WhitleyBayFC

Reaction score
Ex-Juventus Legend Retires

Alessandro Del Piero announced his retirement with immediate effect on his 39th​ birthday today. Recent injuries have played their part in this decision and after consulting with his family and Sydney FC, this decision was made.

Born on 9th​ November 1974 in Conegliano in Veneto, he became the third highest goal scorer in Italian football on 335 goals behind only Giuseppe Meazza and Silvio Piola. He also finished tied for fifth place for goals for the Azzurri.

His career spanned 22 years and took him from Padova to Juventus and then to Sydney FC. He also made 91 appearances for the national team. He won numerous trophies including 6 Serie A titles (excluding 2 revoked by the Calciopoli scandal), 1 Serie B, 1 Coppa Italia (runner up on 3 occasions), 4 Supercoppa Italiana, 1 UEFA Champions League (runner up on 4 occasions), 1 UEFA Cup runner up and a UEFA Super Cup. Nationally, he won the World Cup in 2006 and was runner-up at the European Championships in 2002.

Clubs quickly came calling to see if I would be interested in becoming their next manager. Undoubtedly, there is one club that is close to my heart and would love to manage. However, I would like to build up my reputation within the game. Novara, were the first club to invite me to an interview and whilst the project interested me I feel that I need to prove myself abroad. Ultimately, I declined the job. Hellas Verona also invited me to interview for the board but after requesting a parent club, they felt I wasn?t the right candidate for the job. Pescara also chose a more experienced manager after my interview. At this rate I?ll just a pundit on TV.

View attachment 459086US Sassuolo today announced Alessandro Del Piero as their new manager. Sassuolo have been disappointing in Serie B this season with only 4 wins from their opening 14 games. Del Piero told the assembled journalists that if he could string a run of results together then there was nothing to stop them from getting into the play-off spots come the end of the season!