Andrew Flintoff Retires

Ha! And yet you're a football fan? I don't see Freddie going out and sleeping with prostitutes, or indeed a teammate's wife.

Cricket is a sport for the patient, the cultured, the honourable, the skilful. If you don't like it, then far enough, but why criticise a sport that is amongst the most popular in the world for no reason? I'm sick and tired of all the people mocking cricket. Keep it to yourself, just don't comment on a thread about cricket. Let cricket fans enjoy their sport whilst football fans watch their hair gelled prima donnas throw themselves to the floor and whine at a ref.

Your lack of cricketing knowledge truly shows.

Although Fred wasn't a cricketer to be considered one of the all-time greats on a par with Sobers, that is only because of his injuries. His stats tell very little about him Watching Flintoff power in was one of the greatest sights in world cricket over the past years or indeed ever.

Will be missed. A legend of English cricket.

Sore spot old chap? It wasn't my intention to troll and I do not want to spam the thread, perhaps my comments were best left out.

If you wish to debate the matter we can do so via PM. :)

apologies

This ones for GodCubed- cricket is gay, seriously, it's completely gay.

But there's no need to be off-topic here |)

R.I.P Freddy and all that see you on Sky1 for some other **** that you are probably being overpaid for.

srsly Kris, You can not be srs, this man was an Idol of England for a long time. He has played through a massive hangover more times then i can count. To disregard Freddie shows a real lack of class.

Thought I'd just correct that one for you Scott.

Made his money now hasn't he, doesn't need to work hard to get fit and I don't think he could be bothered either. (Thats just my opinion I don't know hardly anything about cricket and I don't know him personally but I got that impressive from interviews I've seen)

Crazy though how 3 years ago all people used to talk about were Him and Pieterson and now both of them aren't playing we are still doing well and people have replaced them lol. Imagen how England football would cope if like Rooney and Gerrard for example couldn't play. It would hit us hard.

But there's no need to be off-topic here |)

R.I.P Freddy and all that see you on Sky1 for some other **** that you are probably being overpaid for.

Thought I'd just correct that one for you Scott.
Gay? Seriously? No need for that. The way the word 'gay' is used so loosely annoys and frustrates me. Please don't use it as a derogative term.
Sorry for the off-topic.

I don't particulary watch cricket, often. But I remember he's one of the only cricketers I could name, and Graeme Onion ;), We've played it in school. Tiring stuff, wish him the best.

Sore spot old chap? It wasn't my intention to troll and I do not want to spam the thread, perhaps my comments were best left out.

If you wish to debate the matter we can do so via PM. :)

apologies

Heh, yeah, it is a bit. Sorry, thanks for responding in a mature way.

As Ride the Walrus said, gay is overused and homophobic. I tend not to listen to anyone that labels anything they don't like as "gay". I like cricket, you don't, each to their own, but there's absolutely no need to bring sexuality into it.

This thread is about Freddie Flintoff, not your views on cricket.

If you don't appreciate either, you can ****** off.

Such a shame.
We will never see the 2nd greatest all-rounder this country has ever produced play again :'(

I like to play cricket, rather than watch it.

But one fact that I do know is that Flintoff is a legend in cricket and its sad to see him go.

A true idol within the historic sport.

Here's a statistical analysis of Flintoff's career. Don't worry, it warns beforehand that Flintoff's story can't be told by numbers alone.
http://www.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/422049.html

Numbers can never do full justice to Andrew Flintoff: a Test career which fetches 3845 runs at an average of 31.77, and 226 wickets at a touch under 33 will do nicely for most players, but from a player touted as one of the best allrounders of this era, these are somewhat underwhelming. These stats support Peter Roebuck's assertion - and Flintoff's own statements - that his career has been more about competence and stout-hearted performances than about sustained out-and-out greatness.

It's impossible to talk about Flintoff without bringing Ian Botham into the picture. Both were flamboyant, capable of changing the course of a game with bat and ball, and both relished the challenges of an Ashes contest more than most. Botham had the better average as batsman and bowler, scoring more than 33 runs per dismissal and conceding less than 29 per wicket. However, the difference was much starker in terms of their abilities to put in major performances: Botham had 12 centuries and an incredible 27 five-wicket hauls, compared to just five and three for Flintoff. Botham also had twice the number of Man-of-the-Match awards - 12 to six.
Both enjoyed the Australian challenge - exactly half of those awards for them came against Australia. Botham's batting average dropped a bit against them, but it was still higher than his bowling average.
Most of the stats below favour Botham, but one area in which Flintoff clearly stole a march was in performances against the leading team of the era. In Botham's case, that team was undoubtedly West Indies, and Botham undoubtedly struggled against them. In 20 Tests, he didn't score a single century - his highest being 81 - and his 61 wickets came at a relatively high average of more than 35. He did win one match award, at Lord's in 1984, for scores of 30 and 81 and eight wickets in the first innings, though he leaked 117 off 20.1 wicketless overs in the second innings as West Indies chased down a target of 344 losing only one wicket.
On the other hand, Flintoff has done much better against the top team of his era, though he did lead the team to a rather sorry 5-0 thrashing in 2006-07.

Flintoff's bowling average against Australia are good enough to win him fourth spot among bowlers who've taken at least 25 Test wickets against them since 2000. Only Dale Steyn, Harbhajan Singh and Muttiah Muralitharan have done better, while two other high-class spinners, Anil Kumble and Daniel Vettori, have both been pushed back. Flintoff, though, is the only one among the top seven not to have a ten-wicket haul against them.

As an aside, a footballer once told me that my game (Badminton) didn't require as much physical intensity and I just needed to be quick and agile. I invited him for a best of 3 game of badminton (11 points only). By the time we had finished, he was positively begging for some glucose. Never judge a game that you haven't played competently.