All your base are belong to us - An FM Base FC Story

mkempdillon

Reaction score
158076_101962020595_1895604639_n.jpg

Challenge Overview:

This is my first ever story I've written following the progress of one of my games so don't be too harsh. I was tempted by a story with my beloved Newcastle but decided to instead detail that of my plight with fictional FM Base FC, as part of the http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...otball-manager-base-50-000-000-challenge.html Whilst it's a well known challenge there seems to be very few, if any, stories about it so hopefully you enjoy it!

Aims:

1st Season: Survive relegation
2nd Season: Mid table
3rd Season: Europa League
4th Season: Top 4
5th Season: League winners

This might seem very pessimistic to give myself 5 seasons to win the league, but I'm looking to get a very young squad and build with them, combined the somewhat low reputation of the club in relation to others, it will be difficult to get truly great players to join my side for at least 2/3 seasons.

Note: I will not be using any "plug and play" tactics. Instead I have created some of my own that do not use any ME exploits or corner bugs etc.

Last edited:
Team Overview

watson_clemence_2239098b.jpg

As expected, when you join a club with no staff, or players, the first few weeks are extremely busy ones! My main initial aim was to ensure I had a good setup around me, as, if I followed my plans for a young squad, they would require the best coaching to help fulfill their potential. Whilst building a squad could allow me to look at several options, I had to act quickly to ensure I got the best backroom staff that I could. It was surprisingly difficult at first, as many great coaches would not even speak to me, unwilling to join a team with no history or pedigree but I eventually managed to fill all positions that I wanted.

Whilst I would have liked at least 4* star rating for all training categories it is far from a poor setup and I am relatively pleased.

Scout wise I was able to build up quite a good span of knowledge, although mainly across Europe. This will hopefully help me bring in some good young players in the next few seasons, although desperate to get a squad together for the first year meant I could not bare the fruit of my networks early finds.

Last edited:
Transfer Time

PaperTalk-806925.jpg

In order to fill out my u21 squad, and provide some form of back up in the case of a horrendous injury crisis, the first few signings where actually of those of players already at the club, the greyed out regens. Whilst this might seem like cheating or not in the manner of the challenge, none of these players are extremely good, with most League 1 potential at best, with only two who could possibly play top flight football in the future, so it does not massively affect my squad.

I ended up spending just under ?39 million on transfer fees, but a further whooping ?10 million on agent fees and loyalty bonuses, but given that many of my signings were free transfers this was to be expected. Of the ?1 million wage budget I am spending approx ?750,000 and it could have been much lower if not for some overly high wages that were offered, to ensure I got a player I thought was required.

Goalkeepers:

In Speroni signed a goalie who has played in the Premier League before, and who has vast amounts of experience. At just 500k I think I've got a really good deal from Palace. Expected to be first choice for 1 or 2 seasons.

Fighting for the number 1 jersey will be Kasper Schmeichel. If if he can play half as well as his legendary father I will be happy. I'm happy I have two good quality keepers and to be honest right now I'm not sure who to pick! At ?1.6 million I'm relatively happy with the deal.

Defenders:

My second signing in my time at FM Base, is everyone's favourite Norweign Stefan Strandberg. Known very well on these forums, he offers good mental stats, will grow in the seasons to come and can also fill in midfield roles. Expect to be long term member of the squad and a snip at ?325k

Captain for the coming season, and the beast at the back, ?1 million man Kirk Broadfoot offers me a strong Center back with good experience. Whilst his lack of pace could be exploited he will be difficult to beat in the air.

A laughing stock during his time at Newcastle, and a man who gave me such displeasure as a toon fan, Jean-Alain Boumsong came in on a free transfer. Decent stats, low wage, 1 year contract. Rotation player.

Ritchie De Laet offers me some versatility across the back and has pace to burn, something which could be helpful with my slow center backs. Decent enough for ?3 million.

Sofian Chahed was a man I'd never heard of before I brought him to FM-Base FC. With plenty of football in the Bundesliga behind him, his great versatility and the fact he arrived on a free he could be a good signing.

Ex-Arsenal man Armand Traore came from QPR for ?1.8 million. Doesn't offer much other than his pace, he is a short term solution and will hopefully be replaced next season.

Midfielders:

Rodolph Austin joined from Leeds for ?2.6 million. Can also play CB. Perhaps paid over the top but I'm a big fan of his and his work rate and aggression will be needed if I'm involved in a relegation battle.

Stepping up from Tranmere in League One Ash Taylor is young, can play at the back and is one of the few English men in my squad. Relatively cheap squad player at ?1 million.

Another midfield fighter Mohamed Sissoko returns to English football after playing for some top clubs. A free transfer who will be in my starting XI most games.

Norman Theuerkauf is a name unknown to most people, including myself, but costing ?1.6 million the German offers some good all round stats. I see him as a bit of a Dark Horse and could be vital for me.

Last edited:
Transfer Time [2]

A product of the famous Barcelona youth setup, Ilie is a young all round midfielder who set me back 675k. Hoping he can improve over the season and offer me some consistency.

The 3rd player to come in from Leicester Andy King is one of my back up midfielders. ?2.8 million seems a lot now and I'm unsure how much game time he will be getting. Expected to chip in with the odd goal though.

Yossi Benayoun comes in on a free. Has played at the top for a long time now. On very high wages but only on a 1 year contract. Big game player.

The 4th and final player to arrive from the Foxes is young French man Anthony Knockaert. Brings me something special and probably should given the fact I paid a massive ?7.5 million for him!

Veteran Spaniard Vicente is yet another playmaker joining me! Lost his pace but still got his technical ability. Bit part player on a 1 year deal.

At ?5 million Tom Ince comes to the FM-Base Arena. Bags of potential, can play anywhere behind the striker. Will be here for a while unless a big club comes sniffing!

Cristian Tello joined me in rather bizarre circumstances. Having initially turned me down and interest from the likes of PSG, Monaco, Inter and Juventus, Tello had all but joined Man City. However in an event simply surprising more than anything else, apparently the Noisy Neighbours, despite being one of the best backed clubs in the world, were apparently unable to free-up the funds to sign the young winger! I bidded once again, offered Tello a long contract and high wages and he will instead be playing his football for FM-Base next season!

Nicky Maynard comes in on loan from league rivals Cardiff City. Nothing special but a bit of pace and can strike a ball from distance.

My second, and only other striker at the club is a 23 year old Czech called Michal Rabusic. Comes in for ?1 million and is quite a well rounded striker who is fast and strong, as well as having good finishing ability. His low positioning stat is disappointing but I think he can get a good 15 league goals in his first season!

Last edited:
Tactics

0,,6483295_4,00.jpg

Unsure of what approach to go for first of all, so I'll be trying 3 different tactics early on to see what success I have.

With Knockaert, Ince and Tello being my 3 biggest and probably best signings, a 4-2-3-1 does seem to make sense, allowing me to use all the trio together. If this attacking approach works but I leak to much, can change to a 4-6-0 and see how it works.

Most likely to be used away from home this tight and compact formation is all about counter attacking.

Finally is the 'German Pudding' formation, a tactic I created and had some success with in another game of mine. All about packing the midfield and stifling the opponent is allows me to use 4 of my many central midfielders although players like Ince and Tello won't be able to play. To be used away at the big clubs.

Last edited:
Pre-Season

0%252C%252C10273%257E9764601%252C00.jpg

Due to the fact much of my squad didn't join until after half our friendlies, and they probably don't even know each others names yet, its safe to say, as expected, we had a god awful pre-season. I'm not bothered by this at all due to the problems noted and as my assistant was in control of the matches. Either way here are the results from my friendlies.

Last edited:
Could you use a different image host for next posts? In this I can't watch the enlarged image directly, needs a lot of clicks, first to the website then image.

Yeah I'll try a different host. On mine it prompts me to view full size and works fine though.