, Sancet, Ezkieta, Yuri, Capa and Artola on the injury list and to make matters worse Muniain picked up a knock during the game!!!

Muniain did however put us in front from the penalty spot but our other 2 goals were stupendous. Firstly Nico Williams cut inside before bending a shot into the far top corner from 25 yards and then Gavi smashed in a volley into the top corner from 20 yards.

--

rayo.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Vivian, A.Nunez (Rincon), Berenguer, Vencedor, Gavi (Sancet), N.Williams, Serrano (Morcillo), I.Williams

This was an awful match. Very boring. We fell behind early on but levelled when Inaki Williams fired in a powerful effort from the edge of the area to get off the mark for the season. Some of my players in defence are certainly struggling with this system but needs must. Rayo are managed by Athletic legend Andoni Iraola.

--

SUMMARY

Results wise the first month of the season has been quite good. We got off to a great start as we defeated Villarreal 1-0 away from home thanks to a late Iker Muniain goal. We then thumped Granada 3-0 at home before disappointingly drawing against Rayo Vallecano. Decent enough.

However the good results have come despite us having a serious injury crisis. We started off the season with Capa and Yuri out for a reasonable period of time and then Inigo Martinez disastrously got injured and will be out until Christmas which is a huge blow. Alvaro Nunez, Morcillo, Muniain, Gavi and Sancet have all also been injured. That coupled with me trying out a completely new formation with 5 at the back and throwing in some youngsters before they are ready so to be unbeaten is pretty good.

I didnt do any other deals in the transfer window but upon my squad registration I realised that with the new rules we were limited to a budget of just £925,000 a week for the 25 man squad and we did come in under that by £75,000 but I will have to investigate that for the future. I did promote Oier Zarraga to the first team squad from the B team.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN
muniain.png

--

LA LIGA
LIGA.png

1636125997999.png

Unai Simon

SEPTEMBER

sociedad.png

Lineup
- Simon*, Yeray, U.Nunez, Vivian, A.Nunez, Berenguer, Vencedor (Sancet), Gavi, N.Williams (Villalibre), Serrano (Muniain), I.Williams

Unai Simon was our hero here as he singlehandedly kept out Real Sociedad in my first Vasco derby. They pummelled us in the first half and should have been 2 or 3 ahead but we managed to shut up shop in the 2nd half. Inaki WIlliams did miss a glorious chance for us but we barely deserved a draw. Despite keeping a clean sheet none of my defenders got anywhere near a rating of 7.0

--

celta.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Vivian, A.Nunez, Berenguer, Vencedor (Raul Garcia), Gavi (Sancet), N.Williams, Muniain, I.Williams*

Celta came into this game 2nd in the table so for us to get the win is particularly pleasing. Inaki Williams got the only goal of the game but Berenguer got injured and will be out for a month and he was my only fit LWB. However he has been a ******* disgrace to be fair!

I am now going to have to try and find a formation without any full backs or wing backs now!

--

valencia.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Vivian*, Vencedor, N.Williams (Morcillo), Sancet (Vesga), Gavi, Muniain (Serrano), Raul Garcia (Villalibre), I.Williams

I went with a 3-1-4-2DM formation with 3 CBs, Vencedor playing as a DMC, a flat midfield 4 and Raul Garcia and Inaki Williams up front and it worked a treat! We took the lead when Inaki Williams got onto the end of a long ball from Dani Vivian to score and then in the 2nd half Jon Morcillo came off the bench to score a cracker. Our best performance of the season by far as we beat the side who were top of the table.

-

barcelona.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Vivian, Vencedor, N.Williams (Morcillo), Sancet, Vesga, Muniain (Serrano), Raul Garcia, I.Williams

Absolutely pathetic. We came into this game 3pts clear of Barcelona but they leapfrog us here. It took us 80min to get our first shot on target and we were truly pitiful. Raul Garcia's late sending off just summed things up.

--

SUMMARY

Up until the final match of the month we were going along fine even though the injuries keep piling up and I had to come up with another new formation as all my wing backs got injured! We somehow escaped our match against Real Sociedad with a point after a 0-0 result and the clean sheets kept coming as Celta Vigo were defeated 1-0 and Valencia were beaten 2-0 however Barcelona tore us apart and even though we had an astonishing 60% of the possession we never ever threatened them.

I am just longing for me to have my first XI fully fit and going into our next match we will be without Yuri, Inigo Martinez, Berenguer, Muniain, Raul Garcia and Villlalibre!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
UNAI SIMON
SIMON.png

--

LA LIGA
SEP.png

Last edited:
1636149941062.png

Inaki Williams

OCTOBER

betis.png

Lineup
- Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Vivian, Vencedor, N.Williams (Capa), Sancet, Gavi, Serrano, Artola (Bravo), I.Williams*

WOW!!!!!

I was forced to start with 6 players aged 21 or under and 1 22y/o so it was certainly an inexperienced lineup and we were magnificent!! Tbh I have to take credit as the scoreline was 1-1 when I made a double substitution with Capa finally returning from injury and 16y/o striker Iker Bravo coming on for his debut and they both linked up for Capa to score. Then Inaki Williams popped up with another 2 goals to complete his hat-trick. Like Celta Vigo and Valencia before them, we beat a side who were above us in the table going into the match.

--

alaves.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez, Vivian, Vencedor, Capa (N.Williams), Sancet, Gavi, Serrano (Muniain), Raul Garcia (Bravo), I.Williams*

A game of two halves. We went into half-time 1-0 down when Ivan Martin (a decent young Basque player) scored but we bounced back immediately in the 2nd half when Inaki Williams rounded the keeper to score and he then headed home a Gavi cross to put us ahead. Oihan Sancet also scored with a header to seal the win.

--

atletico.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (A.Nunez), Yeray, U.Nunez, Yuri, Vencedor, Gavi (Raul Garcia), N.Williams, Sancet (Zarraga), Muniain (Serrano), I.Williams*

WHAT A WIN!!!!!

Look at the lineup - I have finally been able to play my favoured 4-2-3-1 formation and it worked a treat as we ground out a wonderful away victory. We created very little but at the same time didnt give anything away and we got the winner when Serrano got to the byline to cut the ball back for Inaki Williams to tap in from close range.

--

cadiz.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, U.Nunez, Yuri (Serrano), Vencedor (Zarraga), Sancet, N.Williams (Morcillo), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Berenguer), I.Williams

Inaki Williams is at it again!!! He has scored in each of our last 4 games (scoring 7 goals in the process) and in our last 9 league games we have scored in 7 and he has scored first in each and every one!

--

elche.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (A.Nunez), Yeray, U.Nunez (Vivian), Yuri, Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams, Sancet (Raul Garcia), Muniain, I.Williams

Not good enough. Despite taking the lead twice we threw it away both times and coming off the back of 4 straight victories this is a very poor result.

--

SUMMARY

October was a near perfect month for us! We kicked things off with a fantastic 4-1 victory over Real Betis thanks to a fine hat-trick from Inaki Williams and he followed that up with 2 goals in the 3-1 victory over Alaves and he wasnt done there as he scored the only goals in our 1-0 wins over Atletico Madrid and Cadiz before we drew 2-2 with Elche with his younger brother, Nico, getting a goal.

The highlight of the month was undoubtedly our superb away victory over Atletico Madrid. This match marked the occasion where I was able to play with my go to formation, 4-2-3-1, and it worked a treat as we managed to sneak a victory.

We have had an excellent start to the season and lie in 2nd place - just 2pts behind Real Madrid who won their first 9 fixtures and we have a favourable fixture list next month so we are in a really strong position at the minute.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INAKI WILLIAMS
williams.png

--

LA LIGA
oct.png

Last edited:
Good recovery this month, Inaki Williams looks like he's doing absolute bits!!

1636193592648.png

NOVEMBER

mallorca.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa (A.Nunez), Yeray (Inigo Martinez), U.Nunez, Yuri (Berenguer), Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams, Sancet (Artola), Muniain, I.Williams*

A comfortable victory. Inaki Williams scored both of our goals and the result sends us top of the table albeit temporarily probably and to make things even better we were able to welcome back Inigo Martinez from injury.

--

osasuna.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Yuri, Vencedor (Vesga), Gavi, N.Williams, Sancet (Artola), Muniain (Serrano), I.Williams*

A derby victory but we really should have scored more goals as we dominated the game and considering we were up against 10 men for more than half an hour I am pretty annoyed that we didnt score more than one.

--

getafe.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Inigo Martinez (U.Nunez), Yuri, Vencedor (Vesga), Gavi (Raul Garcia), N.Williams, Sancet, Muniain, I.Williams

A top notch performance with a comprehensive result. Iker Muniain put us ahead and that was that until the final 25min when we knocked in another 3 goals. Inaki Williams just cant stop scoring and now has 14 in 15 appearances!

--

SUMMARY

3 games, 3 wins and 3 clean sheets and we are deservedly top of the league! Sure the fixture list was kind but we were terrific and we end the month with a 2pt lead over Real Madrid who we still have to play. My players seem to be at home in the 4-2-3-1 formation and we are looking very strong but we cant get ahead of ourselves as there are plenty of teams lurking beneath us waiting for us to slip up.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INAKI WILLIAMS
williams.png

--

LA LIGA
nov.png

1636198108885.png

DECEMBER

levante.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa (A.Nunez), Yeray, Inigo Martinez (U.Nunez), Yuri*, Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams, Sancet (Raul Garcia), Muniain (Serrano), I.Williams (Villalibre)

A bad day at the office. We rarely threatened Levante despite dominating possession but at least we kept a clean sheet to claim a point. We now have kept a clean sheet in each of our last 4 games and 6 in our last 7.

--

sevilla.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Yuri, Vencedor (Vesga), Gavi (Zarraga), N.Williams (U.Nunez), Sancet (Raul Garcia), Muniain, I.Williams (Villalibre)

Uh oh. Are the wheels starting to come off. We fail to score for the 2nd game in a row but tbh we probably deserved a point even though we played half the match with 10 men after Yuri got sent-off. We need to bounce back and have our next 4 league games at home so it is a perfect opportunity to do so.

--

espanyol.png

Lineup - Simon, Yeray, U.Nunez (Vivian), Inigo Martinez, Capa, Berenguer (Villalibre), Sancet, Gavi, N.Williams (Vencedor), Muniain, Raul Garcia*

With Yuri suspended and devastatingly Inaki Williams injured (for nearly 2 months) I went with the 5-2-3 formation and we got the win that we needed thanks to a first goal of the season for the old man Raul Garcia. I ended up changing the formation to the 3-1-4-2 one as Berenguer was an absolute disgrace as usual.

--

SUMMARY

We suffered a bit of a slump in form this month as we played out a no score draw against Levante before going down 1-0 to Sevilla which seen us lose our top spot in the league however we did manage to get a win at home to Espanyol to end the year on a high. Unfortunately the injury to Inaki Williams is a huge blow to our ambitions as despite the winter break taking up a few weeks of that he will still miss all of January which is a hectic period.

Off the field things are looking good as the board have agreed to buy the stadium and invest in the youth and training facilities so that is good news.

I have however made a huge mistake. I have forgotten to offer Yuri a new contract and now he doesnt want to sign a new deal as there are a couple of clubs interested in him. I have rejected 2 transfer offers for him already and I am just hoping that nobody offers him a pre-contract in January and the interest just goes away............

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
UNAI SIMON
SIMON.png
(Unai Simon has 18 caps in real life but has 2 which he just earned in the game. A fix for the full release?

--

LA LIGA
dec.png

1636209312055.png

Asier Villalibre and his trumpet

JANUARY

real.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray (Vivian), Inigo Martinez, Yuri, Vencedor (Vesga), Gavi, N.Williams (Morcillo), Sancet, Muniain (Serrano), Villalibre (Bravo)

The top 2 went head to head here and they got the points thanks to their early goal. We probably deserved a draw as this was an awful match but in all honesty we created nothing and were absolutely toothless up front. We have now failed to score in 3 of our last 4 league matches.

We had won all of our home matches up to this point so that is another disappointing aspect of the defeat.

--

Supercopa de Espana Semi-Final
sf.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa (A.Nunez), Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Yuri, Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams (Serrano), Sancet, Muniain, Villalibre (Raul Garcia)

Yet again we fail to score as we lose our hold of the Supercopa. This time however we were by far the better side but without Inaki Williams up front there is nobody, absolutely nobody, who we can rely on to score goals. It is pathetic really. We had double the shots of Atletico and treble the shots on target but we just cant score!

--

villarreal.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (A,Nunez), Yeray (U.Nunez), Inigo Martinez (Vivian), Yuri (Saborit), Vencedor (Guridi), Gavi, N.Williams, Artola, Muniain, Villalibre*

WHAT A COMEBACK!!!!

We got back in amongst the goals here as we came back from 2-0 down to triumph 3-2 over a struggling Villarreal side. Muniain pulled a goal back before half time and Villalibre took advantage of some comical defending to head into an empty net to level things and then in stoppage time he scored the winner after VAR allowed the goal.

Saborit and Guridi - my 2 latest signings came off the bench to make their debuts.

--

Copa del Rey 3rd Round
calahorra.png

Lineup
- Simon, A.Nunez, U.Nunez, Vivian (Paredes), Saborit, Guridi, Zarraga, Artola (Morcillo), Raul Garcia*, Serrano, Villalibre (Bravo)

I played my backups here and they got the job done. Guridi scored the first to give us a half-time lead, Raul Garcia fired in a free-kick and VIllalibre tapped in a 3rd.

--

rayo.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez (Vivian), Yuri, Vencedor (Guridi), Gavi (Zarraga), N.Williams, Sancet*, Muniain, Villalibre (Raul Garcia)

Rayo are rock bottom of the league and look doomed tbh and we piled on the misery here. Muniain put us ahead just after the break and Raul Garcia bundled home a 2nd just minutes after coming off the bench.

--

granada.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray (U.Nunez), Inigo Martinez, Yuri (Saborit), Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams, Sancet (Artola), Muniain (Serrano), Raul Garcia (Villalibre*)

This was a dull and boring match which came to life in the final 10min. They hit the post just minutes before Nico Williams squared the ball for Villalibre to tap home the winner.

--

Copa del Rey 4th Round
EIBAR.png

Lineup - Simon, A.Nunez, U.Nunez, Vivian, Saborit, Guridi, Zarraga, Artola, Raul Garcia (Gavi), Serrano (N.Williams), Villalibre*

Eibar are top of the 2nd division but despite that I put faith in my backups and they got us through but it was a close run thing. Villalibre got the only goal of the game to continue his strong recent run of form and it was a beauty too as he put the ball into the top corner from 22 yards.

--

celta.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Yuri (Saborit), Vencedor (Guridi), Gavi, N.Williams, Sancet*, Muniain, Villalibre

We rack up our 4th win in succession in the league as we take advantage of Celta Vigo's recent poor run of form. Villalibre put us ahead and Oihan Sancet got a rare goal late on to clinch all 3pts.

--

SUMMARY

There was lots happening this month as we entered 2022! We started the month with a top of the table clash against Real Madrid and although both sides were terrible we lost out 1-0 and our struggle for goals continued in our next match as we lost in the Supercopa to Atletico Madrid by the same scoreline despite being the dominant side.

We then found ourselves 2-0 down early on against Villarreal and I had lost all hope but we turned the game around to win 3-2 with Villalibre scoring a stoppage time winner and from then on the tides turned. Rayo Vallecano, Granada and Celta Vigo were all defeated in the league and we also won both of our cup games against lower league opposition so we actually end the month really strongly and all this without our talisman Inaki Williams who is just back from injury. Credit goes to Asier Villalibre for contributing 6 goals this month.

Regarding transfers I was delighted to get rid of Alex Berenguer to Spartak Moscow for £2.2m. He was absolutely pathetic for me. Sure I played him slightly out of position but he was terrible. Seattle Sounders offered me £5.25m for Jon Morcillo so I let him go as he will never feature regularly for me and Mikel Vesga wanted a new challenge so he went to Portland Timbers for £4.4m so we recouped a bit of money.

Incoming was former Athletic player Enric Saborit from Maccabi Haifa for £750,000. He will be my backup LB and will surely be better than Berenguer. He cant be any worse!
saborit.png

To replace Vesga I actually managed to prize away a player from our bitter rivals Real Sociedad as we paid £2m for Jon Guridi. He is a similar type of player to Vesga but is younger and it was a bargain so I am happy with the signing.
guridi.png

Finally on deadline day I brought in a son of an Athletic legend - Julen Guerrero. His son aptly named Julen Jon Guerrero, is a 17y/o starlet at Real Madrid and I have just brought him in on loan to have a look at him.
guerrero.png

As for the situation with Yuri - well it isnt good. I offered him an new contract and he was happy with it so I was just waiting for him to sign it but in the meantime Man City offered him a deal and despite me vastly improving the offer he will join them at the end of the season on a free. A rookie mistake from myself and I cant believe I have done it. Shocking really. At least I made the mistake with a player in his elder years and not a young starlet.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ASIER VILLALIBRE
villlalibre.png

--

LA LIGA
jan.png

1636281715387.png

Oihan Sancet

FEBRUARY

Copa del Rey Quarter-Final
qf.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Yuri, Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams (Artola), Sancet (Raul Garcia), Muniain, Villalibre (I.Williams)

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What a thrilling cup tie! We played so well in both the 90min and the 30min of extra time as we shared 6 goals. Ander Capa had us ahead twice but we were pegged back and we thought that we had won it when Inaki Williams scored in stoppage time but it was disallowed and I was heartbroken when they scored with 2min left of extra-time however we went straight up the park and Iker Muniain duly equalised to take the game to penalties.

That was where Unai Simon stepped up as he saved 3 of their spot kicks to send us through. We missed one through Gavi but that didnt matter a jot!

--

valencia.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Yuri (Saborit), Vencedor (Guridi), Gavi, N.Williams, Sancet (Raul Garcia), Muniain (Serrano), Villalibre (I.Williams)

Despite the narrow scoreline we were well beaten here. We were 2-0 down and they had a goal disallowed and we were all over the shop but when Inigo Martinez pulled a goal back and they had a man sent-off we were back in with a shout however it is unacceptable that we conceded a goal against the 10 men and it was game over.

--

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 1st Leg
sevilla.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Yuri, Vencedor, Gavi (Guridi), N.Williams (Artola), Sancet*, Muniain, I.Williams (Villalibre)

A decent result but the 2 away goals conceded is a bit of a worry! Oihan Sancet was superb as he scored 2 fantastic goals and set up Villalibre for our other strike.

--

sociedad.png

Lineup - Simon, A.Nunez (U.Nunez), Yeray, Inigo Martinez (Vivian), Yuri, Guridi, Gavi (Zarraga), N.Williams (Artola), Sancet*, Muniain, I.Williams (Raul Garcia)

Derby day joy as we defeat Real Sociedad. Inaki Williams put us ahead but he went off injured with a slight knock but his replacement, Raul Garcia, headed in our 2nd and it was game over. A vital victory after our defeat to Valencia in our last league match.

--

barcelona.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Yuri (Saborit), Vencedor, Guridi, N.Williams (Artola), Sancet*, Muniain (Serrano), I.Williams (Raul Garcia)

Fantastic. We get revenge after Barcelona beat us 3-0 earlier this season as we edge them out here. Inaki Williams got the only goal of the game and we were in control throughout tbh. We move 8pts clear of Barcelona with this victory.

--

betis.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez (Vivian), Yuri, Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams (Artola), Sancet, Muniain (Serrano), I.Williams

I am disappointed not to come away with a win here as we were by far and away the better side - we just couldnt get the decisive 2nd goal. We move on.

--

SUMMARY

We had some incredibly tough fixtures this month but overall I am delighted how things went. In the league we did lose to 10 man Valencia but then won our derby match against Real Sociedad and followed that up with victory over Barcelona before drawing away to Real Betis. We end the month level on points at the top of the table with Real Madrid and we are in the thick of a title race although I still dont think we are going to be victorious however a Champions League spot looks secured thankfully.

In the Copa del Rey we pulled off a great upset when we drew 3-3 away to Real Madrid but we defeated them on penalties to move into the semis where we faced Sevilla and in the first leg we defeated them 3-2 at home so with the 2nd leg to play we have a narrow advantage.

A big shout out goes to Oihan Sancet and Inaki Williams. The pair of them have been fantastic this month with Sancet not only scoring a couple of goals but providing a few assists for Inaki Williams who scored in just about every appearance! I rejected a £25m offer from Borussia Dortmund for Sancet in January and he has really kicked on since then.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
OIHAN SANCET

sancet.png

--

LA LIGA
feb.png

Gonna be a great end to the season with you, Madrid and Valencia!

1636291903495.png

MARCH

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 2nd Leg
sf2.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (A.Nunez), Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Yuri, Vencedor, Gavi (Guridi), N.Williams, Sancet, Muniain, I.Williams (Villalibre)

We reach the final as our draw here sends us through by a goal. We went behind in the first half and were heading out on away goals but Inaki Williams equalised and we held on despite some late Sevilla pressure to go through. Unfortunately Inaki Williams got injured and will be out for 3 weeks.

Atletico Madrid will be our opponents in the final.

--

atletico.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez (U.Nunez), Yuri, Vencedor (Guridi), Gavi*, N.Williams (Artola), Sancet (Raul Garcia), Muniain, Villalibre

I dont know how we didnt win this game as we battered Atletico Madrid from start to finish. They only had 2 shots on goal and unfortunately Antoine Griezmann converted one of them. We kept plugging away though but Villalibre didnt have his scoring boots on and although Muniain bundled home an equaliser we couldnt find the winner.

--

cadiz.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (A.Nunez), Yeray, Inigo Martinez (U.Nunez), Yuri, Vencedor, Gavi*, N.Williams (Artola), Sancet, Muniain, Villalibre

We get back to winning ways in the league with this win. The highlight of the match was the goal from Gavi as he curled a free-kick into the top corner from 30 yards for only his 2nd goal of the season.

--

alaves.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez (U.Nunez), Yuri, Vencedor, Gavi*, N.Williams, Sancet, Muniain, Villalibre (Raul Garcia)

Gavi scored another screamer here but this time it was a stoppage time winner as he fired in from 20 yards. Nico Williams opened the scoring for us with his 3rd goal of the season - he needs to contribute more.

--

SUMMARY

March was a short month game wise. We kicked off the month by drawing with Sevilla to progress to the Copa del Rey final against Atletico Madrid and our very next fixture was against them and despite battering them from start to finish we only ended up with a draw. We did go on to beat Cadiz and Alaves however with Gavi starring in both matches and at the end of the month we are top of the table by 1pt over Real Madrid and 3pts clear of Valencia.

Going into our final 8 matches of the season we only have 3 home games left it is going to be a struggle and our last game of the season is away to Real Madrid!!!!

The youth intake was pretty good with 1 very handy prospect who is a DMC coming through. Several players were signed up and at the very least they will be good enough for the B team in the future.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
GAVI
gavi.png

--

LA LIGA
mar.png

1636311203003.png

Nico Williams

APRIL

mallorca.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez (Vivian), Saborit*, Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams, Sancet, Muniain, Villalibre

A complete performance. We were outstanding here and everyone played well apart from Inigo Martinez who had a shocker in truth. I am disappointed we didnt add any more goals in the 2nd half especially after they went down to 10 men.

--

elche.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray (U.Nunez), Inigo Martinez, Saborit, Vencedor (Guridi), Gavi (Raul Garcia), N.Williams, Sancet, Muniain*, Villalibre

A standard victory but a vital one as results elsewhere means we now lead the title race by 5pts! Oihan Sancet scored the opener with a thunderbolt and Villalibre notched the 2nd. Is the title coming our way????

--

Copa del Rey Final
atletico.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray (U.Nunez), Inigo Martinez, Saborit, Vencedor (Guridi), Gavi*, N.Williams, Sancet, Muniain, I.Williams (Villalibre)

WE WIN THE COPA DEL REY!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were excellent here. I did have worries that my players would bottle it after losing the last 2 Copa del Rey finals but I neednt have worried as to a man they were superb. We got the lead when we were awarded a penalty and Oihan Sancet rolled it in and the cup was sealed when Gavi fired in from 22 yards with a stunning effort.

Our first major trophy since 1984!!!!

--

getafe.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray (Vivian), Inigo Martinez (U.Nunez), Saborit, Vencedor, Gavi (Zarraga), N.Williams, Sancet (Raul Garcia), Muniain (Villalibre), I.Williams

If we keep on winning they cant catch us!!! Inaki Williams scored both of our goals here to reach the 20 goal mark for the season. He combined with his younger brother, Nico, for the first goal which was a nice moment.

This result secures our place in next seasons Champions League and I have been given a budget of £15m for next season.

--

osasuna.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (A.Nunez), Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Saborit, Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams*, Sancet, Muniain, I.Williams

The Williams brothers were at their best here as they were involved in all 4 goals. Iniko put us ahead before Nico made it 2 and then he set up Muniain for the 3rd before he scored his 2nd goal of the game as we threatened to run riot. If we are to become champions then this was a performance befitting of such a title.

--

SUMMARY

5 games, 5 wins, a trophy in the trophy cabinet - this month couldnt have gone any better! I will start with the Copa del Rey final as we defeated Atletico Madrid 2-0 thanks to goals from Oihan Sancet and Gavi which ended our 38 year wait for a major trophy. I have a rule where when I win my first trophy I expect another every season thereafter so we have started early and given ourselves a tricky challenge for next season.

Having said that it looks like we are going to win the title! We comfortably won all 4 league fixtures to extend our lead at the top of the table to 5pts with just 4 games remaining and the title is within touching distance. We have 2 home games next up but then we have 2 away games and it is worth noting that our final game of the season is away to Real Madrid. We have one hand on the trophy but it is far from settled.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
NICO WILLIAMS
NICO.png

--

LA LIGA
apr.png

1636318871290.png

The Williams brothers both in shot

MAY

levante.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez (Vivian), Saborit, Vencedor (Morcillo), Gavi, I.Williams*, Sancet (Zarraga), Muniain, Villalibre (Raul Garcia)

Iker Muniain scored early on which proved to be the only goal of the game as we move a step closer to the title. If we get 4pts from our next 2 games our fixture against Real Madrid will be a dead rubber. My top prospect from the youth intake, Mikel Morcillo, came off the bench to make his debut here and he becomes our youngest ever player in doing so.

--

sevilla.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray (U.Nunez), Inigo Martinez (Vivian), Saborit, Vencedor, Gavi*, N.Williams (Artola), Sancet, Muniain, I.Williams

We win our final home game of the season thanks to a goal from Inaki Williams and we are now 1pt away from winning the title. Espanyol and Real Madrid are our final 2 opponents.

--

espanyol.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Inigo Martinez, Saborit, Vencedor (Zarraga), Gavi, N.Williams, Sancet*, Muniain, I.Williams (Raul Garcia)

CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We win the title!!!!! We knew before the match that we only needed a draw to claim the title but we went out there and blew Espanyol away with 3 goals in the first 21min. Sancet and Nico Williams both scored doubles as we tore Espanyol apart and it is just a shame that we didnt win the title at the San Mames.

An incredible achievement!

Oh and this result means we have won the league and cup double!!!!!!!!!

--

real.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray (Vivian), Inigo Martinez (U.Nunez), Saborit (Yuri), Vencedor, Gavi, N.Williams (Artola), Sancet, Muniain (Serrano), I.Williams

This was a topsy-turvy match but alas we lost out as Real Madrid complete the league double over us. When we fought back from a goal down to go 2-1 up on 43min I thought we were onto something but inexplicably we found ourselves 3-2 down at half-time!!!!

Never mind.

--

SUMMARY

We ended the season in fine style as we wrapped up the league title. We went into the month 6 points ahead so securing the title was always likely and we got the job done by beating Levante and Sevilla 1-0 at home before securing the championship with a 4-1 win away to Espanyol which was a great way to win the title. Sure we lost 4-2 on the last day of the season to Real Madrid which cut our lead down to 3pts but it didnt dampen our spirits as we pulled off a miraculous achievement.

End of season post to follow.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
GAVI
gavi.png

--

LA LIGA
may.png

Which tactics are you using this year, sticking with your 4-2-3-1 from last year?