Alex Ferguson building for his successor?

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 2K

Billy

#THFC
Reaction score
De Gea - 20 Years Old [£18 Million] (2011/2012 Window)
Smalling - 21 Years Old [Undisclosed] (2010/2011 Window)
Jones - 19 Years Old [£16-20 Million] (2011/2012 Window)
Rafael - 20 Years Old [Undisclosed*] (2008/2009 Window)
Fabio - 20 Years Old [Undisclosed] (2008/2009 Window)
Valencia - 25 Years Old [£16 Million] (2009/2010 Window)
Hernandez - 23 Years Old [£8 Million] (2010/2011 Window)
Anderson - 23 Years Old [£22 Million**] (2007/2008 Window)
Young - 25 Years Old [£16 Million] (2011/2012 Window)
Rooney - 25 Years Old [£30 Million] (2004/2005 Window)
-----
Welbeck - 20 Years Old [Academy]
-----
Modric - 25 Years Old [£35-40 Million?] (2011/2012 Window)
Sanchez - 22 Years Old [£27-30 Million?] (2011/2012 Window)

*I believe the twins had a combined transfer fee of £7-8 million? Can't be sure, so I listed as undisclosed
**Porto listed the transfer fee at around 30 Million Euros at the time, which equated to roughly £22 Million or so I believe.

-----

Over the past 3 years or so (excluding the Rooney transfer), Ferguson has been purchasing young talented players in an effort to replace his successful 'Old Guard' unit and look towards the future. As you can see, the oldest player listed here is 25 years old, giving the above team a potential 10 years or so together, with the most likely reasoning being that Ferguson wants to not only build a legacy for his successor to follow, but a well-adjusted, young team who can then push on for a great many seasons to come.

De Gea
Rafael Jones Smalling Fabio
Anderson Modric
Valencia* Rooney Young
Hernandez​

*Sanchez?

The above starting XI has an average age of 22.3 years. What do we think about this? Is there likely to be a transitional period where United go without winning every trophy under the sun, while their new team matures?

Curious about what you all think. It definitely seems like Ferguson is building this team for his successor, although I also believed he would retire when he reached title #19, so... who knows, really.

When do we now believe he will hang up his whisky? I doubt he has long left before his health deteoriates enough to stop him being able to manage efficiently, but I couldn't pick a successor just yet. Maybe Ferguson can't either, that's why he is sticking around.

One things for sure, with or without the arrivals of Luka Modric and Alexis Sanchez, the next manager after Sir Alex (soon maybe to Lord Ferguson) is going to have one **** of a squad left for him to continue the work of the great man.

Considering pretty much every one of the "old guard" has either moved on or no longer plays it would make sense for him to have to bring in a lot of youngsters that can be developed into the next great team.
But that developing would take a long time and I don't see him staying there for anymore than another 3-4 seasons at most.
So I tend to agree that he is not only buying for the club but for whoever will replace him.

Honestly doubt he will buy Modric.. Well, i mean, i doubt Spurs will sell him...

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Nani isn't world class imo

Define world class PLEASE.

Honestly doubt he will buy Modric.. Well, i mean, i doubt Spurs will sell him...

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Demands a place in his national team, without question
Would get into all of the top 5 teams in the world
Consistently has brilliant seasons
That's the criteria for me.

Nani isn't world class imo

It wasn't about who's world class or not, it was about the young players that Sir Alex has bought in recent years to be the future of United.

Also, there's not many wingers better than Nani, so that's debateable.

Nicholas Bendtner ;)

Joking aside though I think Nani could be world class but despite his vast improvement last season, he still has a lot to improve. His decision making is still at times poor to say the least, he shoots when he should pass and vise versa, his petty rolling around on the floor after every challenge is getting tidious and his final ball isn't always great. Apart from that hes awesome.

Nani is pure World Class, i hate ManUtd but it's just stupid to say Nani isn't one of the best wingers at the moment.

I don't rate Nani at all TBH, sure he's good but see him just make the wrong choices so often in games or tries to do too much.
He's trying to be too much like C. Ronaldo, roll around 32 times after somone touching your arm, shoot from a mile out and expect it to go in.

Good thread..

But I wont say he is building for his successor. He is so fit I wont be surprised to see at least 5 more years from him. This is something SAF has always done. Bring in few players to keep the players on their feet and create healthy competition for the place.

Have to say I was very excited with 2007-08 squad, it was absolutely brilliant, after than with the potential this squad possesses I'm even more excited.

Defense If we sign De Gea

De Gea
Rafael Smalling Jones Fabio

With Smalling being the oldest 21 years old. But all the 2 players have so much experience playing in the top flight (At least one full season). They will get only better..

For some reason Anderson has not developed as we all hoped. And in 5 seasons he never had pre season with us. So this is the first time he will be having Pre season. Would like to see how he performs this season as (Touch wood) he was always injured for the start of the season most of the time..

Would love to see Sanchez at United. He is the player who will come up with so many "WOW" moments. I had watched Udinese games just to watch him. He was joy to watch, who can glide past players as if they are pub players..

And also something that is not mentioned in the OP is the quality young players from our academy. So many coaches have said this is the best crop of players we have had since 92 batch.. And few said these players are even better than them at the same age. Thats a very big compliment. I have very high hopes on few players..

As far as I'm concerned, you're World Class if you're one of the top 5-10 players in your position. I'd be surprised if anyone could name 10 better wingers than Nani.

Good thread.

SAF has said he will stick around for 3 more years. Enough time to find a successor, and build side to try and overhaul barcelona on the pitch. This will be his last big, and arguably best, rebuild

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

I don't rate Nani at all TBH, sure he's good but see him just make the wrong choices so often in games or tries to do too much.
He's trying to be too much like C. Ronaldo, roll around 32 times after somone touching your arm, shoot from a mile out and expect it to go in.

interesting since he plays nothing like CR7, two completely different styles

3 more years? So Andre Villa-Boas will still be in his 30s when he replaces him ^^)

I think he'll retire when he's overcome Barca. Not before. It seems like he's set himself that challenge.

3 more years? So Andre Villa-Boas will still be in his 30s when he replaces him ^^)

Eff off.

I think he'll retire when he's overcome Barca. Not before. It seems like he's set himself that challenge.

Eff off.

The reason he has gone onso long is that he constantly sets him self targets to drive him on. 18, 3 in europe, etc. Think he thrives on the challenge as much as any success, and i think the return of KK will spur him on even more, great rivals and friends

As far as I'm concerned, you're World Class if you're one of the top 5-10 players in your position. I'd be surprised if anyone could name 10 better wingers than Nani.

10? Jesus.

That's why people say the term World Class is thrown about too much. The best 3 or 4 in their position, maximum.

Back