An Italian Revolution: In Pursuit of Excellence

View attachment 379379

COC 3rd Round: 25th of September
West Bromwich Albion 1-2 Sunderland (AET)

View attachment 379381
Following the home win against Aston Villa just three days before, Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio made five changes to his starting eleven for the trip to The Hawthorns including a start for Swedish winger David Moberg Karlsson. In just the third minute, the Black Cats had fallen behind. Some smart play by Chris Brunt on the edge of the Sunderland area allowed Shane Long space to slot home from 10 yards to give the hosts the lead. Di Canio was understandably furious and demanded an instant response from his team. Four minutes later, he saw that response. Some very intelligent team-play from his side allowed Jack Colback to find space on the left. His low cross beat four West Brom defenders before Charis Mavrias slotted home to level the scoring. At half-time, Giaccherini, Praet and Larsson replaced Mavrias, Altidore and Moberg Karlsson. After 90 minutes, the game still hadn't been decided and went into extra-time. A quick Adam Johnson free-kick allowed Dennis Praet to find space in the West Brom box and finish coolly to send his side into the next round where they will face Leicester City.

Man of the Match: Jack Colback

Managers Opinion: "I am very happy today. We made big changes to my team because the game was so close to Villa and tiredness sets in. Jack was very impressive today and someone I think has a big future at the club. The overall team performance was good enough to get us through and I'm happy that we got the chance to give young lads a run out against good opposition. We now go home and work hard once more because we have City in four days' time."

View attachment 379398

Matchday 6: 29th of September
Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland

View attachment 379399

With his side playing their third game in seven days, Paolo Di Canio opted to make 6 changes to his starting eleven. El-Hadji Ba, Wes Brown, Fabio Quagliarella, Cabral, Vito Mannone and Stephane Sessegnon were all recalled. Despite being overwhelming underdogs, Sunderland were urged to pressure their opponents high up the pitch from the off by Di Canio. In the 20th minute, a Fernandinho corner found the head of Yaya Toure who rose above the Sunderland defence to give his side the lead. Di Canio urged his team forward and to their credit, they didn't let the conceded goal knock their confidence. Nine minutes after conceding, a smart Stephane Sessegnon through ball allowed youngster El-Hadji Ba to run through on goal and level the scoring. At half-time, Steven Fletcher was brought on to replace the disappointing Fabio Quagliarella. With 15 minutes left to go of the second half, Dennis Praets corner found the head of Modibo Diakite who nodded his side in front. However, just four minutes later, Adam Johnson - on his return to the Etihad Stadium - tripped Argentinian Sergio Aguero in the box. Midfielder Fernandinho stepped up to finish the scoring at 2-2.

Man of the Match: El-Hadji Ba

Managers Opinion: "I'm obviously very pleased - it is a great scoreline against a strong team. We battled for 90 minutes and I think we were the better team so maybe I'm slightly disappointed to come away with just a single point. But we have to remember this is City and we're battling above expectations at the moment so I'm very happy. My team were good today, the passing was good and we had clinical finishing. I'm a little disappointed we gave away a penalty but we can't afford to blame one another - today was a team effort and, as a team, we earned a good point."

View attachment 379471
Matchday 7: 6th of October
Fulham 1-0 Sunderland

View attachment 379472

In the first match of the month, Di Canio named a strong Sunderland side as they travelled to Craven Cottage to face an in-form Fulham. Larsson returned to the starting eleven after missing the last few games through injury and sat in central midfield alongside Cabral. After a bright start to the game, Sunderland fell behind thanks to a Marica header. Valentin Roberge afforded Damien Duff far too much time on the wing and the Irish winger swung in a cross which Marica nodded home. Di Canio was noticeably furious with his defender who failed to close down the dangerous winger. At half-time, Charis Mavrias and Steven Fletcher replaced Adam Johnson and Fabio Quagliarella. With the game coming to a close and Sunderland still trailing, Dennis Praet played in half-time substitute Steven Fletcher who smashed the ball against the far post and thus wasting Sunderlands best chance of the game.

Man of the Match: Cabral

Managers Opinion: "Today, my team was not good enough. I am very disappointed because we have been doing well lately but I am tired after today. We were simply not good enough. Fulham did not deserve to win but neither did we so I hold my hands up and say well done. Today we must learn lessons because the game was pretty even but they were ruthless and we were not. Ruthlessness today won the game for our opposition so I want my boys to look at that and think they need to be more ruthless because we wasted a lot today. I am angry at my boys, very angry."

View attachment 379542

Matchday 8: 20th of October
Sunderland 2-1 Swansea City

View attachment 379543
Following the disappointing loss at Fulham, Di Canio opted to make just one change to his starting eleven. Local midfielder Jack Colback replaced swede Sebastian Larsson in the centre as the rest of the team remained unchanged including another start for experienced Italian Fabio Quagliarella. Before the game, Di Canio had called on his players to make better use of their goalscoring chances as he watched his side waste several opportunities two weeks ago at Craven Cottage. In just the 2nd minute, Praet had responded to his managers calls. After some smart build up play on the left hand side between Adam Johnson and Fabio Quagliarella, Praet found room on the edge of the box and smashed the ball home giving Sunderland the lead. Around the 20th minute, Swansea equalised through a stunning Jonathan De Guzman free-kick from all of 30 yards. Di Canio himself applauded. At half-time, David Moberg Karlsson and Jozy Altidore replaced Adam Johnson and Stephane Sessegnon and it was one of those substitutes who created the final goal. Karlsson cleverly beat 3 players before sliding in a through ball for Quagliarella who slid the ball home to give Sunderland all three points.

Man of the Match: Fabio Quagliarella

Managers Opinion: "Today I am happier than a fortnight ago but I am still not delighted with my team. We played a good game today against a good team but a one goal lead is not enough in this division. I am bored of going on about scoring more goals but we need to improve our scoring or we will be disappointed at the end of the season with where we are. I thought I had three good strikers to battle but nobody seems to want to fight for their place so I may have to look at other players soon."

Last edited:
Any comments from anyone? Currently getting views but not many messages so let me know how you like it!

EDIT: Before anyone has the chance to respond, I understand it's not all about messages. I'm posting the story as much for my enjoyment as anyone else's but it'd be nice to get some views. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Your doing well mate, just keep posting and I'm sure the comments will follow.

I'm in the same boat as you with my story, not many comments, but getting the views.

KUTGW :)

Your doing well mate, just keep posting and I'm sure the comments will follow.

I'm in the same boat as you with my story, not many comments, but getting the views.

KUTGW :)

Thank you for your reply mate - it's much appreciated. I'll keep posting and hopefully entertain people in the process :)

I'll check out your story, too.

Thank you for your reply mate - it's much appreciated. I'll keep posting and hopefully entertain people in the process :)

I'll check out your story, too.

No problem at all mate, happy to post a reply on it.

Cheers, appreciate it..

Great story so far. I'm especially liking layout, beautiful. I adore Di Canio, started to follow Sunderland because of him, hope that you will do well. Keep it up, mate...

Great story so far. I'm especially liking layout, beautiful. I adore Di Canio, started to follow Sunderland because of him, hope that you will do well. Keep it up, mate...

Thanks for your comment - it's really appreciated. I'll try keep it up for guys like you :)

View attachment 379895

Matchday 9: 27th of October
Sunderland 2-1 Norwich City

View attachment 379898
Due to the impressive performance of his players against Swansea, Di Canio made just one change to his starting eleven as Steven Fletcher replaced Benin international Stephane Sessegnon who had taken a slight knock in midweek training. Sunderland, like in the match against Swansea, started brightly once more when Fletcher was fouled inside the area by Tettey. The Scottish striker himself stepped up to smash the ball home - sending the keeper the wrong way - and give the hosts the lead. Just moments before half-time and Sunderland doubled their lead thanks to the intelligent Dennis Praet. The young Belgian midfielder chipped the ball into Fletchers run who volleyed home with his first touch from outside the area. However, unfortunately for Sunderland, Norwich pulled one back minutes after half-time. Leroy Fer laid the ball off to experienced Wes Hoolahan who hit home from the edge of the area. An impressive second-half defensive display from the hosts meant the game ended 2-1.

Man of the Match: Steven Fletcher

Managers Opinion: "I am obviously happy with the result because we pick up another three points but the goal we conceded disappoints me. We can not be beating these teams by just one goal at home because we will be punished. We need to be more ruthless and at the moment my strikers are not doing enough. Maybe it is something I have to look at behind closed doors but we need more goals. We played okay today but I still expect to see more."