An Attempt at the Saints: A Southampton journey

• Thread starter WeArePalace
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 2K
W

WeArePalace

Introduction
Hello and welcome to my new Football Manager 2019 save. I've decided to start fresh and only run just the one save. That save will be with Premier League strugglers Southampton. When they first arrived in the Premier League, they became one of the most exciting sides in the division, with a top 6 finish just a few years ago, but since selling their key players on (mainly to Liverpool), such as Sadio Mane and Virgil Van Dijk, they've struggled to repeat that and find themselves in a relegation battle. Trophy wise, the club have not won much at all, with the FA Cup being the notable achievement, 2nd to that is only a Sky Bet League One title and then regional trophies. The club also did well in the Premier League until they were relegated in 2004-05 before going down to League One in 2008-09. They're best spell was in the 1970's, but they've had a few other good seasons but haven't been able to make it consistent. Hopefully I can change that.

Transfer Window
I've already played through the transfer window (my apologies for that), with Charlie Austin, Maya Yoshida, Shane Long and Steven Davis the only notable departures. They joined Newcastle, Sevilla, Fiorentina and Sampdoria respectively. Jack Stephens also went out on loan to Chievo. With that being said, our transfer window was simply amazing. We had a decent budget, but netted around 40m for players who I didn't even want. Altogether, this left us with an insane 75m pounds. Then for one reason or another, the board decided we needed more funds (???) and we ended up with 100m to play with (amazed at how much they gave us, I never get anything from the board let alone 25M!). The signings we made are unrealistic but insane. We signed Patrick Cutrone from AC Milan, Ajax duo Matthijs De Ligt and Frenkie De Jong, Kieran Tierney, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Ryan Sessegnon, Allan Saint-Maximin, Jamaal Lascelles and Paulo Gazzaniga. We also have Jurgen Locadia, Luiz Felipe and Gianluca Busio arriving in January. Now that I've covered this I will complete a squad list next update (I hope the unrealistic signings don't detract interest in the story).

De Ligt always turns into a beast on FM. Some quality signings there, where are you aiming to finish?

De Ligt always turns into a beast on FM. Some quality signings there, where are you aiming to finish?
Thanks for that mate. I was originally thinking mid-table (12th or so) but with the signings top 8 is a realistic target in my opinion.

Will be following this as I always enjoy a good Southampton save! What an insane window by the way lol, I have no idea how you managed to get that kind of budget but great signings and hopefully an exciting campaign for you :) good luck!

Will be following this as I always enjoy a good Southampton save! What an insane window by the way lol, I have no idea how you managed to get that kind of budget but great signings and hopefully an exciting campaign for you :) good luck!
Thanks a lot mate for your really nice comment. I have no idea how I got that budget either but hoping for a great campaign as well.

View attachment 17821 SOUTHAMPTON ANNOUNCE PREMIER LEAGUE SQUAD LIST
Southampton have announced their 2018-19 EPL Squad List for the upcoming season. Following new signings and an exciting young manager in Cristian Ferri, the Saints will be hoping for a minimum top half finish.
GOALKEEPERS
View attachment 17820View attachment 17819View attachment 17818
View attachment 17817
Rumours suggested that Angus Gunn will start in goal, with McCarthy and new signing and former Saints GK Paulo Gazzaniga will serve as reliable Premier League back-up. Gunn is the exciting young GK formerly of Man City who joined the Saints in the summer. McCarthy and Gazzaniga both have good experience in the league and should be decent stoppers for the team when called upon.
DEFENDERS
View attachment 17816View attachment 17815View attachment 17814View attachment 17813View attachment 17812View attachment 17811View attachment 17810View attachment 17809View attachment 17808View attachment 17807
View attachment 17806
In defence, the Saints look very comfortable and covered well in depth. Pundits have said that they may lack a star quality, but it's hard to look past star recruit Matthijs De Ligt from Ajax. The starting back 4 is likely to be Tierney-Lascelles-De Ligt-Wan Bissaka, but while Lascelles is out with an injury knock prior to the season beginning, Bertrand is said to fill in for him in his absence.
MIDFIELDERS
View attachment 17797View attachment 17798View attachment 17799View attachment 17800View attachment 17801View attachment 17802View attachment 17803View attachment 17804View attachment 17805
View attachment 17791
Southampton look strong in this area as well, with new arrivals consolidating an already strong area for the Saints. Saint-Maximin will provide much needed ability on the right wing, while Elyounoussi will do the same on the left. In the centre, Romeu, Lemina and De Jong will partner with Romeu removed should Ferri opt for a 4 man midfield over one with 5 in it.
ATTACKERS
View attachment 17790View attachment 17789View attachment 17788View attachment 17787
View attachment 17786
Probably the Saints weakest area of the squad, with only left and right midfielders, but no out and out wingers, although Saint-Maximin and Elyounoussi are more than capable of playing there. Overall, the squad looks exciting and Patrick Cutrone looks a peach of an acquisition for a small fee. Already looks a bargain.

View attachment 17721
View attachment 17720Manolo Gabbiadini celebrates his hat-trick in the friendly against Stranraer F.C.
SOLID SAINTS PRE-SEASON SHOWCASES ABILITY
Southampton will be a side very happy with a solid pre-season, as despite having what pundits would call simple fixtures, they failed to drop a match. Perhaps they would take the most delight in the 2-0 win over Bologna, their biggest test, in which new signings Patrick Cutrone and Matthijs De Ligt got the goals.
View attachment 17716
The Pre-Season was a good one from the 7-1 drubbing of Stranraer to a series of comfortable 2-0 wins. It's hard to tell what this means for their Premier League campaign, but it's looking good.

Some decent pre-season results so far mate, excited to see how this team performs in the Prem now!

Some decent pre-season results so far mate, excited to see how this team performs in the Prem now!

So am I, this is really fun so far - glad I chose it. (thanks for your suggestion) and hopefully it continues in this way.

Hello
Unfortunately it’s not good news I bring in the latest update
The Fm winter update completely wiped out all of my saves so anyway this is gone now very unfortunately.
I will be starting a new story with Frankfurt and hopefully I encounter no problems with that.
Thanks

Last edited:
Update: So anyway after a while FM decided to work and the save is back!!!

Also I will put this into a new thread as the format is pretty poor. Hope that's alright thanks