An Attempt to Change Scottish Football

Got to say this is making me want to start in Scotland with my local team Airdrie since I now live about 5 minutes from the stadium and hopefully work my way up or get the chance to take over Kilmarnock

Charged and Ready for Battle - The Title Run in

Following Ayr’s 2-1 win booking their place in the Scottish Cup Final, Moss made sure his side were up for the challenge of the domestic treble in the two weeks before they kick off their quest against Hibernian away.

One guy that has really stood up to the plate of Reece MacPherson. Since Michael Taylor was brought in he has had to win his place back in the side. And after doing so, he has been rewarded by becoming a Scottish International now having won three caps.

This form along with the defensive investment has led Ayr to be the most solid team by a considerable margin this season and is exactly why they’ve been a tough nut to crack for all teams – whilst making two cup finals.

Things kicked off superbly for Ayr. Going 2-0 up within the first 20 minutes, they held onto this margin all the way until the 92nd​ minute where Hibs went away with a consolation goal.

Meanwhile Celtic did their job away to Motherwell running away comfortable 3-0 away winners. The five points gap remained.

Resilience at its finest

The next game up saw Moss’ second favourite Scottish side Rangers come to Somerset Park. Often being the thorn in The Bhoys attempts to win the last couple of titles, it could be a chance for things to work the other way around this year. Any dropped points would give Celtic a real sniff to pounce.

And that it appeared to be, as only five minutes in The Gers took the lead. A proud man, John Proud scored a 25 yarder belter after a short free kick caught the Ayr team offguard. Not the best of starts.

Then just passed the half-hour mark it became double trouble for The Honest Men. Alfredo Morelos collected the ball and bought himself space and time with some excellent movement and individual skill to work his way into the Ayr box and then hit a shot into the bottom left corner.

The Moss Effect

Moss not impressed with this lacklustre start was stamping his feet down the touchline in anger at how his team appeared to have already thrown the game away with Celtic being the beneficiaries to possibly cut the gap to two.

But after Moss sprung from the dugout this brought an immediate positive reaction from the players. And a very quick response as within five minutes of Morelos’ goal Ayr pulled one back.

A simply fantastic strike from the Dane. After Hunt had cut in from the right wing he laid off a pass where Anderson just put his boot through the ball to then watch it fly into the top right corner. Game back on with the half time whistle then going to leave the game 1-2.

Sluggish Rangers

The second half then kicked off. With Rangers looking a little sluggish after the break, only one minute into the second half saw Ayr find their equaliser.

A lack of pressure from the Rangers team after a throw in just inside their half led to comfortable build up play. With the ball knocked into the path of Billy Arce, finding some time just outside the Rangers box he struck the ball putting some inswinging bend on his shot, to then curl just outside the reach of the far stretched keeper into the bottom left hand corner. All square!!

There was only one team now in it. Although Rangers had their moments, Ayr were the team making the moves. With the crowd in full support behind them, they kept plugging away.

The Comeback Complete

Then in minute 74 after giving away a free kick on the left hand side of the box, it was last season’s superstar Daniel Bonde who played a cross onto the head of new signing Michael Taylor who then flicked the ball deep to the far post area – to find the man always in the right place at the right time none other than Eamonn Lynch to nod home Ayr’s third of the game! An amazing comeback after being 2-0 down…

With a little over fifteen minutes left, no doubt Moss was ordering his side not to play dumb and ensure they kept the lead they worked so hard to get. The clock continued to tick down till the final whistle went to the delight of the Ayr faithful.

Showing such character and resilience to overturn a two nil deficit really isn’t just a critical 3 points, but will give the team the confidence and belief to push on and secure the league title – and make history in the Scottish Cup Final.

In Celtic’s second match, they were unable to beat Hibernian at Celtic Park. Two points dropped for them and the gap now increased back to a substantial seven points margin with three games to spare. This meant a win in Ayr’s next game away at Motherwell would crown Ayr Champions for the third successive year running.

No Drama – A Job well Done

So three points would be enough for The Honest Men. Standing in their way was Motherwell in a match that will be repeated in the Scottish Cup Final.

In a game Ayr bossed from start to finish, Billy Arce gave Ayr the lead after 16 minutes. After working the ball back down the field from a Motherwell goal kick, it found its way to the 30 year old winger who struck the ball well from the lefthand side inside the box and passed the despairing keeper. 1-0.

However Motherwell started the second half superbly and got their equaliser with their first shot on target of which they would only have two all game.

A simple run down the left flank with a ball wonderfully flighted into the box met the head of Fotherington giving the Ayr keeper no chance.

Naturally Ayr were pushing for the next goal after this one. And after 72 minutes after a scrappy affair around the box, the ball founds its way to Dane Sebastien Anderson who put his boot through the ball rifling it into the back of the net from 6 yards out. It doesn’t matter how they come, and Moss didn’t care.

The remaining twenty minutes saw Ayr play solidly. No need to take any risks, and Motherwell failed to create any real opportunities to ****** an equaliser.

A highly professional performance that got the job done and keep the League Trophy at Somerset Park for yet another year. Ayr then again Scottish Ladbroke Premiership Champions 2027/28!

View attachment 20735

Here are highlights of what Moss saw as the key game in winning Ayr’s third successive title, being the 3-2 comeback against the blue half of Glasgow, Rangers:

[video=youtube;xQest-PFaFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQest-PFaFU[/video]

The Final Countdown

We did suffer a defeat at home from the hands of Celtic. But with the Scottish Cup Final this coming weekend, we had more important matters to worry about.

Could Ayr take home an unprecedented treble? They’ll be going in favourites this coming Saturday, but cup final football does have a tendency to bring out an unbelievable performance and a surprise every so often.

It’s expected to be a full strength side out for the Honest Men. Moss will be hoping no injuries will occur in the week leading up to this massive game for the club.

View attachment 20736

Last edited:
Got to say this is making me want to start in Scotland with my local team Airdrie since I now live about 5 minutes from the stadium and hopefully work my way up or get the chance to take over Kilmarnock

Well I can safely say this is my most enjoyable save I've had on an FM. Part the challenge was to create tactics to get where I have done, whilst it being in a league where there is a clear objective to try and meet.

I thought about applying for Kille at one point in the save. Although being rivals with Ayr I'm not so sure how that would have turned out! I guess now its trying to reach the CL knockouts if I stay at Ayr - or move to the big two and try get European success.

Well I can safely say this is my most enjoyable save I've had on an FM. Part the challenge was to create tactics to get where I have done, whilst it being in a league where there is a clear objective to try and meet.

I thought about applying for Kille at one point in the save. Although being rivals with Ayr I'm not so sure how that would have turned out! I guess now its trying to reach the CL knockouts if I stay at Ayr - or move to the big two and try get European success.

Surely one of those jobs need to come up at the end of the season if you win the treble. Think rangers would pose the bigger challenge from the looks of it.

What experience and badges did you start off the save with?

Well our media prediction was second - so it's a lot harder now for them to underachieve. Celtic are always the closest challengers. Rangers recently hired Paulo Bento and they aren't expected to finish 2nd now, we are.

I started automatic with Peterhead in the lowest Division. So I think it might have been a 0.5 star. So I've had to work my reputation up and hope I didn't get sacked! I definitely left Peterhead at the right time to avoid that.

I've only ever created one character when I first got the game. I allocated all the points if I remember so my attributes will be high.

History Beckons

Only Rangers and Celtic have ever completed the treble in Scottish football. Ayr United now have the chance to add their name among these two Scottish giants if they can overcome the challenge posed by Motherwell.

Being hosted at Hampden Park, an attendance of 35,000 made the trip to witness what could be a historic day for The Honest Men.

One man looking to spoil the party however is former Ayr man Kevin Waugh. Eventually choosing to leave the Ayrshire club on a free, he’ll be looking to show Moss made an error by not playing him on a regular basis.

Hunting Success, Hunted Down…

With the crowd now settled into their seats, the game kicked off. With Ayr strong favourites Motherwell clearly took the approach of trying to park the bus in this one.

The tactics appeared to be working as Ayr were struggling to create any real clear cut chances despite a number of shots on goal. But when surrendering so much possession and not really causing any problems in attack, the likely outcome is you’ll eventually get punished.

The Motherwell resistance lasted until the 34th​ minute when the pressure finally told. With the Steelmen defending ever so deep, after working the ball up the pitch for the countless time, Stephen Hunt well positioned outside the 18 yard box hit a curling shot perfectly placed into the bottom right hand corner and outside the reach of the diving Doohan. 1-0 to Ayr.

Motherwell surely had to change their gameplan. With the half-time whistle now blown, would the Motherwell boss change their approach?

Resistance was Futile

Well if they tried, their attempts seemed to fail miserably. The pattern of the game continued on just like the first half.

Continuing to attack the Motherwell goal but again no clear cut chances, it did look like Motherwell were going to at least stay in the game until the 90th​ minute.

And that they did, with a shot count of 37 to 2 and no clear cut chances from either side, without Hunt’s moment of brilliance the game would have been all square.

But with one further minute into injury time, the game was finally put to bed and the Ayr fans could finally relax!

A throw in from the right hand side went uncontested, with the ball being worked to Ayr’s danger man on the right Stephen Hunt. Renowned for his direct play and dribbling ability, utilised that he did, coasting passed the tired Motherwell defence into their 18 yard box. With no player daring to tackle him inside the box, Hunt hit the ball low and with venom, ending up in the bottom corner to the near post of the goalkeeper who will be disappointed with his effort to not keep it out. 2-0!

And 2-0 it ended – Ayr had achieved what no other Scottish side has done outside of Glasgow, a domestic treble of the Betfred and Scottish Cups, along with a League title.

The travelling Ayr fans went into complete ecstasy at their sides achievement. Moss now undoubtedly has cemented his place as a legend within the club and no one will now want him to leave.

View attachment 20728View attachment 20727

View attachment 20726

One Man on the Day

There was also only one player on the pitch today who took all the plaudits – and rightly so. Man of the Match and match winner Stephen Hunt. Moss saw his potential with his wing play attributes and determined character, and he really has done his manager proud over the last few years. At 26 years of age there should still be a few good years left in him.

This win should bring in 5 million plus into the bank. Finances are now in a less than secure predicament and Moss already expects a very low budget going into next season. The challenge now appears to be maintaining that competitiveness, but a real thought for how purchases and investments affects the clubs finances both for continued growth and long-term stability.

[video=youtube;W6FPBOdHLHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6FPBOdHLHs[/video]

Last edited:
The Stars of 2027/28

Compared to last year, Daniel Bonde certainly had a much quieter year. However he did seem to be angry at me after I fined him for getting dismissed early in on the season.

Why? The kid needs to learn which at the moment he clearly is not. Having 24 yellow cards and 4 red cards this year, it’s going to harm ours and his own future prospects if he doesn’t sort out his discipline.

So irrespective of a highly respectable 7.20 average last season and winning the two young player of the year awards, he fails to get my recognition as a star of the season.

Who does? Here are my top picks:

Eamonn Lynch 7.01 – Another 30 plus goals a season haul, ending with 31. That for me is always a good return and our Irish International has yet another fine season for the club.

Reece MacPherson 7.25 – I’m delighted with Reece this season. As mentioned previously, he had to fight his way passed last year’s captain to get a first team spot. And since he has, he’s been a rock in our back-line and deservedly won Scottish caps for his form.

Stephen Hunt 7.49 – Hunty has been brilliant for us this season. Arce has often been our wing player getting a lot of credit, but after winning up a Cup Final single handedly and scoring some important goals last year he’s my number one player of the season – our fans also agree.

View attachment 20724View attachment 20723

Board and Personal Objectives

Media Prediction – 2nd​
Scottish Premiership – CL Qualification (Winners)
Scottish Cup – Final (Winners)
Betfred Cup – Final (Winners)
Champions League – Group Stages (Achieved)

A season we hit all of our targets. We’re in the position where we can only now go one way – and that’s perform worse than this year. So I can’t expect to do so well next season.

A few players will now have hit their thirties and a good several squad members are expected to leave on free transfers. It’s going to be a big Summer if we are going to continue to remain competitive at the top of Scottish football for not only the next, but several seasons forthcoming.

So with that said, our objectives have to be revised now. It has to be about getting the balance financially right with trying to still do as well as possible. This means making the top 2 and doing well in the domestic cups as every bit of money made is now really important.

That also means my transfer dealings will need to be dealt with much thought. It’s confirmed a 4.5 million budget is available but we’ll fast drop into debt when next season comes around.

So a lot to think about…I’m really not keen to lose any members of our squad and I’ve turned down bids for our Danish Striker Sebastien Anderson. But I may have to think about going down that route by trying to scout cheap potential talent to replace players we can sell for good money.

On a personal note, it was nice to win back the Manager of the Year award from Gary Holt whom won it last year. That makes it five times in six seasons with Ayr.

View attachment 20725

Season 11 – Ayr United “Cautious Spending”

Just about to kick off the season, and the club are now 3.8 million in debt. However we have 830k left in our transfer budget and our just under our wage budget which is at least one positive.

I have had to purchase a few players simply because we lost so many on free’s not wanting to extend their contracts. So it has been a very tough off-season.

Not renewing his contract at Celtic, I’ve brought in now 34 year old Callum McGregor. He’ll be backup for both central midfield positions. Being an experienced international currently having 90 Scottish caps, hopefully he’ll be able to use his age to do a decent job when required to fill in.

I’ve also gone back to Copenhagen to take another young talent off from them in Pedersen. He’ll be a backup left back and be retrained to play on the right too as he’s good enough to make our bench. Only costing 525k he’s real value for money and also brings good leadership to the pitch.

Our last signing is Martin Wilson. Coming from Dundee at 1.2 million he’s got attributes to be a decent advanced playmaker for us and be good enough to come in for when Bonde is suspended!!

So we’ve replaced two squad midfielders who left and a right back who also left. I have my squad of 25 for the year so at least I have the numbers again. And I’ve only spent 1.7 million so I think I’ve done well there.

Talent does seem to be scarce though when looking for players of a good value. It really does make me doubt how I’m going to go through these financial difficulties.

I’ll definitely need to continually scout through the year and hope that I do stumble into some cheap talent as there doesn’t appear to be any other answer to our problems as things stand.

View attachment 20722View attachment 20721

Media Prediction – 2nd​
Scottish Premiership – CL Qualification
Scottish Cup – Final
Betfred Cup – Final
Champions League – Group Stages

Our board have set us the same objectives as last year, so I do have room to do worse and still achieve our targets.

I really do hope I get a decent CL draw for once – I need to at least finish 3rd​ so that we can gain some income from the European knockout stages.

Its times like these when a club like Celtic who are a financial powerhouse can just keep spending freely and continue to make a profit. We’ve had our period where we had money to spend, but our infrastructure is absolutely killing us now.

Perhaps a new board will be willing to pump in millions one day – here’s hoping!! At least our reputation now makes fine reading. Who knows if this will have us stand out as a club worth investing in…

View attachment 20720View attachment 20719

Full of Surprises (Good and Bad)

I can only say “Oh My God” what a season so far.

For the opening seven or so games it looked like it was going to be a three way scrap. Celtic, followed by Rangers and then Ayr were closely contesting top spot.

However Moss’ side then suffered huge injury problems, whilst Rangers’ form was then starting to falter. This led to Celtic creating a five points gap at the top of the Division.

A Real Injury Crisis

Injuries had been suffered to Allen Campbell the Roy Keane of the team. Out for three months it was down to the adaptable midfielder Ferguson to fill in the void.

Soon after Stephen Hunt last year’s fans and manager’s player of the year also fell down to an injury with the duration at least a full three months. It was up to two star man Oliver Wall to replace him. A real hard act to follow.

And now star striker Sebastian Anderson also was put out for two months. With Oli Shaw leaving on a free, it’s down to youth player 18 year old Clan Dempsey to fill in his absence.

Really down to the bare bones, it’s a surprise that after fifteen games The Honest Men are only four points adrift of Celtic – and that’s including the beating of Celtic at Somerset Park in a staggering 6-1 victory. What a performance that was from Moss’ men.

Betfred Cup Final

And this 6-1 victory came just after this year’s Scottish Betfred Cup Final – where the boys from Ayrshire played The Bhoys from Glasgow.

In a bizarre game, in Allen Campbell’s first game back through a lengthy injury he only lasted twenty one minutes, getting his second yellow card of the game so he was off. He must have really been caught off guard with all that playing time missed.

Ten Men Ayr

So down to ten men, surely Celtic would punish Ayr for their ill indiscipline…well it sure was a turn up for the books.

Purchased last season on the cheap from Rangers, not much had been mentioned of him. A player with potential and was then at 20 years old and born from Israel. Guy Abuksis has great agility and acceleration with a good delivery of the ball and a good level of determination. He has similarities to Stephen Hunt, but he’s not the best with dribbling the football.

Finding it hard to get a run out, with an injury to Billy Arce he had his chance to shine and that he did.

A ball played across the box from the right from Hunt’s replacement Oliver Wall saw the Israeli come in late from deep to slot the ball home. 1-0 to Ayr with only ten men – is there a shock now on the cards?

Then in the 41st​ minute, Ayr decided to double their lead! A cross from Gibbins was met near the far post by Abuksis. Getting his head on target the keeper could only parry, but parry he did straight into the path of Wall who converted the ball towards the net and passed the helpless Farquhar. 2-0 to Ayr! And shortly after the half-time whistle blew.

Celtic Lose the Plot

With the second half under way, Celtic knew they had to continue to push and try find a way back into the game. But in the 50th​ minute the player count then became all square. A second yellow within three minutes for Zurkowski meant he saw red.

Only three minutes later Celtic then conceded a penalty after Matvienko carelessly took down Oliver Wall in the box with no immediate danger present. Anderson stood up…but hit the shot straight down the middle and saved by the keeper. Could this shake Celtic into top gear?

Five minutes later though all their hopes were dashed by the soon to be MOTM Oliver Wall with an absolutely brilliant finish. A long ball was not dealt with by the Celtic defence which gave Anderson room to work the left flank before crossing the ball far into Wall’s path who with ease hit the ball on the half volley giving the goalie no chance whatsoever. It was a finish of the highest order. A stunning volley.

With no further goals in the game it meant Ayr celebrated their 3rd​ Betfred Cup win in succession. Another trophy in the club’s cabinet and Moss’ growing CV of successes.

View attachment 20701View attachment 20699

[video=youtube;KIr271PVfdE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIr271PVfdE[/video]

But The Real Story So Far….

Could things get any more surprising? With such a depleted squad at times and the Champions League to contend with, it looked like another inevitably disappointing season in Europe.

So how did the draw turn out for Ayr this year? Well…. There was Roma, then there was Lyon….and then there was Barca! These were the exact same teams Ayr had to face a couple of seasons ago.

Now this looks like a horrific draw again. Well it could have been a lot easier, but past experiences show Ayr could finish above Roma…and Ayr can get a result against Lyon – and were highly unlucky to not beat them on their own turf last time around.

So this could be a real good test to see how Ayr have developed since that point….

Game 1 – saw Ayr face Roma. After taking the lead Ayr only needed to hold on in injury time…only to see Under score a 94th​ minute equaliser to ruin Moss’ day. 1-1 the game ended.

Game 2 – saw Lyon travel to Scotland. This time around Lyon took the lead early on. But Billy Arce salvaged a point a little passed the hour mark. The game finished 1-1.

Games 3 & 4 – At home and away to Barca. Just like last time, a close encounter at home which we lost 1-0. We then got a footballing lesson away from home losing 4-0.

Game 5 – What seemed to be a battle for a Euro Cup spot, Ayr had two points with Roma on one. At this time Lyon had 8 points and had to play Barca. Ayr shot into a 3-0 lead with Roma getting a consolation goal. The game ended 3-1 to Ayr! Meanwhile Lyon lost to Barcelona….

So the current state of play meant Ayr had 5 points and Lyon had 8 points. Ayr were travelling to France to face Lyon in the final game. As goal difference has no bearing on the placings, with a draw in the first game between these two sides, if Ayr were to win they would qualify for the Champions League Knockout Stages – that can’t possibly happen right?

Playing for the Knockouts – A War of Attrition - Game 6

With Abuksis establishing himself as the first team left winger and Allen Campbell back playing football, only Stephen Hunt was missing from a strong first XI for Ayr. Perhaps Wall filling in was a good thing….

Minute 13 Ayr took a surprise lead….and it was the Abuksis and Wall combo! Finding space to attack the left flank, Abuksis launched a lofty ball to the far right which met it’s target Oliver Wall who placed an absolutely superb one touch finish to the right of Areola in the Lyon goal. A great start for the Scottish underdogs.

Then only 12 minutes later Ayr doubled their lead! Full back Ecrepont decided to go on the outside of Abuksis, and after receiving the ball he found himself with plenty of time to pinpoint his cross low into the path of Eamonn Lynch who converted clinically. 2-0!

Panic Setting in?

Despite being two goals to the good, it was Lyon who were dominating possession and having more attempted shots on goal. And just before half-time hero Wall turned to villain getting his second bookable offense and being sent to the dressing room. With the half-time whistle blown shortly after, Ayr had to face a Lyon side needing a draw to progress. Could they keep them out for the next forty five?

Still unable to create one single clear cut chance, Lyon kept coming and taking pot shots at goal but to no avail. With the Ayr players now becoming tired Michael Taylor then got his second yellow card of the evening in the 78th​ minute. Ayr had now gone down to nine men!

With 12 minutes left plus added on time, it was a real backs to the wall job now. Starved of possession and not able to cover much ground defensively Lyon were desperately looking to get the two late goals they needed to stay alive in the competition….

But Ayr defended like heroic Gladiators. Sticking together as a unit and working for each other as one team they thwarted all the attacks being placed upon their goal… and the final whistle was eventually blown – Ayr had for the first time made the Champions League Knockout Stages!!!

A tremendous achievement for the club and everyone involved, Moss went out to celebrate with his players on the pitch on this historic evening.

View attachment 20698View attachment 20697

[video=youtube;d2lmD-0OfuI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2lmD-0OfuI[/video]

So the league may be a tough one to bring home this season. But a trophy already in the bag and surpassing expectations hugely in the Champions League, if Ayr can take second spot in the league it will still be seen, by Moss at least, a highly successful season with real progression shown despite the lack of investment made this Summer.

Last edited:
New Year Update

A Very Moss-Xmas and a Happy New Year”

With the festive period over and a two week break before the football season resumes in the second week of January, it’s truly going to be a very happy Xmas for Moss and his Ayr side – whilst giving his wishes to the blue half of Glasgow.

After the last set of games were played on the 27th​ December, Ayr grinded out a very hard earned win away to local rivals Kilmarnock with Lynch securing the victory deep into injury time.

Meanwhile Celtic had a real blockbuster clash with Old Firm rivals Rangers. Despite leading after scoring a late 84th​ minute goal, Rangers still ended up having the final say and scored a 93rd​ minute equaliser.

With Ayr and Celtic level on points going into this round of fixtures but The Bhoys having a far superior goal difference, the late Rangers goal now puts The Honest Men two points clear after having at one point being five points behind.

Ayr are due to face Livingston next in the Scottish Cup fourth round.

View attachment 20692

“Scotland and Ayr to Welcome Real Madrid”

In other news, Ayr’s present for knocking Lyon and Roma out the Champions League is a 1st​ Round knockout Champions League tie against the competition’s most successful club ever, Real Madrid.

No doubt Real Madrid will be huge huge favourites going into this one, and the reality is Ayr really don’t have a chance. But it will be good to see the Spanish giants come over and face a really determined Ayr team with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Moss will most definitely treat this game as a brilliant experience for both himself and the Ayr players. A taste of knockout football in the world’s finest competition is one the Ayr fans can’t wait to be a part of.

Doing great mate - congrats on getting through to the CL knockouts and best of luck v Real!

Lesson Received

As with our games against Real Madrid’s rivals Barcelona, a respectable performance at home was followed by a hammering away.

We have had injury problems this year. Hunt recently returned, but he’s continually taken knocks and not been able to get his match fitness back. But it wouldn’t have made much of a difference in these two legs any way.

The first game was a good performance from us, and we were unlucky to lose at home 2-0. They only made the one clear cut chance all game. Possession was only 51 – 49% in their favour, and we weren’t completely outplayed in every way.

Going into the second leg knowing the tie was already lost, a 4-0 away defeat put to bed the dream of winning the Champions League – no harm in dreaming that! It meant we could turn our attentions domestically…

But it was just nice to see our name with a bunch of top European names.

View attachment 20605

Moss Questioned

After nicking top spot off of Celtic before the Xmas break, I’ve kept true to my word and tried to improve our finances. A former player of the year for the club Billy Arce was offered to clubs and sold eventually for a deal that would in total come to around 4 million pounds.

The choice was made when young target for a couple of years Jack Scott who Chelsea initially wanted 120 million for took his price down to 275k! Competing with Crystal Palace for the signature, he decided to join the might Ayr United, giving us a profit of 3.7 million or so pounds from the two deals.

He’ll be backup for our Israeli kid, but he’s got attributes where he can come in and do a job, which is pretty much where Arce was now coming to in his career.

However for the first time I seem to have annoyed our fans. They were devastated at his sale and aren’t at all pleased. But that’s why they are fans and not a manager.

Down to the Wire

It appears the transfer dealings hasn’t had the negative impact the Ayr fans thought it may have. Jack Scott has come in and done a job in Abuksis’ absence.

The two points gap created at Xmas has been maintained, although Celtic actually had been leading for the majority of the time after our brief stint at the top of the tree over Xmas. Celtic also have a superior goal difference to us and it’s not something we’re going to be able to make up.

The Final Five:

Hibernian A
Rangers H
Hearts A
Motherwell H
Celtic H

It’s nice we have 3 home matches out of the 5, and it’s also good news both Rangers and Celtic have to come to our Somerset Park home. It maximises the chances we have of retaining our league title.

What has been worrying is with Hunt not getting into a real rhythm and Eamonn Lynch has been a lot poorer in front of goal this year, games we were winning comfortably last year have been more of a struggle.

Our defence has again though kept us in good stead which is the real reason why we didn’t only have a great Champions League run but it has kept us well in contention domestically.

I think with it being so tight, it looks inevitable that the last game of the season will be a title decider. As long as we aren’t 3 points down on Celtic before the last game, a win in front of our fans will be enough for take home the title...and I'm really confident, because Stephen Hunt is now getting games again and scoring - showing real glimpses of his player of the year form last season that has been sorely missed this year.

View attachment 20604View attachment 20603

Scottish Cup Final

After smashing Hibernian 4-1 in the semi’s, Celtic scraped past St Johnstone to have a repeat of the Betfred Cup Final which we won earlier on in the year.

We’ve not done too badly against Celtic at all this season, which will hopefully give our lads the confidence to go out there again and play their game.

The significance of the league and Cup Final this time around, is Celtic on both accounts are trying to prevent us from equalling the feat only they have ever achieved – the double treble.

It’s all still far off to be thinking about such an achievement, but six cup finals do stand between us and matching this amazing achievement that has only ever happened once before in the history of Scottish football….

Last edited:
Doing great mate - congrats on getting through to the CL knockouts and best of luck v Real!

Thanks mate - but as expected, we took a proper battering in the end! I was just happy to see our names thrown in the hat with a bunch of European giants :D

Celtic Capitulate as Ayr Celebrate

What promised to be a thrilling end to a highly competitive title race between The Glasgow and Ayrshire clubs, actually became quite a disappointment.

Ayr’s form was impeccable in the last five games. Winning every single match that included a 4-1 title day drubbing of Motherwell meant it was all too easy for The Honest Men who could afford to relax in the final game at home against Celtic – which Ayr won 3-1.

What went wrong for Celtic? They got to the Euro Cup quarter finals where they got battered by Manchester United 5-0 on aggregate.
Playing midweek, they had little time to recover and were forced to travel to Motherwell in the first of the five games. Losing that game 2-0, the gap then went in Ayr’s favour to 5 points.

They did bounce back in the next two games to beat Hibs and Rangers for once at this time of the season. But then a draw against Hearts in front of their own fans and Ayr’s comfortable win vs Motherwell meant their title challenge had been a disappointing ending.

After playing Ayr 4 times this season, they’ve won once and drawn one losing the other two.

So Ayr do have the edge going into the Scottish Cup Final, but motivation to at least win something and prevent Ayr achieving the double treble is something this Celtic squad will be more than up for.

View attachment 20500View attachment 20499

Scottish Cup Final – A Painful day for the Heart

So this is the game that will be probably Ayr’s best ever chance at emulating the only ever double-treble feat by their opponents Celtic.

A first XI was out for the Honest Men. With over 60,000 fans in attendance, this was probably one of the most packed attendances seen in this Scottish Cup Final for some-time.

Ayr seemed to have settle in the better of the sides, having more shots at the goal than Celtic although the score ended 0-0 at half time.

It took until the hour mark for the deadlock to be broken in this final, and it was none other than poacher supreme Eamonn Lynch who gave Ayr the lead….and it was an absolutely superb team goal from the Ayr bunch!

After some real intricate play that utilised the full size of the pitch, the ball eventually found its way to Lynch who struck the ball ever so sweetly to fly past the helpless dive of Farquhar. Barcelona-esque, well not quite but it really wasn’t that far off!

[video=youtube;BbswMu32Oto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbswMu32Oto[/video]

But Celtic then replied 11 minutes later in a very well worked goal. Working it down to the right flank, the ball got crossed to the near post. The Ayr keeper came out but was beaten to the ball by Jaramillo. He will be disappointed with his effort, and the marvellous goal Ayr scored was wiped out by a keeping error.

Minute 81 then saw a free kick on the left side of the Celtic box. Sometimes simplicity is beauty, and this it was. A cross in from the free kick found Michael Taylor who got ahead of his marker to head down low passed the keeper at the near post. 2-1 to Ayr!

With only 10 or so minutes to hold on, with experienced Internationals in the defensive positions for Ayr Moss was confident his side could hold on…

But only 3 minutes later, some patient build up play had led to Hannes Wolf finding a little space. He then hit a strong strike low from 20 yards out to the bottom right hand corner passed the despairing dive of Pawasa. Moss was fuming at the lead being thrown away twice in this final. The game then finished 2 a piece after 90 minutes with extra time now to be played.

Things like this can really knock the confidence out of you and Moss was worried how this would affect his team with another 30 minutes left on the clock to now play.

But it proved to be a rather uneventful extra time. The odd chance fell to either side, but there was always that feeling that there was a degree of nervousness from both sides.

Celtic known for choking and under pressure to win a trophy. Ayr with history at stake, whilst losing the lead twice does bring doubts mentally.

So after extra-time the game ended being the same score-line after 90 minutes – it would now take penalties to settle the tie….and so happy viewing:

[video=youtube;6amorXpajFo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6amorXpajFo[/video]

So there it was! Martin Wilson hitting the winning penalty in his first season at Ayr giving Ayr United the double-treble and making their place in the Scottish history book.

It really was not a good day for the heart of Ayr boss Moss. But elation at the end of the day it was as however you win a game of football, it’s only the winning that matters.

Looking at the game as a whole, it looked like Ayr were the side deserving of the victory. With that said, Celtic showed excellent resilience to come back twice in a game and that alone could be argument they did not deserve to lose.

But in any cup final, there can only be one winner – and today it was Ayr’s day.

View attachment 20498

Last edited:
The Stars of 2028/29

We overachieved with all our board objectives set this year…I’m still waiting for that bad year. I thought at times this was going to be the one with all our injury worries. But there was some inspired squad performances.

I have to mention both Oliver Wall and Martin Wilson. Because when these guys stepped in, they performed to an exceptional level and we remained consistent throughout the campaign. On the side again it was also nice to notch up another Manager of the Year award

So here’s a run down of my top 3 players who played a big part in us achieving our second treble in a row:

Daniel Bonde 7.42 – Back to his best, scoring the top average of our squad. Although still discipline is a problem, he performed well and played his part in our excellent Champions League run this year.

Guy Abuksis 7.34 – A really good average from the Israeli who rubber stamped his first team spot leading to the sale of Billy Arce, making it feel like he’d never be missed.

Reece MacPherson 7.34 – Really has come on as a centre-back. More international experience has come his way, and his performances were critical in keeping our defensive solidity this season.

On a side note, Eamonn Lynch had a poor season for the club. Well, not as prolific. He only notched 19 goals which compared to his x2 30 plus goals the last couple of years is definitely a down-turn in form.

With that said, he has come in up the big games, notably coming up with a hatrick on Title winning day against Motherwell.

View attachment 20494View attachment 20493View attachment 20492

Key Reasons for Success

I think there were several reasons why we accomplished what we did this year. Let’s go through some of the reasons why I think we made the double-treble this year:

Daniel Bonde again happy – After a poor season last year being discontent at being fined for poor discipline, Bonde “forgave” me and his form started to pick up. The midfield area is key, especially when playing a 442 you need players working hard. He was back to his best at times this season.

Guy Abuksis’ emergence - With Billy Arce on the decline, the young Israeli kid stepped up and when playing regularly he was performing better than Arce was this year on his decline. He’s also a fully experienced International now having won 36 caps for his country.

Defensive Stability – This was a second season where we had the same back-line as the previous season. Familiar with each other, and a growing number of International caps for keeper Pawasa, MacPherson at CB, and LB Finn Ecrepont meant their increasing experience added to this familiarity.

Stephen Hunt back to form – Although missing a lot of the year and performing poorly as a result, his form was picking up in the final few weeks of the season. Determined to play a part of the team’s success, I’m sure with his determination of 20 he really was up for bringing his part to the table at the backend of the season.

Sebastien Anderson fulfilling potential – Improved even more so than last year and now has 13 full Danish caps to his name. A lot of clubs have been bidding for him throughout the year, and so in his deep-lying forward position he was more of a handful this year.

Martin Wilson a good backup – When Bonde was suspended which again was not a rarity, we had a more natural and better advanced playmaker to come into the team this season. At 1.2 million, his services were a steal.

Celtic self-destructing – Their form just went completely AWOL in the final five games. Only 2 points behind us, they finished 10 points behind in the end. Whatever the reason, they failed when it mattered most… and it seems to be a pattern these last few seasons. Perhaps their players struggle in the bigger games when there is real competition to be faced.

Champions League Performance – Exceeding in such an elite competition was not only a great experience for the players but also a real confidence boost as a whole knowing they can compete and beat some of the best. Taking down Lyon and Roma isn’t an easy task and we got out of a difficult group.

Luck – It did take a penalty shoot-out to win the end of season Scottish Cup. Perhaps we deserved to win it, but nevertheless the shootout is a lottery and we were lucky on the day.

That’s my honest assessment. And it probably helped getting knocked out early in the Champions League because I know how fatigue can effect things when going further into the knockout stages.

6-1 v Celtic - And let’s not forget our 6-1 drubbing of Celtic in front of our home fans. It was actually an even game, but the score-line really does give happy reading and days like this can only bring confidence to the team….so here are the highlights of probably my finest result domestically as an Ayr United boss:

[video=youtube;3J5kipxn_zw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J5kipxn_zw[/video]

Stadium plans given the go ahead

In wonderful long-term news for the club, the new stadium plans have been given the thumbs up. I’m really happy with this, because now I feel I could stay at Ayr for the foreseeable future.

The capacity is due to fit in 22,197 spectators. We now will have undersoil heating too. The estimated completion date is for a little over two years time, which will be 23/6/31.

It appears the financial management this season could well have helped in this decision to go ahead. The cost is going to be about 25.5 million pounds. Securing Champions League football again along with our treble success will surely have aided the decision too.

Most of our signings now don’t have many instalments left to be paid. Only Michael Taylor has two big chunks of 3.1 million remaining to be settled.

We have been given a budget of just over 7 million. The smart thing to do would be to try to spend wisely the next year or two. Looking at the age of my squad, only Allan Campbell in centre midfield now 30 years of age will need to be replaced with someone of sufficient quality. I could also do with a better backup right winger and a adaptable midfielder to replace the now 35 year old free signing McGregor.

I’m hoping not to be able to do another Billy Arce – but it may be a case of selling Campbell to fund my replacements.

View attachment 20495

Last edited:
Ayr United – 2029/30 “Board Demand Title”

Media Prediction – 2nd
Scottish Premiership – 1st
Scottish Cup – Final
Betfred Cup – Final
Champions League – Group Stages

The stature of the club since I have taken over has been a highlight in the board’s eyes. With a 100% rating here, so much has changed since I took over which must now be a good nine years ago now.

The expectations have continued to rise, and although the media predict us to finish behind Celtic this season – our board want us to take the title home.

With that added pressure, I realise the importance of having a squad and first team capable of achieving this. I haven’t spent so long in a Summer window before, and my plans to be careful with our budget has gone a little outstretched for my liking.

View attachment 20427

Paton Returns

Isn’t it funny how football works? Gary Paton our star man a few years back now joined Man City after paying out his release clause.

However his career there appeared to be over. With City not wanting to offer him a contract and allowed me to bid zero for him, I happily took the opportunity to bring back a player I know can put the ball in the back of the net in this Scottish League.

So Gary Paton returns! But his lack of playing time has meant his development has stuttered and he’ll never reach his full potential. He’ll be on our bench this year, but is a definite improvement to our squad.

A Real Steal

A similar situation occurred with 23 year old Danny Quin. A right winger who has been at Arsenal his whole career, the club saw no purpose for him and allowed him to go on a free. Stephen Hunt has been a good signing for us, but this guy has a bit more about him all round and he’ll be slotting straight into our first XI – a real deal this one.

View attachment 20430

Investing in Youth

With one of my full-backs leaving on a free I needed to invest. Celtic had a number of decent full-backs available. But one in particular caught my eye in 20 year old David Manson. On Arsenal’s and Tottenham’s radar and a loan bid placed by Killie, I decided to splash 5 million on the kid.

He won’t be a starter, but a year of training and becoming more durable to play on both the left and right sides he’ll be on the bench. It’s just unfortunate I have a real good right back in Matthew Gibbins. But this kid could be a real asset long-term, and 5 million could be a steal so I couldn’t say no with no cheaper alternatives on the market.

A Different Dimension

The same problem here with not finding a good value replacement for the ageing Campbell. A great servant for us, but with his pace diminishing and no longer seen as a top Premiership player I had to splash the cash.

In comes 28 year old American International Tyler Collins. He’s not as combative at all, but he’ll cover more ground and has an eye for a pass too. Technically he is also superior, so we’ll be more fluid with working the ball up this year I expect but may not be so strong on the defensive front.

Bonde to Captain

It will mean Bonde has the next best attributes to be captain, with only one point less in the teamwork attribute. But I know he can really boss a game for us – so I’m hoping he’ll be up to the task, and with the extra responsibility hopefully he may finally learn to not be so reckless on the pitch! Brings memories of Rooney’s early day problems in that department.

View attachment 20429View attachment 20428

Well we’ve done some good business. Everything has been finalised before July, so I’ll have a good amount of time to work with our squad this year.

I hope I haven’t gone overboard on the financial front. But the added pressure for league success against a Celtic side that is capable of having a brilliant season is one I need to be fully prepared for.

Financially at the start of July we’re at 17 million in the bank. I know that will slide, but hopefully after last year we’ll still be in a decent enough position on that front for the next couple of years for when our new stadium will be ready!

Great to see how you've progressed. Solid summer in time for the coming season also. The new stadium should help progress you to the next level too, with the extra gate receipts.

Yeah, it can't come quick enough! Been fortunate with some of the players I've been able to get on the cheap. I'm hoping I can get Ayr into the CL knockouts on a regular basis being my long-term aim. Whether that's unrealistic I don't know, it's what I want to do though!

Quality mate - congrats the the second straight treble. Looking good for the upcoming season also.

A Mixed Bag

Domestic Progress

With the first set of New Years fixtures played the board are showing their dissatisfaction to Ayr boss Moss.

Despite being two points off from Celtic in the league, the board have voiced their views that the club is underachieving and by quite a substantial margin.

Ayr have found goals a lot harder to come by this season. Billy Arce has never truly been replaced when in his prime form, and that’s been evident this year.

Not enough has been contributed from Absuksis who had initially shown much promise last season, and Jack Scott although showing bits of brilliance, he’s not a good enough all round footballer to warrant a starting spot. Moss has used him as an impact player off the bench mostly.

Teams are also parking not just one bus, but two double-decker buses at times in front of their goal which has made things tough.

Celtic on the other hand have been very free-scoring, and it really looks like the four consecutive titles will be broken this season.

What has saved Moss so far this year are the performances in both the Betfred Cup and the Champions League.

View attachment 20241

Betfred Cup Final / Ayr United 4 – 0 Celtic

An excellent performance from The Honest Men at Hampden Park secured another Betfred Cup success making it four years in a row.

Although the game was even in the first half with the whistle blowing whilst the scores were nil nil, four goals in 13 second half minutes blew The Bhoys literally away…

It began in the 76th​ minutes when Eamonn Lynch when Anderson played in a tidy through ball, finding a little bit of space Lynch kept his composure to strike well passed the keeper.

The lead was double only three minutes later when Danny Quinn was fouled in a dangerous position on the right side of the box Lynch converted, sending the keeper the wrong way.

With Celtic pushing on to try get back into the game, the high line was exploited with Lynch being played free, to then cross the ball to the left side finding Jack Scott with time to place his finish in the 88th​ minute.

And then immediately after the kick off with Celtic heads well and truly down, losing the ball cheaply Bonde played a through ball who then got ahead of his opposite man to fire the ball home passed the keeper in a 1v1. 4-0! And another hammering the Ayr lads have dished out on the boys from Glasgow.

View attachment 20240View attachment 20239

[video=youtube;vSJYM6cr0pU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSJYM6cr0pU[/video]
Champions League

The competition this year for Moss’ side has been the success story of modern day Scottish football – and in turn alleviated all the pressure off of Moss with Ayr’s domestic league position.

Finally Ayr had a weak 4th​ side in their group, Ludogrets. The other sides were AS Monaco – and yet again Spaniards Barca.

An Amazing Start

The campaign started away at the Nou Camp Stadium. Although bossing the game and recording 31 shots at the Ayr goal, only one clear cut chance was created – the same number as made by Ayr.

We took a surprise lead through Sebastian Anderson in the 20th​ minute. But a reply a little over 10 minutes later levelled the game. A dirty game with a lot of bookings totalling 7 for us and a red card! But we held on valiantly and made the trip back to Scotland with an outstanding point gained.

It was then Ludogorets at home for us, and we took this game home 2-1 leaving us with 4 points from our two games played.

A Shock in France

Then we had a tough fixture away against Monaco. If we were going to somehow make the knockout stages, this is the team we would have to target to get a shock result against.

Things did not start so well as they took the lead in the 22nd​ minute. But a reply from Eamonn Lynch 4 minutes later tied the game going into the break.

In the 51st​ minute Lynchy bagged his second and gave us a shock lead! And then Tielemans their star man in the middle of the park got himself a red card, and Monaco were down to 10 – it was a brilliant chance to get a result.

And that we did! There were no more goals in the game. We controlled possession well ending up with 54% and had 16 shots to their 10. This result was a real game changer for the whole dynamic of the group – and we’d given ourselves a brilliant chance to progress.

Finishing the Job

We then had Monaco again in the game at home this time. Daniel Bonde was suspended (as always) so in came Martin Wilson. But with home advantage we would be a tougher nut for them to crack…and importantly a win here would already secure our Knockout qualification with an amazing two games left to spare!

The game tight for long long periods…but the breakthrough came through in the 88th​ minute! The freebie from Arsenal Danny Quin hit a superb volley from a ball launched across from the left side of the pitch passed the helpless keeper.

We held on for the remaining minutes plus injury time. And we had notched up a hugely impressive 10 points from four games with two to play.

View attachment 20237View attachment 20236

Top – for just a bit

Barca next – and we were top of the group for 10 minutes! But they equalised in the 60th​ minute tieing the game back up at 2-2 which it ended as. 11 points from 5 games but second place in the group on goal difference.

Ludogorets were dispatched at their place with ease 3-0 in the final game to make it 13 points from 5 games…Barca in the mean time also made very light work of Monaco at Camp Nou so they kept their spot as winners in the group.

I have to say I never dreamt of performing so well in our Champions League Group. I was expecting a Euro Cup spot because we haven’t done well against Monaco previously.

But the squad performed heroics in each and every game – and to remain undefeated in a group containing Barca is one immense achievement. I can’t see this ever happening again at Ayr!

Unfortunately we’ll be missing Bonde and Tyler Collins both our first team midfielders in our next CL game. A hard draw, and the tie could immediately be out of reach. Finishing in second, that will likely be the case.

View attachment 20238