ALBERTO ZACCHERONI'S MILAN 1998-1999 3-4-1-2: BEAST TACTIC 143 GOALS SCORED

filippomessi

Reaction score
AC MILAN SEASON 1998-1999: ALBERTO ZACCHERONI WINS THE ITALIAN SERIE A

Arriving at Milan after surprising everyone with his success at Udinese, Zaccheroni led the Rossoneri to their 16th Scudetto after an exciting comeback.

Zaccheroni's First Season
In Zaccheroni's debut season, he faced reluctance from key players to accept his preferred 3-4-3 formation. Practical difficulties arose in utilizing three center-forwards like Bierhoff, Weah, and Ganz in the attack.

Eventually, the formation evolved into a hybrid 3-4-1-2, bringing success and highlighting the skills of players. In goal, Zaccheroni started with Lehmann, but later, after some struggles, turned to the veteran Sebastiano Rossi and eventually to the debutant Christian Abbiati, who became crucial.

The defense, led by Billy Costacurta, included Luigi Sala and captain Paolo Maldini. Midfielders Demetrio Albertini and Massimo Ambrosini played in the middle, with Helveg on the right and Guglielminpietro on the left. The attacking trio featured Bierhoff and Weah, with support from either Leonardo or Boban.

HOW TO EMULATE THIS TACTIC IN FOOTBALL MANAGER 2024

As mentioned above, at the beginning of the season Zaccheroni tried to replicate the same 3-4-3 tactic that made him famous at Udinese but this did not work very well because he lacked the players to do so, especially, the two wingers who could replicate Amoroso and Poggi’s roles. Leonardo and Boban did not like to play wide, preferring to play in central areas and even an inverted winger role did not suit them, while Guglielmimpietro and Helveg were more defensive players, Helveg used to play as wing-back in Zaccheroni’s Udinese too, while the Argentinian midfielder could have played as winger too but Zaccheroni in the first half of the season preferred Ziege who was a left wing-back. In Udinese, Amoroso and Poggi despite being forwards, could play very well as wingers too, while in Milan, maybe only George Weah had the pace and acceleration to play as a right-winger and that’s how Zaccheroni made him play in the first half of the season. But in the second half, Zaccheroni finally decided to switch to a 3-4-1-2 and Boban and Leonardo could play in their natural role. To recreate this tactic, we can start from the same base of Zaccheroni’s 3-4-3 with the main change of Boban playing as an advanced midfielder and two central forwards (Bierhoff-Weah or Ganz). So let’s analyze how I recreated this tactic in Football Manager.

TACTIC OVERVIEW.png

The positive mentality forms the cornerstone for an assertive and forward-thinking playing style, reminiscent of Zaccheroni's Udinese, ensuring on-field dominance while mitigating vulnerabilities to counterattacks.

In possession instructions

IN POSSESSO.png

The 'Fairly Wide' attacking width approach encourages fluid play, allowing your team to centralize while utilizing the width provided by wing-backs, effectively exploiting both central and wide areas.

Playing Out from Defense: this instruction promotes a composed and controlled build-up from the defensive line, aligning seamlessly with Udinese's possession-oriented play.

Precision in Passing and Dynamic Tempo: the instructions 'Slightly Shorter Passes' and 'Higher Tempo' facilitate swift ball circulation, catching opponents off guard and creating seamless attacking movements.

Low crosses: if you have both forwards who are very good at heading, you can also choose floated crosses.

Work the Ball into the Box to encourage your team to create scoring opportunities within the box rather than relying on long shots. This approach promotes a patient and strategic approach, emphasizing quality chances over quantity.

In Transition Instructions

IN TRANSIZIONE.png

Counter and Counterpress to actively defend and press opponents to swiftly regain possession, setting the stage for effective counter-attacks from advanced positions.

Goalkeeper's Role:
Direct your goalkeeper to Distribute to Center Backs and 'Take Short Kicks. This aligns with Zaccheroni's emphasis on building play from the back, ensuring controlled distribution and initiation of your team's offensive movements.

Out of Possession Instructions

OUT OF POSSESSION.png

High Pressing Line and Higher Defensive Line: this compact structure limits opponent space.
Step Up More: this asks our players to use the offside trap.
Trap Outside: to force opponents towards touchlines, limiting their passing options. Combine this with Step Up More to execute an effective offside trap and disrupt the opponent's offensive rhythm.
Prevent Short GK Distribution and Trigger Press Much More Often
Strategically prevent short goalkeeper distributions with 'Prevent Short GK Distribution.' Combine this with 'Trigger Press Much More Often' to incessantly press opponents, disrupting their build-up and creating turnovers in advantageous areas.
Stop Crosses: this prevents opponents from delivering dangerous crosses into the box, maintaining defensive solidity.

Individual Player Roles and Instructions:

Goalkeeper: Sebastiano Rossi-Christian Abbiati- Sweeper-Keeper in Support: no instructions.

Central Defenders: Luigi Sala and Paolo Maldinii - Wide-Center Backs in Support
Both central defenders are deployed as wide-center backs in support. They are instructed to dribble more to aid in build-up play and mark tighter to maintain defensive solidity.

Central Defender: Alessandro Costacurta- Ball Playing Defender in Defend
Costacurta plays as a ball-playing defender in a defending role. He covers the central areas and provides support in building up from the back. I instructed him to dribble more because I want him to carry the ball forward.

Wing-Backs: Helveg and Guglielminpietro- Wing-Backs in Attack
The wing-backs, Helveg on the right and Guly (Ziege) on the left, assume attacking roles. To exploit wide areas effectively, they are instructed to run wide with the ball, stay wider, and mark tighter.

Central Midfielders: Demetrio Albertini and Massimo Ambrosini - Deep-Lying Playmaker and Box-to-Box Midfielder
Albertini, the right central midfielder, plays as deep-lying playmaker with a focus on passing the ball and distributing it. I instructed him to mark tighter and to pass it shorter to help him to build the play. Ambrosini, on the left, operates as a box to box midfielder, emphasizing ball winning. He is instructed to get further forward and move into channels to exploit all the vertical spaces and to mark tighter.

Advanced Midfier: Zvonimir Boban (Leonardo): advanced midfielder in attack: no instructions.

Left Striker: Oliver Bierhoff - Advanced Forward in Attack
Oliver Bierhoff serves as the advanced forward in an attacking role. His instructions include dribbling less to focus on link-up play, shooting more often as the primary goal-scorer, and defending with harder tackles and tighter marking.

Right Striker: George Weah- Deep-Lying Forward: no instructions
George Weah, compared to Bierhoff, drops down more to link the play. I know the advanced forward role maybe suits more to him, but to replicate what Zaccheroni wanted, I believe the deep-lying forward is the best chance. Besides, I don’t like to use double attacking roles in my tactics, like for example two advanced forwards or two false nine or two pressing forwards etc. because they could “break” the game match engine. Even if since Football Manager 2022 and 2023 this problem does not happen as often as in the previous editions, I still avoid this setting.

Results

With this tactic I won Serie A and Italian Super Cup (winning 5-3 against Inter), scoring a lot of goals (many matches ended with more than 5 goals scored even against strong opponents like AS Roma) and at the end of the season I scored 143 goals (best attack) and allowed only 25 goals (best defense) with a goal difference of 118 goals. Bierhoff is the top scorer of the season with 65 goals in this season (55 in Serie A).

Attachments

• ZACCHERONI'S MILAN SERIE A WINNER 1998-99 3-4-1-2 .fmf
    41.4 KB · Views: 160