Gerd Muller

Reaction score
Background

Firstly a big shout out to MARCOSRDM who created the Machine from Madrid - High Speed Football, the following tactic is a tweaked version of his 4-2-3-1. For those of you that saw marcosrdm's thread you'll know this tactic is a stripped back (not many team instructions), attacking tactic which encourages plenty of shots - producing a lot of goals. It was a breath of fresh air in comparison to some tactics which require a home/away & counter/overload versions of essentially the same thing.

(marcosrdm is aware this thread was going to be created, before anyone reckons i'm stealing his tactic and taking any sort of credit for it, i'm not.)

The GM Tweaked version

So, after testing the Madrid 4-2-3-1 as promised, I saw a lot of goals. However my mindset is that I would rather win
2-0 than 4-2. So I began tweaking the existing tactic, with a view to tighten up at the back. So for people of a similar mindset to me when playing the game, you may find it useful.

My defensive focus means I use the 'drop deeper' instruction for my defensive line. I have match training as 'def set pieces'. I also spend a lot of a weeks with general training as 'defending', although by default my main focus usually is 'attacking.

I use a Trequartista and a False 9 as my attacking options, so sometimes it plays as a 4-6-0.

My Assistant Manager does OI's. I set up individual training for those who I see fit.

Here are some screenshots of my successes:

View attachment 415279View attachment 415278View attachment 415277

Training:

View attachment 415276

This is a plug & play tactic - same for home and away. It has won the league in 1st season with Ajax, Inter & Chelsea, all on patch 14.2.2

Please test it and let me know what you think!

Any questions, fire away....

Last edited:
I dont like following things:

-Deep defence with offside trap and 2 cover defenders...that means nothing good.
-Ballwinning and deeplying midfielder. It would be much better with box2box and deeplying midfielder with defend duty, more complete midfield.
-Wingers with attacking duty on already attacking positions means no tracking back, which is must.
-Trequartista and false 9. I suppose, that you have no threats in the air(6 yard box), because of lacking dynamic midfielder and striker.

I am not convinced.

I dont like following things:

-Deep defence with offside trap and 2 cover defenders...that means nothing good.
-Ballwinning and deeplying midfielder. It would be much better with box2box and deeplying midfielder with defend duty, more complete midfield.
-Wingers with attacking duty on already attacking positions means no tracking back, which is must.
-Trequartista and false 9. I suppose, that you have no threats in the air(6 yard box), because of lacking dynamic midfielder and striker.

I am not convinced.

Fair enough mate, pretty damning analysis, the results speak for themselves surely?

my LW (Viktor Fischer) tends to score a lot of headers for me....

great tactic. Would you tweak the def a little?
Great atk play...

great tactic. Would you tweak the def a little?
Great atk play...

To concede less? I'm looking at the roles of the CB's in my Ajax save at the minute seeing if that helps. Currently having both CBs as cover is conceding less. So once i'm confident ill upload a new version.

Or did you mean anything else mate?

Yes .to concede less. Beside that , great tactic

Sent from my Vodafone 975 using Tapatalk

I have tweaked your tactic @Gerd Muller , first match i won 1-4 (away) against FC Basel in de Champions League with 10 CCC. I'm PSV

Fair enough mate, pretty damning analysis, the results speak for themselves surely?

my LW (Viktor Fischer) tends to score a lot of headers for me....

No offence mate...it just doesnt look logical. Attacking is probably good, but i prefer score less and concede less, than score more and concede more...i see that you scoring a lot, but conceding pretty much each match.

Defence is crucial specially when you are underdog...i just dont like that kind of style. If remember right, was this tactic already very good in attacking phase, but weak in defence, so you didnt fix anything.

No offence mate...it just doesnt look logical. Attacking is probably good, but i prefer score less and concede less, than score more and concede more...i see that you scoring a lot, but conceding pretty much each match.

Defence is crucial specially when you are underdog...i just dont like that kind of style. If remember right, was this tactic already very good in attacking phase, but weak in defence, so you didnt fix anything.

Don't worry charge I'm working on the defence part all time. It concedes less than the normal tactic did for me, so for me on my save it was a fix, but is it perfect? No of course not. I'll put a few more screenshots up at some point. Hopefully it can get better....

Maybe it will just be a tactic that works for the bigger domestic teams? Won't know for sure unless people post results. Have you even used it? or tested it for a number of games? The best test will be a champions league run with a European underdog, so i'll see what happens there.

Last edited:
Sorry, tested with PSG. The amount of goals my defense is leaking is unbelievable!!!! Just lost 6 - 1 to Montpelier. Good Luck but it's just not working for me.