Ancelotti worried by Chelsea form

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 3K
We've been coping without Rooney and Valencia pretty much all season. They were our best players last season with the goals they both scored and assisted. Yet we're still top of the league. Last season we had 1 fit defender for about a month, and we still only missed out on the title by 1 point.

don't really think Valencia is a 100% key player though :S

don't really think Valencia is a 100% key player though :S

I agree. We have Lampard, Drogba, Essien, Malouda and Anelka who are all key to our attack. Lampard and Essien injuries aren't excuses as we've coped without them, it's everyone else playing very poorly at the same time. When Rooney wasn't on form Berbatov stepped up,.

As a United fan, i am very happy........poor chelsea ha ha ha

Arsenal have coped pretty well without Fab recently, and if your gonna complain about driving force behind your attack we had RVP out most of last season but 3rd in the league wasn't a bad finish. (reminding you that we also had Fab out for awhile as well and Song).

We don't miss Lampard. We haven't noticed his absence until about a month ago. We coped without him, there is no reason why we can't do this until he's back.

Saying this, he's our only creative midfielder, and we need to sign another in January.

Lampard helps us keep hold of the ball and create attackes making us dominate games, thats why we have missed him. I think Lampard is a bigger miss to Chelsea then what say Rooney is to Utd or RVP is to Arsenal etc.

The point is that Chelsea need someone to fill Lampard's shoes slightly when he's injured, United have Berbatov, Macheda, Owen, Hernandez if Rooney's out, Chelsea don't have a back up for Lampard

It would be very difficult for Chelsea to find a backup for Lampard that could be almost equal. A player good enough to able to do Lampard's job when he is injured won't be satisfied with sitting on the bench most of the time when Lampard is fit

It would be very difficult for Chelsea to find a backup for Lampard that could be almost equal. A player good enough to able to do Lampard's job when he is injured won't be satisfied with sitting on the bench most of the time when Lampard is fit

Thank you very much for pointing out what i tried to say yesterday.

I know its not exactly easy to uncover an amazing gem, but if Chelsea actually invested in young good players they may find themselves a Lampard Mark 2 who they could nurture instead of buying someone to sit on the bench

I know its not exactly easy to uncover an amazing gem, but if Chelsea actually invested in young good players they may find themselves a Lampard Mark 2 who they could nurture instead of buying someone to sit on the bench

How do you know how good our youngsters will turn out?? Also i believe Lampard is a type of player you cant replace, i believe for Chelsea he is a one off.

Last edited:

So how come every other top club has managed it? How come Arsenal, Spurs, United, City have all managed it? Arsenal have Wilshere or Ramsey to slot right in. Spurs have Kranjcar. United have Anderson, Carrick etc. City have Milner. How come Chelsea, the Champions of England let me remind you, how come they have no backup for an ageing midfielder?

I'm not saying the backup has to be almost equal, I'm saying they have to be similar in terms of play and competent enough to fill their role. Ramsey isn't as good as Fabregas, but he's definitely Prem standard. Likewise Kranjcar, etc. The closest Chelsea have come to having a backup for Lampard is McEachran, who yes has talent, but is inexperienced and is being rather thrown in at the deep end, for all his talent. Add to that the fact that, for me and others, the jury is still out on how good McEachran actually is, and you have a problem, a big Lampard-shaped problem.

So how come every other top club has managed it? How come Arsenal, Spurs, United, City have all managed it? Arsenal have Wilshere or Ramsey to slot right in. Spurs have Kranjcar. United have Anderson, Carrick etc. City have Milner. How come Chelsea, the Champions of England let me remind you, how come they have no backup for an ageing midfielder?

I'm not saying the backup has to be almost equal, I'm saying they have to be similar in terms of play and competent enough to fill their role. Ramsey isn't as good as Fabregas, but he's definitely Prem standard. Likewise Kranjcar, etc. The closest Chelsea have come to having a backup for Lampard is McEachran, who yes has talent, but is inexperienced and is being rather thrown in at the deep end, for all his talent. Add to that the fact that, for me and others, the jury is still out on how good McEachran actually is, and you have a problem, a big Lampard-shaped problem.

Not only the midfield, but the entire team, IMO

Not only the midfield, but the entire team, IMO

Not entirely fair. Ivanovic is a top, top class backup for the central pair and right-back, and Zhirkov's a very good backup for Cole. Their defence is more or less sorted. Besides, that's not really the argument. CJACKO reckons Lampard's absence is the root of the problem, rather than lack of squad depth as a whole.

Last edited:
Not entirely fair. Ivanovic is a top, top class backup for the central pair and right-back, and Zhirkov's a very good backup for Cole. Their defence is more or less sorted. Besides, that's not really the argument. CJACKO reckons Lampard's absence is the root of the problem, rather than lack of squad depth as a whole.

What about the attack ? Anelka, Drogba, Malouda, all in their thirties, Roman has to invest ..

The general idea was that if we got an injury in the centre of the park we would have Yossi Benayoun and Ramires to come in for us. Seeing as Lampard and also Yossi are out that only leaves Ramires as the only high profile (sort of) player to come in. Which then leaves the young lad McEachran on the bench. Zhrikov has also played most of his games in a Chelsea shirt as a central midfielder but he is also out injured.

Don't really know what people expect us to do. Making a thing out of nothing.

What about the attack ? Anelka, Drogba, Malouda, all in their thirties, Roman has to invest ..

Kalou, Sturridge, Zhirkov, possibly Kakuta. Kalou's a competent player, Sturridge is young and decent (though personally I don't rate him, his pace can cause anyone trouble) Zhirkov is a good, versatile player and Kakuta, whilst in my eyes not yet Prem standard, can fill in for a couple of matches. As for a striker, though, I agree with you, unless Borini turns out to be quality.

The general idea was that if we got an injury in the centre of the park we would have Yossi Benayoun and Ramires to come in for us. Seeing as Lampard and also Yossi are out that only leaves Ramires as the only high profile (sort of) player to come in. Which then leaves the young lad McEachran on the bench. Zhrikov has also played most of his games in a Chelsea shirt as a central midfielder but he is also out injured.

Don't really know what people expect us to do. Making a thing out of nothing.

Right, okay. I'll give you Yossi, fair enough. But Ramires? Hardly a creative, thoughtful attacking player. He's more of a dynamic box-to-boxer, something which admittedly Lampard is accomplished at, but Ramires fails on two counts. One, Lampard is Chelsea's main attacking outlet: much of their play flows through him. Ramires has neither the passing nor the vision to perform like this. Two, he's far more defensively minded than Lampard, more of an Essien.

As I said, you need like-for-likes to fill gaps. You rightly mentioned Benayoun, and I will admit I had forgotten about him. However, my point still stands: your replacement for your vitally important 32 year old central midfielder, a 30 year old, is crocked. With Arsenal, this'd be fine: Nasri, Wilshere, Ramsey, Rosicky, Arshavin all fill this role with ease. Manchester United have Scholes, Anderson, Carrick; ****, even Park, Giggs and Gibson.

Also, your point about Zhirkov is rather illustrating my point. When you're resorting to playing a left back/winger in central midfield, things are badly wrong. What I expect Chelsea to do is buy a decent backup. Someone of decent stock, fairly young and with good potential, someone of the Renato Augusto mould, perhaps?

Kalou, Sturridge, Zhirkov, possibly Kakuta. Kalou's a competent player, Sturridge is young and decent (though personally I don't rate him, his pace can cause anyone trouble) Zhirkov is a good, versatile player and Kakuta, whilst in my eyes not yet Prem standard, can fill in for a couple of matches. As for a striker, though, I agree with you, unless Borini turns out to be quality.

TBH, I don't think Sturridge or Borini are Chelsea quality, especially kalou. Zhirkov can fill in the blank, and kalou, who I think has been improving. He has to invest, sooner or later

TBH, I don't think Sturridge or Borini are Chelsea quality, especially kalou. Zhirkov can fill in the blank, and kalou, who I think has been improving. He has to invest, sooner or later

Kalou's good backup at very least, he can definitely hack it in the Prem. Zhirkov's a quality operator too. Sturridge I agree on, but Borini is too early to tell. Either way, you're right about the striker position. Drogba has, what, another two years left at the top? At most? Anelka will soon lose his main asset, his pace, and become a bit like what Owen is now. They need quality in, and they'll need it soonish.

Its mostly down to Ray going.. why oh why did they let him go, something kicked off behind the scenes and now Carlo is struggling without a good asst (i like Carlo just an opinion). Arneson (sp) has gone/going at the end of the season.
These fans saying its because were missing Lamps are wrong, obviously we miss lamps but not the extent that we lose without him.

Back