AMD Phenom II Quad core or Intel i5 CPU?

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 2K

Which one is better?

• Total voters
SSDs are such a waste of money it's laughable. 8GB of RAM is way overkill and completely unneeded
1. SSDs are not a waste of money in a mid-high end machine for OS, games ect. For instance, you can get a Intel 320 Series 120GB for $US240. It is not the fastest drive on the market (but still much faster than a mechanical drive), but it is very competitive at that price and Intel drives are very reliable.
2. 8GB of RAM is not overkill. It depends what sort of applications he uses (Photoshop, virtual machines ect.)

1. SSDs are not a waste of money in a mid-high end machine for OS, games ect. For instance, you can get a Intel 320 Series 120GB for $US240. It is not the fastest drive on the market (but still much faster than a mechanical drive), but it is very competitive at that price and Intel drives are very reliable.
2. 8GB of RAM is not overkill. It depends what sort of applications he uses (Photoshop, virtual machines ect.)

1. Really I would only buy an SSD if I was going for a top of the range build and going all out. But really you can get such large HDDs for such cheap prices I would rather have that than the slight performance increase you would get from an SSD. I mean 120GB? That's nothing
2. For most ordinary uses 8GB is overkill. I think Raikan wants this PC for mostly gaming so its overkill. In regard to future proof, it's way into the future where games will be using 8GBs of RAM. Most don't even use up 4GBs yet. By the time 8GB is normal in gaming then the RAM you bought now will probably be thought of as being slow and there may even be a new type of RAM, DDR4 perhaps.

Back