Bowen91

Reaction score
As you can imagine, there was uproar from the Anfield faithful when they heard that bookies favourite Brendan Rodgers had been pipped to the Liverpool post by unknown manager Ryan Bowen during the summer of 2012. However, the owners must have known something that the fans didn't!
Liverpool fans know that the likes of Raheem Sterling and Adam Morgan were expected to be the next best thing at the Merseyside club and they were to expect these guys to prove into gems and lead the club to future success given the chance, and maybe their manager could be described in the same boat as this. But on a managerial front.

When manager Ryan Bowen walked into the Anfield Club, he set his stall early, by releasing Colin Pascoe who was in temporary charge of the club whilst they searched for a new manager. This move didn't come to a surprise to pundits in the sport as it is common knowledge that Pascoe is a close friend of Rodgers' so this move by Bowen wasn't really unexpected. Bowen acted quickly to bring in assistant manager Johan Cryuff alongside him, and maybe a move like this to bring in such a footballing legend - a old, experienced head - would be a good decision to make to work alongside a youthful Bowen. In this move, Bowen was quoted as saying 'Johan is going to bring in loads of old ideas that we can implement to these players, and with the fresh ideas that I have, then hopefully all will be well here sooner rather than later.

However Bowen couldn't rest on his laurels for long as this time, he personally upset the anfield faithful. It looked like the board had been more than faithful to him and therefore gave Bowen a very generous budget of 30 million, with both players leaving and new players arriving. The first three signings showed Bowen's intent with the arrival of 3 attacking players, proven premier league goalscorer and two up and coming names Wellington Nem and Wilfried Zaha. During this time Doni, Jordan Henderson and Peter Gulacsi left the club on permanent deals.

August also saw a lot of ins and outs for the club. In were experienced players such as Razvan Rat and Landon Donovan as well as further youngsters Matias Ezequiel Scheletto and Adryan as well as Adrian Ramos from Hertha Berlin. During this time though, two shock deals were sealed as top stars Glen Johnson and Luis Suarez left the club, both leaving to league rivals for 15 million each. Before too much of the season had passed, the Liverpool faithful had turned their back on Bowen and he must have definitely felt that he was walking alone.

The season did however get off to a good start, with Liverpool only losing 1 competitive game until the start of October which included the team advancing to the group stages of the Europa league, a win over merseyside rivals Everton on opening day and crushing Academica by 7 goals to 1 where Samed Yesil came off the bench to score his first goals for the club.

Home defeat by Manchester United was probably the only poor result (not unexpected nevertheless) up until the christmas period which proved to be a challenging period for the team, but before then the team saw regular wins during this period again, including a 3-2 win at Stamford Bridge at the start of December with goals coming from Nem, Ramos and Ba. The challenging christmas period included 4 away games on the bounce, where the team only picked up 4 points, the high point being that again this Liverpool team again beat their rivals Everton, again 1-0 to complete the league double over them this season however this wasn't before a draw at Sunderland (2-2); and losses at Manchester City (7-2) and Tottenham (2-1) didn't leave much christmas cheer in the stocking of Liverpool fans.

Overall, I'd say Liverpool were satisfied with Bowen and Liverpools performance with his new look side before we went into the New Year and things were looking rather positive at Anfield.

Turn of the new year saw Liverpool lose Demba Ba, first through the African Cup of Nations, and then through injury for 2 months whilst on international duty. Bowen was quite quiet during the transfer market this time around with a case of one in, one out this time, which saw Oussama Assaidi leave the club, and Liverpool improved the middle of the park further by signing Miralem Pjanic from Roma for a reported fee of 12.25 million pounds.

Through february saw a lot of Positives again for the red half of merseyside, where their only loss was at home to Chelsea in the League Cup semi final first leg (A result which was turned around in the second leg to get them to the final). This period of the season also saw Liverpool get their own back on Manchester United having winning at Old Trafford thanks to goals from Adrian Ramos and Jonjo Shelvey and it also saw Liverpool truimph over Manchester City 3-1 in the league cup final, a trophy in which was Bowen's first as manager, and no matter what he achieved in the league during his first season, he had guarenteed european football again for the club next season, something which is demanded by fans, players and board year after year, so that was less pressure on Bowen's back. After the win, Bowen said, 'It feels good to lift a trophy in my first season. We've had a few challenges to get here but I'm glad my team has overcome them and shows what character we have and shows that we can compete now and not just for the future which the club has been working towards. I think players such as Shelvey, Sterling and Nem need to take this win, and learn from it, because now they'll have a little taste of winning and this is what I want players like them to achieve more and more - with this club - in the future.'

The final third of the season was probably Bowen's most troublesome as Liverpool manager, where his squad only posted 4 league wins from the start of March through to the end of the season, which - for a team like Liverpool who had been performing above expectations all season - should have been doing better regardless. In the end Bowen's boys finished sixth in his first season. Also Liverpool managed to get to the Europa League Final where they were defeated by Newcastle United on penalties. After the game Bowen spoke to the press. ' It's been a good year, I don't want to focus on the negatives, I want to move this squad forward if that is going to be the case.'

Despite not being offered a contract yet, Bowen had shown his cards early by preparing for next season already by achieving the signatures of Lewis Holtby and star striker Fernando Llorente on free transfers.

In the end, it was agreed that Bowen was to stay on at Liverpool by signing a four-year deal at the club, with rumours coming out of the club that Bowen should look to play more attacking football and look to evolve the youth system at the club. In a statement made by Bowen, he said, ' I am very pleased that I've been offered a new contract by the club. This year has been more successful than in recent seasons and with the club able to defend their league cup title, and get to another final as well as a good finish in the league, which - lets face it - with a bit more luck, we could have been in the champions league, but what will be will be. We'll look to improve again next season and hopefully give the fans what they want, more trophies, champions league football and to catch Manchester United in the League titles, which is what I will deliever before I even think about parting from this club.'

Players of the season
Jose Reina - 21 clean sheets in 59 games with 61 conceded.
Steven Gerrard - 9 Goals and 12 assists from 40 games.
Jonjo Shelvey - 10 Goals and 9 assists from 48 games.
Wellington Nem - 7 Goals and 12 assists in 43 games.

Aim of this story is to update past seasons in the save, I know there's a lot of writing but once I've got up to where I am in the save, then there'll be a lot more graphics and will be in a lot more detail rather than summaries for you to enjoy.

Took a gamble in all honesty. Never seemed to be prolific enough on the game or in past games so I brought in someone who thought would do a better job and wasn't a big name star who would be pressured into scoring a lot of goals, and it worked. Maybe lacked Suarez's influence in the final third of the season where wins were hard to come by.

how did the board give you 30 million when Liverpool start with 3 - 4.5