An American Exploring Europe (Journeyman)

tbuc

Reaction score
Journal Entry 1: May 18, 2020
Where Do I Even Start?

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 6.57.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 6.27.01 PM.png

After I learned at a young age my footballing career would not be as a player, I decided to become a coach. Here in America getting into coaching at the youth level is extremely easy. Local youth sides are always looking for someone to help, so getting my career going was never an issue. However, after five years of working with kids, parents who have no knowledge of the game, and no money to show for it, I knew I had to go abroad. If I wanted a career in management it wasn’t going to come stateside.

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 6.15.20 PM.png

My goal, at first, is to just find a club willing to take a punt on me. Being an American may have a negative stigma, but hey, Bob Bradley was given a shot with Swansea City and Jesse Marsch is doing wonderful things with RB Salzburg. Why can’t I be the next big thing? I know I want to start on the western side of the continent. As someone who is completely unknown I know I'll have to look in Scandinavia or maybe the lower leagues of England. I hear Greece is a beautiful country, so why not look there as well?

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 7.01.15 PM.png

Now that I have my CV typed up it’s time to send out email after email. I contacted FIFA to see if anyone there could help me find a job… No response. I then took a few days to think things over. Where do I want to start? Who would give me a real shot? With all this talk about Brexit, are there certain nations I don’t even have a chance to land a job?

After reaching out to people in countries all over western Europe I learned there are a few clubs with a vacancy. The initial list of job opens is very short, but maybe a side in the third tier of Norway would be willing to talk to me. Also, Chesterfield in the National League has an opening. That is closer to a dream job at this point. Lastly, Football Club Roskilde, who currently play in the third tier in Denmark, is also worth reaching out to. Three emails have been sent. Now all I can do is sit and wait.​

Journal Entry 2: August 1, 2020
Two and Half Month Later... Nothing

home.jpg

It wasn’t cheap, but I’m finally in Europe with all my stuff - my house included. After I made my presence felt in Norway, England, and Denmark it didn’t take long to realize this job hunt was going to be much tougher than I expected. Chesterfield were the first club to inform me that I hadn’t made their short list. Realistically I knew my first job wasn’t going to be with a professional club anyway.

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 7.27.30 PM.png

After a few more days and a little bit more hope, Arendal was second to turn me down. I thought if I was going to land a job off the bat this would be the club that would be the most willing to take a chance. They are a semi-professional club in the Norwegian third tier after all. But, it wasn’t meant to be.

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 7.32.22 PM.png

Just like that the third and final club I applied for offered me an interview. I was a bit nervous as I felt this could be my only shot for a while. The leagues in Scandinavia were just starting up and it was going to be another month before clubs in Ireland, Scotland, or any other nation with a low reputation was to start their season. Fingers crossed.

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 7.35.17 PM.png

After the interview I felt pretty confident. However, that feeling was not reciprocated by the Danish club. Looking at the positives, I had my first interview and I now know what to expect next time I'm given a chance.​

Journal Entry 3: August 19, 2020
My First Job

Interview.png

After a long wait I was finally offered another interview. This time it was with a second tier side in Finland. Before even taking a look at the league, the club itself, or even the country of Finland I hopped onto Zoom from my living room with a suit and tie on. Again I thought the interview went well. It’s been three months and I felt my break had to come soon! The club President, Mr. Mikko-Tapio Mattila, said Musan Salama have a decent reputation, which actually means I’m probably under qualified. Regardless, he seemed interested and I was going to remain positive until I heard back.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 11.36.02 AM.png

I have a job! Finally! I called my family back home and told them I have a new home. I quickly took to Google for directions and headed straight to the club stadium. Thanks to Wikipedia I now know the city of Pori is known for their annual Jazz Festival which brings in fans and artists from all over the world.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 11.39.42 AM.png

As for sports, the club I now coach goes by “MuSa” for short and are the third most popular in the city. Assat is the local ice hockey team which is the pride of Pori. They have won three league championships in what is known as one of the best leagues in Europe. MuSa are currently playing in a division above FC Jazz, but they are the most well known football club in the city. Jazz have won the first division twice and have played in the Champions League before. As for MuSa, we are a club known to yoyo between the third and fourth divisions with three brief stints in the second tier.​

Journal Entry 4: August 19, 2020
This Won't End Well

musa.png

With a worldwide pandemic going on it was a struggle getting to Finland, but I’m finally here. Pori is the eleventh largest city in Finland and is right on the coast bordering the Gulf of Bothnia. Musa’s club president explained that on the other side of the gulf is Sweden. We then turn the topic of conversation to the club itself. Little did I know I signed myself up for a near impossible task…

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 7.11.18 PM.png

The club sits dead last in the table and with just eight games left we are ten points behind the club in ninth. The board made it clear to me when I signed on that even though my contract runs through next season, I will be let go at the end of this campaign if we don’t reach safety. Seeing how this side is yet to win a single match I don’t see my time in Finland lasting very long. Now I get why this club signed a coach with absolutely no experience. They have nothing to lose.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 7.17.26 PM.png

I asked the president how the recruitment team was at the club because it’s pretty **** clear we’re going to need help if we had any chance at survival. But, he said the window was closed and we couldn’t bring anyone in on a free either. “Is there any way around it?” I asked. “Well, we could bring players in on loan from an affiliate club if we had one.” After seeing my somewhat shocked and puzzled face, he added “I’ll see if there's anything I can do, but no promises.”

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 7.22.09 PM.png

The club has just 17 players, so there really isn’t much I can do. Obviously a change has to be made, so I doubt I’ll run out with five at the back like MuSa has done all season. Looking at the league stats, we sit dead last with seven goals scored this year. The second lowest total is 14. Yes, that's double the amount we have. I have a lot to think about before we get going. After a quick chat with some of the coaches around the training facility, I learned there isn’t anyone at the youth level who could help either.​

Journal Entry 5: August 23, 2020
My First Match As A Manager

musa.png

It’s been three days and we’ve only had one training session since I’ve taken charge. What have I learned? Expect to be unemployed in three months. After looking at the players stats and getting the run down from my coaches, we’ll be running out in a makeshift 4-4-2 with a left wing back and left winger. I’m confident in our center back pairing and we have a good right back for this league. With the squad scoring the least amount of goals in the league I’m hoping by pushing our left sided midfielder higher up the pitch we will be a little more threatening in the final third. Our top two options in the midfield are both better helping out their defenders as opposed to helping in the final third.

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.17.57 PM.png

I’m super excited for my first match in charge tomorrow so I can get a much better idea what I have to work with over the last eight games of the season!

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.08.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.08.55 PM.png

Well I can now see why this team hasn’t won all season. Sloppy in possession and wasteful in the final third. In fairness to our defense, I thought they remained organized and held Vaasan Palloseura to long range efforts. Playing with a left wing back does worry me a bit as he was beat for pace more than once on the flank which did lead to the home side's first goal. I may need to rethink that. I now have six days to think things over before we close out August with a match against seventh place SJK Akatemia.​

Journal Entry 6: August 30, 2020
Some Improvement

musa.png

I had a week to figure out what changes I wanted to make to the first team before our second match with me in charge. With just 17 first team players there really isn’t much I could do. The manager before me played with a back five, but no wins in 14 matches proved that didn’t work. Sticking with a 4-4-2 made the most sense to me. However, instead of using a left wing back, we’ll be running out with a flat back four from now on. There’s only seven matches left in the season and we sit 12 points behind IF Gnistan who we need to catch if this club doesn’t want to get relegated. Let’s just jump straight into it…

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.41.15 AM.png

I’m much more impressed with the squad after this match. We were definitely the second best team on the pitch, but after some halftime changes I’m much more confident this club will have at least one win this season. After attempting to play out from the back for a game and a half, we went much more direct in the second half and started to use John Frederiksen as a target man. The move paid off as Frederiksen was able to play in his strike partner Rudi Dieter who scored his first goal of the season.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 1.17.33 PM.png

We still sit dead last in the table and it will take a miracle for us to jump just one spot in the league let alone three spots to reach safety. I’ve expected I’ll be out of a job in just a few months, but I’m happy that a club was willing to take a chance. I now have the confidence that another club will offer a chance again in the future.​

Journal Entry 7: September 20, 2020
Unemployed

musa.png

Ykkonen League
Matchday 17
September 13, 2020

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 2.20.49 PM.png

We did lose 3-0 and I have no argument against us deserving the defeat. However, we did offer a fair amount going forward. ST Rudi Dieter missed a golden chance in the opening three minutes when he was played in with a simple ball over the top, but his shot went wide. LM Juuso Aalto saw his shot go wide after he found himself controlling a cross in the six yard box. Finally, RM Mauro Severino came closest with a curler from 20 yards out, but he was robbed by the crossbar.

Ykkonen League
Matchday 18
September 20, 2020

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 4.25.16 PM.png

My first point as a manager!! This was our best match of the season as we recorded a point against fourth place FC KTP. I can finally say we weren’t the second best team on the pitch which is very encouraging.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 4.28.28 PM.png

September 20, 2020

In was inevitable. I took over a club 16 games into their season with no wins and five draws. I was unable to sign anyone and our President wasn't able to find an affiliate club for us to bring in players on loan. I'm obviously disappointed, but it was just a matter of time.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 4.28.37 PM.png

September 20, 2020

On the same day I record my first point as a manager I get called into the club President's office and am asked to clear out my office. The board made it clear during my interview that I would be out of a job if MuSa didn't stay up, so it was to be expected. However, for some reason I thought I was going to be here until the end of the season. This is a ruthless business. Being fired by a second tier side in Finland really tells me how just far I have to go if I ever want to coach a club into the Champions League.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 8.18.41 PM.png

Here's a quick look at which clubs are currently looking for a new head coach. It's still early in leagues outside of Scandinavia, so maybe I'm better off waiting. Honestly, being let go by MuSa is giving me a real itch to jump right back into though.​

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.41.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.41.15 AM.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 30
Journal Entry 8: November 1, 2020
The Search Continues

email.jpg

It’s been a little over a month and the search for a second managerial job continues. It seems the only job openings are still coming exclusively out of the Scandinavian leagues. With that, I’ve thrown my hat in the ring for at least 20 clubs and managed just the two interviews.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 8.42.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 9.24.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 8.50.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 9.24.20 PM.png

Unfortunately, neither one of the interviews were a success. I do want to give thanks to my Personal Assistance Katin Salmon who continues to send my weekly job updates. I’ve noticed a very common trend as she believes if I’m going to land a job soon it will come from one of the fourth tier sides in Sweden. Those leagues are now over and are now just starting their promotional playoffs. So, at this point I can’t see any more job openings coming out of that nation. I’ll check back in another month or so to update my journal.​

Journal Entry 9: November 25, 2020
A New Home

After applying for somewhere near 30-40 jobs in Scandinavia I only managed two interviews and no offers. Once opportunities opened up in the rest of Europe, it didn’t take long to land my second job as a head coach.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 10.12.01 PM.png

After the flight from Finland to Belfast I grabbed a taxi for the final 20 minutes of my trip to Bangor. Rather than heading straight to the stadium to meet the staff, they put me up in a hotel with a beautiful view of the Bangor Marina. The trip to my new home did wear me out, so I was quick to call it a night allowing me to be fresh for my first day in charge.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 10.21.49 PM.png

Bangor FC are only five games into the season, but sit 10th in the league. We are a better side compared to how we’ve started the season as the media predicted us to finish fourth. The board only wants us to remain competitive this season, so I very well could be here for the long term. The transfer window is closed, but I am able to look for some free agents to bring in which is very encouraging. The downside, we are currently over our $24,514 payroll budget by nearly $2,400. Anyway, let’s get started!!​

Journal Entry 10: November 25, 2020
First Day On

1200px-Bangor_FC_logo.svg.png

When I arrived at the stadium there was a young man who welcomed me in and led me to the club President’s office. Nicky Davidson stood up to shake my hand before we sat to discuss a variety of topics. The club currently sits in 10th place in a league of 11 teams, but the season is still very young. We went over all the cup competitions which take place in Northern Ireland. I was surprised at how many there are! We’ve already been eliminated from the Bet McLean Cup, Steel & Sons Cup, and the County Antrim Shield. That leaves us with the Intermediate Cup and Northern Irish Cup. My first game in charge will be in the Intermediate Cup which Nicky assured me was “not important.” There isn’t any prize money involved until the quarter-finals and even then it’s minimal. The N. Irish Cup is a different story. We enter the competition in the Third Round and must win our first match to reach the board's expectations.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 9.11.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 9.08.10 PM.png

Looking over the squad, there is plenty of talent there, but we’re short in numbers. We have two keepers which I’m satisfied with, but only three natural center backs. In the middle of the pitch, we’re loaded centrally, but have no width. We could run out in a 4-3-3, but then I’ll need to bring in at least two right wingers. My plan is to bring in a left back and two wingers out of necessity and then possibly look elsewhere if improvements are required. The vast majority of the players on the roster only get paid by appearance, so I’m not worried about signing too many players.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 9.32.58 PM.png