An Unoffical Guide to Understanding and Preventing Slumps and Bad Form

You know, this reminds me of something I've always wondered about: the logic of the engine seems to make ball-winning tactics really effective assuming the right players. Like, more so than other types, especially when the pressure's on. To me, the game is at its hardest when you are in the promotion zone with like ~15 games to go, and when I survive, it tends to because because of ball-winning midfielders and tactics that seek mostly to disrupt.
On the FM level - don't ask me, although we're still hanging onto the play-off places, Verona has entered yet another run of games without a win, starting with a pathetic 4-1 loss at home against Sassuolo. You asked me who I play in central midfield - the answer is, at the moment, whoever isn't injured.

But on a general level - my opinion is that ball-winning is the single most important part of football. Barcelona are not the best team in the world because they're the best at passing, even though their fans like to think so. They're the best because they are the best at pressing. They have the fittest athletes of any team, they run faster than anyone for longer than anyone, and they are the best at winning the ball back when they've given it away. The fact that they are also brilliant one-touch passers and have the best footballer in the world is a bonus.

Pressing is not just a defensive tactic; if you win the ball back when the opposition are not expecting it, you can exploit the gaps that appear in an onrushing defensive line. In Rugby football this is called 'turnover ball', and if you've watched rugby often, you'll know that even the words "turnover ball" carry a sense of panic and danger.

In association football counter-attacks aren't as quick (because there are more players back, and you have to kick the ball ahead of you instead of carrying it) but the tactic of getting the ball back when the opposition aren't thinking about defence, and attacking the gaps, is still the most effective. If you watch Barca a lot, you'll see that for all the tiki-taka, they are by far the most dangerous from turnover ball. Celtic and Chelsea proved that - they beat them because, as far as I can remember, they didn't give the ball away in midfield once. Only in their own half (when they were organised) or after a failed final ball (when they had time to get back).

See also: Juventus, Dortmund, Bilbao against Man U, and pretty much all the best European sides at the moment. Man City as well, before Mancini got third-season syndrome.

My preferred central midfield has always been a box-to-box midfielder with lots of stamina who likes to hunt the ball down, either in defence or attack, and a ball-winning midfielder who screens the back four - a D/DM/M(C) type. That applies in both my preferred 4-2-3-1 and the 3-4-3 I've been forced to now.

*edit* My point - which I almost forgot to summarise - is that the reason the engine makes ball-winning tactics effective, is because they're effective in real life.

Last edited:
But on a general level - my opinion is that ball-winning is the single most important part of football. Barcelona are not the best team in the world because they're the best at passing, even though their fans like to think so. They're the best because they are the best at pressing. They have the fittest athletes of any team, they run faster than anyone for longer than anyone, and they are the best at winning the ball back when they've given it away. The fact that they are also brilliant one-touch passers and have the best footballer in the world is a bonus.

In association football counter-attacks aren't as quick (because there are more players back, and you have to kick the ball ahe

My preferred central midfield has always been a box-to-box midfielder with lots of stamina who likes to hunt the ball down, either in defence or attack, and a ball-winning midfielder who screens the back four - a D/DM/M(C) type. That applies in both my preferred 4-2-3-1 and the 3-4-3 I've been forced to now.

Love to hear more about the tactics you're using; maybe we could figure out why you're slumping. (Then again, it might not have to do with your tactics...)

When I'm really struggling, I like to come up with a formation that works around 3 midfielders: a BWM on support, a DLP on support, and a BWM on defend. The idea is mostly to disrupt play and to protect your defensive line. You have to have the right personnel, of course, but assuming you do, this set can also be modified a number of ways depending on how you like to play.
When I'm looking for more opportunities, I let the BWM have longer passing and more through balls. If I want possession, I keep everything short and use only the DLP for through passes.

Fantastic guide mate, really well written. It's given me a great insight into the slightly more complex areas of fm but it all seems to be common sense. Would love to see more from you because it's such a help to a lot of people.

Fantastic guide mate, really well written. It's given me a great insight into the slightly more complex areas of fm but it all seems to be common sense. Would love to see more from you because it's such a help to a lot of people.

Thanks! I've been sort of simmering around ideas for a guide/investigation of information the game gives that's seemingly contradictory/confusing. Just need some free time...

You haven't mentioned opposition instructions, i've found it important to set opposition instructions myself before every game, e.g strikers set to be shown onto weaker their foot and set midfielders to be closed down.

Do you set opposition instructions?

Back