Ajax fined 10K for 'against modern football' banner

Ride The Walrus

A pretty cool guy.
Reaction score
Ajax have been fined €10,000 by Uefa after supporters unfurled an "anti-sheikh" banner against Manchester City during their Champions League group game in October.
Regarded as "provocative", Uefa stated the banner "created unrest", missing the point spectacularly.
o-AJAX-570.jpg

Banners at the Amsterdam ArenA are invariably colourfulAjax supporters capitalised on entertaining City, beneficiaries of Middle-East riches, to highlight their opposition to modern football.
In a well choreographed display of unity, the home fans even showed solidarity with City fans, who were charged €80 to attend the match.
o-AJAX-570.jpg

Ajax fans showed empathy with City supporters
o-AJAX-570.jpg

Moneybags clubs were targetedAlthough the Citizens' club badge, once jokingly regarded as representing the three decades they went without a trophy by Manchester United supporters, was also mocked by their counterparts.
o-AJAX-570.jpg

Ajax Fined

note:also the same fine given against Croatian fans' racism BBC SPORT | Football | Euro 2008 | Croatia | Uefa slaps racism fine on Croatia

A small amount, but one they shouldn't have to pay.

I wasn't allowed at a Cardiff game last summer, as I wore a 'Let's Kick Blatter Out Of Football' T-Shirt and the security had a major sob.

Let's watch over the stadiums for what people says we don't like and then fine them. Let's make sure nobody dares to say something we don't approve.

Doesn't sound very nice.

You're free to express your ideas... as long they're same as mine.

The freedom of democracy isn't "you're free to think and say what I do", but "you're free to think and say things I dislike".

Then again, there are plenty of suits in football who are against democracy.