Gestalt

Reaction score
Ok, so I've played these football manager game thingys for years, and I've always considered trying out different combinations of players, so I'm considering trying something out, my reason, I'm signed off work for a minimum of 3 weeks after dislocating my left knee, and despite the amount of DIY I need to do, I can barely manage to go for a **** (I know you didn't want to hear that. :p)

Here is what I am proposing:
I am going to start a new game with say Arsenal, and using the FMRTE create a team of players who excell in mental attributes, but not so much physically. Then I would holiday for 1 season, allowing time for the team to gel and get accustomed to a very basic formation or just max it out in FMRTE, I would more than likely use a standard 4-4-2, with no tweaks to the mentality, player settings, in game shouts, I will use no opposition instructions and will use the same team talk per fixture etc...

I would then (using the same save - pre holiday) create a team again using FMRTE built on very high physical stats and less on the mental aspect, again I would holiday for a season, then using the same formation play say half a season of both games to see the outcome.

Depending on whether I can be assed I might consider a blend of the 2, with an equal divide between high mentality and high physical, a 2-2-1 / 2-2-1 split.

So the only different variables would be the squad, all the others, Formation, Staff, Instructions, Fixtures, Leagues etc would be the same, as IRL I cannot control the weather though, shame, but I'll have to make a note of that.

I'm interested to know, before I waste (it is a bit frivolous this) my time, if anyone has tried this, or feels they could tell me the outcome already, or that due to so many factors built in to the game/match engine that multiple attempts at each game would be needed, or if it is a pointless exercise in general... If you're gonna tell me I'm a tad on the sad side, save it, I'm bored shitless here damnit!

After all that if I do go ahead with this, I will need player suggestions, and a keen eye incase I've missed a variable that I can control... How best to split the squad should I try the 3rd blended option. (I'd consider, high physical FB, Wingers and high mental CB, CM, with a 50/50 upfront.)

Comments welcome.

Last edited:
About five attempts at each would be needed because of injuries, form, luck, other sides injuries, form and luck as well as discipline the areas left with zero in would be variable it would take too many tests to be worth while.

What if before each game, using FMRTE I healed team, removed team bans and inspired team, that would close down the variable to a consistent level? The only factor in that I can't control would be opposition players, unless I do the same for them aswell.

hmm :s

What if before each game, using FMRTE I healed team, removed team bans and inspired team, that would close down the variable to a consistent level? The only factor in that I can't control would be opposition players, unless I do the same for them aswell.

hmm :s
You could do that but you still wouldn't have control over the match engine which controls how the teams perform and sometimes teams stupidly over or under perform because of it.