AMD Phenom II Quad core or Intel i5 CPU?

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 2K

Which one is better?

• Total voters

Raikan007

Reaction score
hey guys, I have now decided from your suggestions and help that I am going to try out the ATI Radeon card for the 1st time...

I have been hearing that Intel series of CPU's are now better for gaming? the two that I am looking at are in the same price range here in SA (R1750 = $255)

i5-2500 Intel® Core™ i5 2500 - 3.30GHz Quad Core, Socket 1155, 6MB L3, DMI Bus, 32nm, x64, Intel VT, Intel HD Graphics @ 850MHz, 3 Year

AMD® Phenom™II X4-965 - 3.40GHz Quad Core, Socket AM3, 8MB, HyperTransport Bus, 45nm, AMD64 Support, 3 Year Warranty

which one is better?

thanks, Neil

Looking at the specs, I'd say the AMD is better but it depends on whether you want High Definition over Performance.

Looking at the specs, I'd say the AMD is better but it depends on whether you want High Definition over Performance.
You cannot compare CPUs simply by looking at clockspeed ect. there is more to it than that. If you look at some reviews/benchmarks you will find that the i5 is much, much faster than the Phenom. The i5 also consumes less power.

Last edited:
thanks guys, I have been researching it too :) seems as the its Intel and ATI :) still thinking of this card, supposedly this card is a lot faster than the other card I am looking at currently (same price range)

this is what I am currently looking at:

i5 CPU sandy bridge
Gskill RipJaws RAM
ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 560 Superclocked (quicker than the HD 6980)

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

check the review here :)

Benchmark Results: Crysis 2 : The Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Review: Take Off Your Ti

That looks pretty good to me. It might be worth getting an 8GB kit for the RAM, but you can always get another 4GB kit latter I guess. You could also consider the Radeon 6850. Or spending a bit more on the GPU and getting the GTX 560 Ti or Radeon 6950.

Last edited:
I really like that graphics card, it was the one I was looking at the other day :) on tigerdirect.com...

just wish I could buy them in the States, that card works out so much cheaper there... not sure how much shipping would be though...

the same card in the US is R850 cheaper :) lol

Looks good to me. You get my approval. Are you going to overclock your CPU?

nope :) no overclocking going on here :) I barely overclocked my old GPU :) think I set it like 25mhz faster just to say that I had overclocked my card.....

You should wait a couple months and pick up the AMD x8 bulldozer

It uses AM3+ socket though....

I want one, but I'd have to get a new mobo (so much for AM3, what a waste of cash)

Well, GPU overclocking normally doesn't get you a lot more out of the card. You might get a couple extra FPS in games... CPU overclocking is a different story though. You can really get a lot more out of a CPU if you OC. IMO, if you overclock the right way, it is almost impossible for you to fry something. That is you take things in small intervals and test for stability ect. Patience is key.

would definetly for for the i5. How much more expensive is an i7 for you btw? the 560 is a good card, so you should be happy :)

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

You should wait a couple months and pick up the AMD x8 bulldozer

It uses AM3+ socket though....

I want one, but I'd have to get a new mobo (so much for AM3, what a waste of cash)

Problem with waiting for new, faster components to come out is that they are always round the corner so you would be waiting forever. personally I would just for the i5 or if you can i7 now.

If you are not going to overclock, then I would buy the I5-2500 because that can't be OC'ed and therefore is cheaper I think. Check the prices in the UK, not sure what they are for hardware there.

The x8 is rumored to be out in June or sometime in the summer. Just enough time for me to get some funds

I wouldn't give up Intel over AMD for nothing. An i5 or even i7 1st gen with an nVidia card >460/560 is the best option this days. You don't need anything more if you don't do more than hardcore gameing.
Check my signature to see what I have and believe me it runs everything and it doesn't even sweat. The only thing I would add to my rig is an OCZ 120 GB Vertex 2 SSD.
+ now you can get 8 GB of RAM for the price of 4 GB... when I bought it the RAM price wasn't going down yet.

I wouldn't give up Intel over AMD for nothing. An i5 or even i7 1st gen with an nVidia card >460/560 is the best option this days. You don't need anything more if you don't do more than hardcore gameing.
Check my signature to see what I have and believe me it runs everything and it doesn't even sweat. The only thing I would add to my rig is an OCZ 120 GB Vertex 2 SSD.
+ now you can get 8 GB of RAM for the price of 4 GB... when I bought it the RAM price wasn't going down yet.
Where and what does that SSD cost in the UK?

SSDs are such a waste of money it's laughable. 8GB of RAM is way overkill and completely unneeded

Back