Alex Ferguson building for his successor?

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 2K
Good thread.

SAF has said he will stick around for 3 more years. Enough time to find a successor, and build side to try and overhaul barcelona on the pitch. This will be his last big, and arguably best, rebuild

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

interesting since he plays nothing like CR7, two completely different styles

I should rephrase, he's trying to be too much like what C. Ronaldo was.

C. Ronaldo was a big part of united going forward and that's what I feel Nani is trying to be, he's trying to be what C. Ronaldo was to United but he doesn't have the same ability.
He's a great player i'll give him that he just tends to do stupid things and when i've seen United under pressure he looks like he tries too hard and tries to do too much.

Could say Gareth Bale, Ashley Young and Chris Brunt are better wingers than Nani, more consistant in the quality of the final ball.
It's all opinions and circumstance, Nani has a much better team around him which obviously helps.

Last edited:
10? Jesus.

That's why people say the term World Class is thrown about too much. The best 3 or 4 in their position, maximum.

Villa, Drogba, Eto'o, Rooney, RVP, Messi (If you consider him as striker), Tevez, Ibra, Higuain

Its easy to say more than 4 strikers among those are world class.

IMO, there is no fixed number. If players performs consistently well(Means very well) then he is world class regardless of how many are better than him.

Not saying Nani is world class as even I dont think he is world class, but the number game is not the way IMO.. (Well maybe I'm completely wrong, just my 2 cents on this).

Sorry for missing out Nani. Let's pretend I didn't and that his name is there rather than Valencia's, rather than continuing the discussion about it.

I should rephrase, he's trying to be too much like what C. Ronaldo was.

C. Ronaldo was a big part of united going forward and that's what I feel Nani is trying to be, he's trying to be what C. Ronaldo was to United but he doesn't have the same ability.
He's a great player i'll give him that he just tends to do stupid things and when i've seen United under pressure he looks like he tries too hard and tries to do too much.

Not at all in fact, he hasnt tried to do that he has done his best to distance himself from that. Still has a way to go, but he was brilliant for a good part of the season and came up big for us on plently of occasions. perhaps in his first seasons yes, but this season he has become his own player

As far as I'm concerned, you're World Class if you're one of the top 5-10 players in your position. I'd be surprised if anyone could name 10 better wingers than Nani.

1. That's 110 world class players, just no.

2. I could mention 10 wingers (maybe not completely natural wingers ie Messi) who are better than Nani.

Sorry for missing out Nani. Let's pretend I didn't and that his name is there rather than Valencia's, rather than continuing the discussion about it.

He also wants Barca. Like in 1994, this was a big lesson for us. we probably could have coped with madrid, but we were outschooled this time round.

Lets not pretend and say we can match Barca.. What Barca are achieving is because of 20 years effort they have put on La Masia.. The only way to over take them is wait for Xavi to retire and Iniesta to become old and Messi to lose passion for the game ala Ronaldinho..

Lets not pretend and say we can match Barca.. What Barca are achieving is because of 20 years effort they have put on La Masia.. The only way to over take them is wait for Xavi to retire and Iniesta to become old and Messi to lose passion for the game ala Ronaldinho..

Not saying we can match them, but he wants a side that can try and go toe to toe on the field. He wants to recreate the swagger of 06-09

As for this barca side, not sure how long they have, they remind me very much of Saachi's milan....

So 3-4 years of brilliance then poof? :P

possibly, when you are that brilliant (like with saachi's milan) its very hard to maintain that hunger and drive, and that agressive pressing style long term, It took a lot of of Saachi, and you can see its taking a lot out of Pep, but who knows. Still its a wonderful target to aim for, and i think SAF will try to get as close as possible

Pep leaves Barca next summer, so I'm not ruling out 1 more year then 'poof'

(H)

Villa, Drogba, Eto'o, Rooney, RVP, Messi (If you consider him as striker), Tevez, Ibra, Higuain

Its easy to say more than 4 strikers among those are world class.

You COULD, but I think it'd be wrong to do so.

Getting off-topic now, we are moving away from United's team.

PS: I don't see Messi as a Striker.

Last edited:
I think Fergie love Utd too much not to secure the future, and this side has me so excited, its potential wait for it, wait for it, is thats of the current Barcelona side. Maybe not the same flowing brilliance, but can be just as effective in ruthless sweeping the opposition out the way.

Of course he is building for his successor, it's very unlikely that he will still be in full control when the majority of our recent purchases reach their peak. He has rebuilt parts of the team before and hasn't been afraid to spend money in the past, but I think this is the clearest indication that he is looking towards a future without himself as manager, and he will try to make the transition as smooth as possible.

On the topic of United going a number of years without winning a trophy, it is always a possibility. The opposition are getting stronger and there are more teams capable of competing for the league, which is always the priority for United to win. I think it is an exaggeration to say that the squad will be inexperienced though, despite it's youth many of the players have experienced winning many trophies. We still have key players within the squad that will probably outlast SAF; Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Nani, Valencia, Fletcher all potentially have at least five years left at the top of their game, and their experience will be key in helping the younger players.

On the topic of world class players, for me the term is used far to readily within football. I would argue that there are only a handful of world class players currently playing at the peak of their game, and consistency is a very important factor.

Of course he is building for his successor, it's very unlikely that he will still be in full control when the majority of our recent purchases reach their peak. He has rebuilt parts of the team before and hasn't been afraid to spend money in the past, but I think this is the clearest indication that he is looking towards a future without himself as manager, and he will try to make the transition as smooth as possible.

On the topic of United going a number of years without winning a trophy, it is always a possibility. The opposition are getting stronger and there are more teams capable of competing for the league, which is always the priority for United to win. I think it is an exaggeration to say that the squad will be inexperienced though, despite it's youth many of the players have experienced winning many trophies. We still have key players within the squad that will probably outlast SAF; Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Nani, Valencia, Fletcher all potentially have at least five years left at the top of their game, and their experience will be key in helping the younger players.

On the topic of world class players, for me the term is used far to readily within football. I would argue that there are only a handful of world class players currently playing at the peak of their game, and consistency is a very important factor.

Dont forget people like Scholes, Neville and eventually giggs as coaches will help.

nani is not world class dont get me wrong i am a man u fan but nani is selfish

Back