An Island Team Conquering The World Of Football... Must Be Mission Impossible V!

PopPunkRocker

Reaction score
"Calling all passengers of flight number EZY 6589 to Funchal to gate 2."

"Well, guess that this is our flight." I said to my mate.
We boarded the plane and were ready to depart for our summer holidays to Madeira Island. Three hours and a half later, we arrived at Madeira. I could tell that the air was fresh and nearly pollution free. My mate was shocked by the beauty of the island.
"I told you so." Thats all I said on our trip to the hotel.

Two days later I revived a phone call.
"Hello. This is Carlos Pereira, chairman of C.S. Maritimo."
"Oh, how strange for to call me. Well, how can I help you sir?"
"Our manager, Mitchell Van Der Gaag, is no longer our manager due to family reasons and we are wondering if you would like to be our new manager?"
"Sure. When can I start?"
"Today!"
"Oh great. I'll be there soon. Thanks for job."
"OK. Thanks for taking the job"

My mate heard the whole conversation.
"So you come on holidays, only to find out you got a job offer! It must be your best holidays ever?!"

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 12:34 PM ----------

"Welcome Mr. Souness. It's a pleasure to have you here at the club."
"Please call me Graeme."
"OK! So we're here to discuss your contract and other stuff..."
"Five thousand seven hundred and fifty till June 2011"
"That's what I was going to say. Looks like we have an agreement. Our minimum expectation is to achieve a respectable league position."
"I want to qualify the team for Europe."
"OK! Then you will get a transfer budget of five hundred and fifty thousand pounds and a wage budget of one hundred thousand pounds per-week. The club is currently spending £81467 per-week on wages. The club also is low on funds so please don't ask for more transfer or wage budget and improving training and youth facilities or to expand the stadium."
"Sure. No problem. Well, goodbye for now, Mr Pereira."
"Please call me Carlos."

And a new chapter in my career is open.

logo_rtp_madeira.jpg

"Tonight, we have a special guest with us. It is Graeme Souness. The main topic of this interview is Maritimo's pre-season preference. So Mr. Souness comes to Madeira, only to find yourself two weeks later with a job. How do you feel about having an "extended" holidays?"
"You could ask that question in a couple of words. And yes, of course I'm glad to get this job."
"Your team has finally completed their pre-season matches. Do you feel your team are ready for the new season?"
"The first couple of games will be though and... second of all, this does not mean I will, but the transfer window is opened till the 31st of August, so if new players come, they won't be as ready as the rest of the team."
"So what will you be doing to get those new players ready?"
"Sorry but I don't want other managers to steal my genius plan."
"Maritimo has finally completed their pre-season. How good was it?"
"Some people may say it was an awful pre-season, but I think it was a good one because now I know where to improve the team."
"The new season is about to start and do feel your team is going to achieve what is expected of them?"
"It won't be easy to do it, but we will do our best."
"Thanks for your time Mr. Graeme Souness."
"You welcome."

Results

Wolfsburg 3 - 1 Maritimo
HSV 2 - 0 Maritimo
Stuttgart 5 - 0 Maritimo
Schalke 3 - 0 Maritimo
America 5 - 0 Maritimo
New York 2 - 0 Maritimo
MK Dons 1 - 1 Maritimo
Maritimo SC 0 - 5 Maritimo
Maritimo 0 - 3 Lazio
Mallorca 2 - 1 Maritimo
Maritimo 0 - 1 Chelsea
Maritimo 3 - 2 PSG
Maritimo 2 - 1 Fulham
Maritimo 1 - 2 Anderlecht

Sorry for not updating lately.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August

Matches
Vitoria de Setubal 1 vs 2 Maritimo
Graeme Souness said:
The team responded well to the controversial goal for Vitoria de Setubal. They remained together and gave all they had. I was pleased and it's a great way to start the season.
Metalist 1 vs 1 Maritimo (UEFA Europa League)
Graeme Souness said:
We knew it was going to be tough. We wanted a goal at least and not let in to many. I'm pleased with them and I hope they keep up this start of season form.
Maritimo 1 vs 2 Porto
Graeme Souness said:
It was an unfair result and I'm afraid it might spoil the team's morale. They played well against a tough opponent. I felt a draw would be more fair.
0 Maritimo vs 0 Metalist (UEFA Europa League)
Graeme Souness said:
Even if it was a draw, we are in the Europa League and I'm happy. We had a home advantage and I felt we could have won. Although we didn't score, the defenders remained tight at the back and that was great.
Rio Ave 2 vs 1 Maritimo
Graeme Souness said:
Again an unfair result. They scored early and it hurt us, but the team came back and did their best to score, and we did, but their late goal gave them the win.
League Table
leaguetable.jpg

UEFA Europa League Group G
elgroupg.jpg

Transfers
transfersa.jpg

Last edited:
Keep Going man, great story, loving following Portuguese stories :D To bad Martimo lost 2 - 1 today IRL in the Europa league :(

Keep Going man, great story, loving following Portuguese stories :D To bad Martimo lost 2 - 1 today IRL in the Europa league :(

thanks(H)
an yeah it's a massive shame
would have done tons of good for both Maritimo and Portuguese football:(
but at least I made it (A):p:D:)

September

Maritimo 2 vs 1 Leiria

Graeme Souness said:
Finally a win. The team dominated both in defence and attack. We could have scored more if it wasn't for the teams overall accuracy.

Maritimo 1 vs 2 Rosenberg (UEFA Europa League)

Graeme Souness said:
The team gave it all away in the second half. We only had one shot on target, but we had far more chances. Our accuracy let us down, but the overall team performance was great against a team with lots of european experience.

Maritimo 0 vs 2 Nacional da Madeira

Graeme Souness said:
OUCH! A huge disappointment. The team we're totally bullied by our rivals. I'm just not in the mood to talk about this match.

Leixoes 1 vs 3 Maritimo (League Cup)

Graeme Souness said:
Great win, and a well deserved one too. We bullied newly regulated Leixoes this time.

Braga 2 vs 1 Maritimo

Graeme Souness said:
The team gave it all they had, and we could have gained a point at AXA Stadium, but we gave it away.

League Table
leaguetablee.jpg

Europa League Group G
elgroupg.jpg

League Cup Group C
leaguecupgc.jpg