Another reason this game is dead for this season...

marcMCFC1986

Reaction score
So, we all know about the ME problems - but here is another reason SI should be giving out partial refunds, or huge discounts on next years game:

I have been looking forward to signing either/both Erling Haaland or Lautaro Martinez to Man City. Haaland has now signed for Dortmund IRL - so this opportunity has now passed. Even if they get the Match Engine patch released before the January Transfer Updated Database, it'll be in my mind that Haaland has already signed for somebody else - so it won't feel right to be signing him.

May just be me, but I have a way of playing this game - and have since Championship Manager 2 - and this seasons is seriously done for me now that one of the two players I was looking forward to signing is gone!

If they don't offer discounts to players - or just make the game much much cheaper next season - I will absolutely not be buying it!

So start with the default database.
This a 100% you don't have to play with the latest database updates, and the match engine will still be the latest version. There's some alternatives to Haaland to! And while on the face of it not as a good, still have plenty of goals in them.

For me, there's two Nigerian's I always go after the first season, David Okereke and Victor Osimhen.

1578092103883.png

1578092165993.png

Neither had bad careers in my long term save.

So start with the default database.

You're missing the point. I said even if they fix the Match Engine BEFORE the January Transfer Database is released (i.e. Whilst using the original database), I will still know that it is out of date and that Haaland wouldn't realistically be available for me to buy.

In short, it should have been working from release day - and so is totally unacceptable. I really hope the entire management team get sacked for letting this happen.

This a 100% you don't have to play with the latest database updates, and the match engine will still be the latest version. There's some alternatives to Haaland to! And while on the face of it not as a good, still have plenty of goals in them.

For me, there's two Nigerian's I always go after the first season, David Okereke and Victor Osimhen.

View attachment 290813
View attachment 290862

Neither had bad careers in my long term save.

Respectfully, I wouldn't consider 7 goals in a season as 'plenty of goals'. I'm a Man City fan, and so would expect a minimum of 25 goals from my strikers - and Victor Osimhen or David Okereke aren't going to perform any better than Sergio Aguero.

You're missing the point. I said even if they fix the Match Engine BEFORE the January Transfer Database is released (i.e. Whilst using the original database), I will still know that it is out of date and that Haaland wouldn't realistically be available for me to buy.

In short, it should have been working from release day - and so is totally unacceptable. I really hope the entire management team get sacked for letting this happen.

Respectfully, I wouldn't consider 7 goals in a season as 'plenty of goals'. I'm a Man City fan, and so would expect a minimum of 25 goals from my strikers - and Victor Osimhen or David Okereke aren't going to perform any better than Sergio Aguero.
You'll just have to splash out on Harry Kane then. Also both Okere and Osimhen had a 20 goal season, I reckon a human manager would have got better consistency out of them.

Choice is yours bud but let's refrain from saying anyone should be sacked, it won't happen.

And Haaland could always become unsettled after a season plus being Man City you have the pulling power and funds.

Don't let it dishearten you.

Find another forward to sign, it's not like they are in short supply. Realism also means you don't always get the signings you want. I haven't heard any real-life managers quitting because they missed out on Haaland, they acknowledge the situation and shift their attention to other targets.

While I understand the sentiment of not getting to play with your desired squad in a flawless Match Engine, asking for a refund or discount seems a tad over the top.

The game is playable and while it's arguably not perfect, the main issue seems to be that it's not corresponding with what you want it to be. There are steps to take to remedy most of your issues, barring the realism-bit, which is your own internal one.

I hope you continue playing and that you can find joy in fiddling around in FM20, even if it is without Haaland.

Find another forward to sign, it's not like they are in short supply. Realism also means you don't always get the signings you want. I haven't heard any real-life managers quitting because they missed out on Haaland, they acknowledge the situation and shift their attention to other targets.

While I understand the sentiment of not getting to play with your desired squad in a flawless Match Engine, asking for a refund or discount seems a tad over the top.

The game is playable and while it's arguably not perfect, the main issue seems to be that it's not corresponding with what you want it to be. There are steps to take to remedy most of your issues, barring the realism-bit, which is your own internal one.

I hope you continue playing and that you can find joy in fiddling around in FM20, even if it is without Haaland.

Thanks for your reply.

As I've posted in another forum before, it is completely unplayable for me. As Man City manager, you only need 3 or 4 bad results and the squad are on your back and your neck is on the line - I've done 4 saves so far, and not made it to the end of the season once. These are all whilst using downloaded tactics that others claim to be having great success with. So, I simply cannot play it - if my strikers can't score goals, and the AI can, then what is the point. It's like trying to play Call of Duty without a gun!!

Thanks for your reply.

As I've posted in another forum before, it is completely unplayable for me. As Man City manager, you only need 3 or 4 bad results and the squad are on your back and your neck is on the line - I've done 4 saves so far, and not made it to the end of the season once. These are all whilst using downloaded tactics that others claim to be having great success with. So, I simply cannot play it - if my strikers can't score goals, and the AI can, then what is the point. It's like trying to play Call of Duty without a gun!!
You could always go an approach that I'm a huge fan of, and maybe Nom de Guerre is to (maybe just maybe!), which is Strikerless. Man City easily have the players for it.

just a pity you can roll back and play the beta match engine,yeah i know it had many faults but its better then the current one.

Trust me, Haaland misses 5 one-on-ones every match, just like all the other top forwards!!

Oh I'm sure he does - I just mean I wanted to sign him on a game that actually works!
You could always go an approach that I'm a huge fan of, and maybe Nom de Guerre is to (maybe just maybe!), which is Strikerless. Man City easily have the players for it.

I know you're trying to help - and I appreciate it. But again, for realisms sake, why on earth would I play without a striker when I have Sergio Aguero there - and can sign virtually any striker I want?

The game should just work properly before release. Simple as that!

just a pity you can roll back and play the beta match engine,yeah i know it had many faults but its better then the current one.

You can somewhat roll back if you have the beta files but honestly even with the flaws now still better than it was. When my Mezzala's were just scoring worldies constantly from outside the box.

Oh I'm sure he does - I just mean I wanted to sign him on a game that actually works!

I know you're trying to help - and I appreciate it. But again, for realisms sake, why on earth would I play without a striker when I have Sergio Aguero there - and can sign virtually any striker I want?

The game should just work properly before release. Simple as that!

It is, what it is. There's no competition for them and Aguero makes a great AMC! Can't really blame Haaland being transferred on SI though, at least there's options for you.

If you really want to vent though, use this https://fm-base.co.uk/threads/fm20-frustration-and-rage-thread.161896/ tis what it's there for.