Reaction score
An Englishman Abroad

It’s 3 in the morning, and I’m f*****g freezing. The rain that was falling has turned to sleet and I
swear my left hand is the colour of Coventry City’s home shirt. I still have five more hours before my
check in time. F**k.

It’s no longer 3 in the morning, in fact its 3 in the afternoon in Boxford, a small village not far from
Ipswich. With the sun beating down and no cloud within sight, it’s a stark contrast to 12 hours ago.

Hang on…you don’t know who I am.

My name is Richard Abbott, born in Ipswich on the 10th of January 1980, making me 34, Christ, no
wonder I’m going grey. Anyway, after 17 seasons playing for my beloved Ipswich Town (I signed for
them as an 18 year old, from AFC Sudbury), I decided to hang up my boots, my knees decided that
running was no longer a possibility. (attach Wiki page).
After I retired on the 30th of May 2014, I decided to step into management. Armed with my Europa B
Licence and 2 years part time coaching of Ipswich’s Under 14’s, I sentenced my agent, John Melton,
to offer my services to some of Europe less talented clubs…

June the 1st 8:05 AM

“Well I’m just a teenage dirtbag baby, come listen to Iron Mai…”

Hello?
Richard, its John, you’ve got an offer
What?
FC Wil, in the Swiss Second Division, they want to interview you
Who the f**k are FC Wil? Hang on, interview me?
Yeah, you know, the part before they offer someone a job?
Yeah, yeah, I know that much. When?
Next week, the 14th to be exact.
Book my flights and I’ll be there.

June the 8th 14:00 Local Time

So, I was here, interview done and (hopefully) good impression made, they seemed to like me and my awfully pitiful German, learnt from watching the Bundesliga and playing Championship Manager in foreign languages. I’m told Wil is exquisitely beautiful in summer, and in the winter just jaw-dropping. From what I’ve seen it’s a cute town, spoiled by the near constant cover of drizzle. My version of home, my wife’s version of ****. I haven’t told her yet. The stadium is small, very small. The facilities dodgy at best. The people are nice, I think they remember me from scoring 4 away at St Gallen; one older gentleman even congratulated me on it.

June the 15th 12:32 BST

My mobile is buzzing away on the side as I lean over my youngest to reach it, answering it as I walk
out the room.

Richard, it’s John, Wil want you.

Umm, okay, what the money like?
Ah, it’s not very existent, in fact, it’s barely there.
Just tell me what they’ve offered.
It’s full time, 350 euro a week, 1 year, with 90% of a new role compensation. Oh, and a 3 bedroom house, rent free.
I’ll do it, when do they want me to start?
ASAP, I can book you on a flight for tomorrow, get packing.
Done. Thanks John.

June the 16th 6:29 AM Local Time

Okay, I take it back, Wil is beautiful. The early morning sunrise and the low cloud creates the most stunning image to walk out to. The chairman, Roger Bigger, came and gave me a lift to my new house, he seems a lovely chap and made even better by the fact he owns a Ferrari 250 GTO, what happened to the Swiss disliking speed? The house is nice, very nice in fact, spacious rooms and surprisingly well furnished. My wife’s bringing the kids and everything down for the weekend. I meet the players tomorrow, **** I'm nervous.

June 21st

What a busy busy couple of days I've had! The friendlies have been announced and the first friendly cup is being played! Oh, and the wife and kids have joined me in Switzerland, and none are mad at me...I must be doing something right!

Our first friendly competition was the "Wil Cup", compromising of Red Bull Salzburg, Kaiserslautern and AS Nancy Lorraine.

Semi Final...
View attachment 245671

We actually didn't play badly, but they where a tiny bit better than us.

Tomorrow we pay Red Bull Salzburg, in the Third Place Playoff.

Last edited:
July 27th

Wow, pre season doesn't seem even half as hectic when you're a player! As far as results go however, they've been so much better than the first tournament, as the schedule below shows.

View attachment 245611

A brilliant win in the Italian Invitational, and beating Genk was an excellent defensive performance. As for the Practice Cup, well, if I didn't win that, I would have resigned.

Onto the opening day, and what a win, against a team who have played in Europe as recently as the 2012/13 season! Money issues haven't served them well...

View attachment 245609

All in all, a brilliant start to the season. Long may it continue! #ForzaWil

Ohh another playing the Second tier of Swiss football and here I thought I was the only one to end up in that strange situation ;)

Forgot to update this one with some latest news!

Unfortunately, my laptop took a dislike to this save, and with it being so near the start, I hadn't made any backups. Therefore, the save and story are slightly dead...

However, to quote Arnie...

View attachment 240045