xdannyw92

Reaction score
The rays of sun shone through the curtains in the flat. It was another day on the dole for Robert. He flicked on the tele, there was no surprise to see the Jeremy Kyle show on. Last nights 'Evening Chronicle' was sitting on the table next to last night's cuppa. Rob has never had a chance to look at the paper last night so sat down and began reading the sports section. The main story was the signing of Demba Ba at Rob's beloved Newcastle United. He read the story full of intrigue, it took him back to the days when Rob turned 15 and he was offered a place at Newcastle's academy. He broke into the first team to make one appearance. He came on in the 62nd minute in an FA Cup match against Wimbledon, the old crazy gang. Newcastle won the match 2-1, Rob's 30 minute stint on the left wing wasn't the most memorable one and he failed to make another appearance for the club and his contract was terminated with the club at the age of 19, having left school without any qualifications.

Rob pursued his career and found himself at Darlington. Rob made over 50 appearances for the Quakers but his career was ended after a serious injury to his left knee. Rob never played again, but held a scout job at local non-league side Gateshead. After spending 2 years at the club he left due to an ongoing feud with manager Ian Bogie.

Two years on Rob Armstrong, found himself the wrong side of 40 and without a job. Rob was scouring through the paper when a small story caught his eye. 'Bogie leaves The Tynesiders'. "Good riddance," Rob muttered to himself, throwing the paper in the bin. He sat back and flicked over to Sky Sports News to hear more about the Demba Ba transfer story.

It wasn't long after the phone rang. Rob slowly got up, he can still feel the pain in his left knee that left him almost wheelchair-bound. "Hello?" said Rob answering the phone.

"Hello is that a mister Robert Armstrong?", a rough-sounding, Geordie man asked.

"Yes it is, who is this?"

"Hi Rob, it's Graham Wood, do you remember me?" Suddenly Rob shot up in his seat. He knew that name, Graham Wood is the chairman at Gateshead FC, he always got along with Rob despite not really enjoying his job. "Hello Rob, you there?"

"Yes, sorry Graham, of course I remember you. I heard 'bout Ian, what's up? You ain't giving me the job are you?" Rob joked.

"Well, you see," Graham laughed, "I am, that's if your interested." Rob froze in his seat. He had only ever managed a boys team up the road, and he couldn't even hold that up as a job.

"Erm, yeah I am. I would love to Graham. You want me to come down to the club?"

"Thats great news, would you come down for about 3 o'clock?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th July 2012, The International Stadium, Gateshead

The buzz of the small press room was quite odd. Rob found a very surreal feeling about the place. Graham broke the silence, "I am proud to announce that, after the departure of Ian Bogie, Robert Armstrong will be the new manager of Gateshead FC. I have worked with Rob before and we have a good understanding of each other and the board is sure that Rob will lead this club to greater things in the future."

The rest of the conference was a blur to Rob, he was still dazed by the flashing cameras and the strange questions by journalists. A normal day has turned into the start of something new for Robert Armstrong.