Sabu22

Reaction score
after playing mostly the same leagues, (Europe and the Americas) over and over since i first started playing football manager games back in the late 90s, i decided to take myself out of my comfort zone and try some leagues that i have never played before. I loaded up all of the Asian leagues that are in the game (China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and South Korea) to play in and learn about a part of the football world that i know nothing about. Here is my story:

Having started unemployed i quickly found there to be more job openings then i could count. over thirty. seems like manager turnover might be rather high here in this part of the world. i applyied to several jobs that interested me in the different leagues available. basicly i picked teams that had team colors i liked :). i quickly got back 3 offers. since i figured i would be getting some more offers (i applied to at least 20 clubs) i delayed them a week. but sadly after the week was up all the other jobs had been filled and i was left with just the three original offers:'( of the 3 teams only one really stood out for me. I found the job at Duli Pengiran Muda Mahkota FC to be very intriguing and not just for its awesomely long name. They are a team in the top Singaporean League but don't have any Singaporeans on their roster. The team isn't located in Singapore but in capital of Brunei Darussalam, a country which i must admit i've never heard of, but check out their cool flag:
Brunei+Darussalam.gif

with a quick visit to Wikipedia i was able to learn all i needed to know about the country i was going to be traveling too.

Location: it is a tiny country on the north coast of Borneo Malaysia

Language: Malay but English is also widely spoken (nice, language shouldn't be a problem then)

Government: Islamic Absolute Monarchy (mental note: don't say anything bad about the government or the Sultan)

Climate: Average annual temperature is around 80 degrees Fahrenheit (nice! no more shoveling snow!(H))
With my research done i was off to meet my new team! DPMMFC a background. Founded in 2000, DPMMFC are a professional Bruneian club currently playing in the Singaporean Leauge. The Club play their home games at Negara Hassanal Bolkah (also the national team's stadium, seats 30,000) and possess fairly basic training facilities and a very basic youth setup. With no real competition history of note, DPMM are a club with a trophy cabinet waiting to be filled. (nice! i like a clean slate to work with:))

my first thoughts on my new team:
Squad: with the exception of 4 forign players (the rest of the squad are all Bruneians) my squad is very week. The center of my defense is extremely weak as it is made up of a 35 y/o and a bunch of kids (all under 5'9XD) the foreign players are going to be the key players on my team. league rules limit me to 6 and only 4 for match day squads. luckily Singapore players don't count as foreign. one of my foreigners looks to be one of the best players in the league (why is he here? it cant be fore the money)
govic.png

for comparison here is the best of my local Bruneian players:
said.png

not quite on the same level lolXD

Coaching staff: not good. terminated my assistant immediately (other then that it involved feet and a ball i don't think he knew much else about the game) Hired 3 new coaches to help out. they are better then what was here but still not that good. (at least now i don't train every thing at a less then 2 stars:D)

Scouting: I'm not sure they even know where Brunei is. hired 2 more to help out.

Finances: i knew it wasn't a good sign when i asked the club secretary for the finance info and she handed me a bunch of crumpled pieces of paper. i have almost no money.

the best thing about managing this team is the sweet chairs i get to sit in on the side lines during games. here is a pic of the manager in real life during a game (i love his shirt!)
berita04.jpg

Now that i had given the club a good looking over from top to bottom it was time to get to work. The first area of concern was the center of my defense. one of my staff informed me of a quality CD that was available for free. i was skeptical but when the rest of my staff strongly agreed i singed him immediately. expecting to see a big strapping CD arrive at the training ground i was a little surprised when a 5'6 132lb guy jogged onto the pitch. oh and he can't jump. I'm serious, his jumping is a 3XD. apparently me and my staff have a different definition of 'quality'. but i guess he is still better then what i already had. my other notable signings were a Brazilian amc/fc who is mediocre and a Bruneian CD who looks to be the best CD on my team (not that it is something he should be proud of). an exhaustive search to find a better goalie resulted in nothing. so I'm stuck with the really bad ones i already have. (bad goalies and CDs, i might let up a few goals this season;)). The fans were a little upset when i signed the brazilian as he is a player they thought to be a trouble maker. i wasn't too worried about him and since he is better then most of the forwards on the team i didn't really care. that was until my press conference when i answered 'no comment' to being asked if his inability to speak english would cause problems. apparently he didn't like my answer (he doesn't speak english how did he no what i said?oO)) he was enraged by my response and stormed out of the dressing room. (ok so i guess I'm going to have to break out the kid gloves when dealing with himXD)

after breezing through my pre-season games (3 wins. 10 goals scored, 3 allowed) i was confident my team would get off to a good start in the league. My confidence was quickly knocked down a few pegs as my team struggled in back to back home games, getting a loss and draw. fallowed by and away draw and i only had 2 points after the first 3 games. maybe i should have worked more on my tactics instead of spending so much time trying to find players. After putting in some overtime with my staff to get our tactics right we were able to win 5 of our next 6 games.
matches001.png

the MVP of the team so far has to be the young Bruneian FC Mohd Shahrazen Said. even though he has only started two games he leads my team in scoring with 5 goals. 3 of them being game winning goals from coming off the bench. Drazen Govic has of course been a key part of our success too. with 3 goals, 4 assists, and a 7.35 match rating in 8 games. One problem that i did for see was players getting called up to national teams. Being the only fully professional Bruneian team when the international break rolled around i had 22 of my players called up to the Bruneian teamXD. (so basically my team is the Bruneian team(H)) its 8 games into the season and I'm in 4th place, only 3 points back, with a game at hand. I'm pretty happy with the start my team has gotten off to and i am confident that my team can challenge for the title (as long as my foreign players stay healthy:D)

Good luck, sounds good. Never played in Asia before but I assume it's going to be tough.

Good luck, sounds good. Never played in Asia before but I assume it's going to be tough.
thanks mate. so far the toughest thing i've had to deal with is the random really good players teams have. every team seems to have 1-2 really good foreign players that can be a hand full to deal with. especially if they are a striker. then its like blue square south defenders trying to stop a championship striker.

Part 2: injury crisis

Well my worst fears have come true as my squad has been hit by several injuries to key players of the last 5 months. This along with several key plays having runs of bad form has seen my team struggle to maintain its place in the top half of the table. International call ups have also left my squad rather thin at times. the most being 35 players called up at ounce. during this stretch my team has gone 6-5-9.
matches002.png

During the mid-season transfer window i brought in a AMC/FC, with my last foreign player spot. to provide cover for my injuries and too hopefully help get my team back on track. unfortunately he has had problems settling in and hasn't performed very well on the pitch.
kieh.png

even with the problems we have been having we are still managing to hold onto a place in the top half of the table. but now we really have no chance of challenging for the title or an Asian champions league place.
standings001.png

Right now I'm just hoping we can put together some good results and finish the season strong. I'm really looking forward to the off-season and to hopefully being able to improve the squad. I still have a lot of work ahead of me to get this squad sorted out so i can challenge for the league title.

Very interesting this, and very original, but I got to wonder how long you'll suffer to keep it up. :p
I can only speak for myself of course, but I'd never have the patience for this.

Will follow with great interest though!

Oh, why Brunei? Wouldn't China or India give you a bit more players and maybe money to play around with?
Or was that the point, worst league available?

Very interesting this, and very original, but I got to wonder how long you'll suffer to keep it up. :p
if my team were winning it would be a lot easier to keep it going lol but i'm really enjoying the challenge.

Oh, why Brunei? Wouldn't China or India give you a bit more players and maybe money to play around with?
Or was that the point, worst league available?
i had an offer from a team in china but in the end i chose this team because i found the fact that it is a Bruneian team playing in the Singapore league to be very interesting. i can sign Singapore players and they don't count as foreign players but so far i have found that most Singaporeans don't want to come to my team. There is also a Korean team in the league and they have a huge advantage over everyone else because they can sign Korean players and they don't count as foreign but Korean players are Foreign for every other team in the league. and since i have the Korean leagues running they have plenty of really good koreans to choose from. while im stuck with mostly crappy Bruneians and Singaporeans:D oh well i will do my best to make this team successful. its going to be really hard though

My hat off to you, sir.
And again, hope you keep this one going, probably the most original story active at this time. :)

Liking the story so far, I have never played the game in Asia but really like the concept of being a journeyman in one particular part of the world... especially when it's different like this. Keep it up.

thanks guys!
@ Dan: i just checked out you east european adventure story and its great! really nice work man. i really like your use of real life pics. i also liked your sig and had to copy it a little;) I'm going to try out your training schedual and see if i can get better results then with what I'm using now. i haven't been too happy with the training my players have been doing so far.

this has insipred me considerably to continue my bangladesh game

i'll be following this one

Thanks Nick! good luck with your Bangladesh game.

Part 3: Season two begins!

my team limped to the end of the season and finished the last 7 matches with a record of 0-5-2. not a very good record :'( but we can take some pride from the fact that 4 of those matches were against the teams that finished at the top of the table and we played them all tough. well all of them except eventual champions Red Star who absolutely destroyed us. The 0-3 loss to bottom of the table Albriex was also very annoying. But i was very happy with my team's performance vs Singapore Air Force FC (my arch nemesis as they had beaten me 3 times in a row by a combined score of 0-7:mad:) we took an early lead are almost scored a couple more before SAFFC were able to mount a desperate counter attack at the very end to get the equalizer.
matches001.png

We were just barely able to hold onto a position in the top half of the table coming in 5th. but we were still 13 points behind the 4th place team(i don't even want to talk about how many points we were out of 1st:mad:)

standings001.png

Govic was voted the fans player of the year for the team and he was on the Singapore league team on the season. in 31 games he finished with 10 goals 11 assists and a 7.28 match rating. My team also won the sportsmanship award from the league.
sportsjmanship.png

With the season over i was given a board confidence update and i was happy to see that they were very pleased with my overall leadership of the team. the team's excellent overall performance in the league was a particular highlight for them. they were however unhappy with the team's poor performance in the Singapore Cup. (**** SAFFC knocked me out in the 1st round:mad:) As the off-season started i was very surprised to find that my team's finances had dramatically increased. (from basically nothing to around 500k:O) I'm not really sure where this money came from (probably some shady back room dealsXD) but I'll take it as it looks like i might have some money to spend on some players.
finances02.png

with my new found money i went about trying to find a new goalkeeper. i quickly targeted the 3 keepers on the Singaporean national team (they were by far the best non foreign keepers available) and placed bids on all 3 of them. I also set out to try to beef up the center of my midfield as it was a big weakness on my team last season. after some intense negotiations i was able to bring in the 3rd best keeper on the national team (the other clubs wanted more money than i had available) so for a club record of 120k my team finally had a keeper that wasn't completely awful (he is only somewhat awfulXD)
sunny.png

I also brought in 3 new MCs for a total of 20k. the best of them being a Chilean that i made room for by freeing up a foreign player spot by selling Kieh, the AMC/FC i had bought durring the previous mid-season transfer window.
huaiquian.png

As my squad was starting to take shape for the new season we ounce again breezed through our pre-season games. getting 4 wins with a combined score of 16-3. hopefully this time we will also be able to get off to a good start in the league. but it wont be easy as our first game is away to powerhouse Red Star, the defending champions.

basicly i picked teams that had team colors i liked .
Love It:D

On FM08 I played with Woodlands, and was actully quite that successfull winning inter alia Asian Champions League and finishing runners up in Club World Championship.
(H)
And not haveing time to play in Asia as Im so into my "Lazio"-game I will defenitly follow yours,

Good Luck^^)

On FM08 I played with Woodlands, and was actully quite that successfull winning inter alia Asian Champions League and finishing runners up in Club World Championship.
impressive! i hope i can be that successful:)

I done the Indian league once. Its good once you start getting decent youth team players through

0.0 a story about my country's team?! well in case you didn't know this team has been disbanded as our Football Association has been ban by the FA...and ohh..the picture..he is not the manager...he owns the club! and is the son of the Sultan...

btw maybe following...

Last edited:
well in case you didn't know this team has been disbanded as our Football Association has been ban by the FA
no i didn't know that:O

from Wikipedia: FIFA suspended the Football Association of Brunei Darussalam for government interference in its affairs, thus barring teams from Brunei from taking part in overseas competitions. All the club's league results for 2009 were therefore expunged.

wow that sucks. hmmm government interference... maybe that explains the extra cash my club mysteriously got in the off season. i hope my team doesn't get bannedXD

Part 4: climbing the table

ounce again we didn't get off to a great start in the league. Back to back away losses to Super Reds and Tampines had us sitting at the bottom of the table. The team rebounded nicely with a 5-2 win at home to Sengkang. This was fallowed by a shocking 0-1 loss at home to Young Lions that had the media and fans doubting if we would be able to mount a title challenge this season. My team quickly answered their critics with a 7-0 pounding of Albirex at their stadium (revenge for our shocking loss to them at the end of last season)
game001.png

Since the loss to Young Lions my team has gone 6-2-1 in all competitions. the only loss coming in the Singapore Cup at Sengkang. So we were knocked out of the Cup in the 1st round for the 2nd season in a row. but with the form we are in in the league i don't really care.
matches.png

The league title is my number one priority. This good run of form has seen us shoot up the table to 3rd. 4 points out of first with a game at hand.
standingsd.png

Some of the more notable games of the season so far were a 1-1 draw at SAFFC. My team played great vs our arch rivals and would have won were it not for the amazing play of the SAFFC keeper. Luckily we were still able to get an equalizer in stoppage time to get at least a point out of it. I was really happy with how my team out played SAFFC on their own ground, which we have never played well at before.
game002.png

The other notable game was a 3-0 win vs defending champions Super Reds. The South Korean powerhouse was completely overwhelmed by my teams relentless attacks. with the way we were playing we could have gotten 5 or 6 goals. This was by far my best result so far as the manager of DPMM.
game003.png

During the pre-season i tweaked my tactics a little bit and mover Govic (the best player in the league) from the wing to AMC. i had hoped that this move would give him more touches of the ball and move opportunities to score. It was worked out better then i expected as Govic has been on an amazing run of form since the switch. 11 goals 10 assists and a 7.74 rating through the first 14 games of the season. moving him to AMC is one of the best decisions i have ever made as a manager.
govic002.png

Hopefully my team will be able to keep up this great run of form and we will be able to mount a serious challenge for the league title!