[Another...] Will this Computer run FM fast?

connors

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I need to upgrade and looking to future proof my next PC purchase.
I normally only upgrade every 5 years+

This is the PC which has caught my eye.
https://www.xtremcomputer.com/product/new-1/

• Product Line: Desktop PC GIGABYTE
  • Model: Desktop PC i5 4460
  • MPN: MSI B85M-E45
  • Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
  • Intel i5 4460 Dual Core CPU
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Hard Drive Capacity: 240Gb SSD & 1Tb Hard
  • Windows 7 Pro
  • Graphics Integrated Intel HD 4600
There is the option to upgrade various parts - which would make the biggest difference to how fast the game runs?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yeah it would run FM absolutely fine (several leagues and large player database) seems a decent price too (might want to double-check its legit, not heard anything about this company before). Processor makes the biggest difference to FM performance the i5-4690k might give you 10-20% better performance but anything above that would be completely negligible. If you want to view matches in 3D a low-end dedicated graphics card would help.

It might be better to get the 6th gen cpu (slightly faster, more efficient and works with DDR4 ram, something like this is available on ebay:
Intel i5 6500 Quad Core 3.60GHz 8GB 240GB SSD Office Desktop PC BN | eBay
The seller has lots of other configurations...

Personally i would go with a i7 Processor. It costs a fair bit more but for future proofing your computer i would say that is the main thing you need to add.

I build computers for a living, if you want help at all, add me on steam : Joeycookson

I can help you build one which will be cheaper and better Imo.

It loos a solid piece for playing FM. If you want to watch the matches in 3d I would add a dedicated graphics card.
Have you considered a self build though, you could most likely make it for much cheaper and also have the choice to customise it :)

Dont get an i7, it will have little to no added benefit for fm. And there is no such thing as futureproofing a PC :)

i7 is as close you can get as far as future proofing goes in general. Graphics cards are released nearly monthly so getting as good as you can afford right now is your best bet. But an i7 will last you years and will be good for years. The i5 and the i3 just isn't as good at all in my opinion. Granted yes it won't make much difference in football manager but the overall performance of your computer will be better getting an i7. I also suggest installing your OS on a SSD drive and using a separate HDD for all of your files. My computer boots up ready to play games and load any app within 15 seconds. It's great :)

Paying the extra for an i7 over a very capable i5 is not "future proofing" and if anything it is making a build way more expensive for very little reward. The i5 6500 does out perform the 4460 slightly and is a little newer but both are great value and both will run FM16 very fast and play all your matches in 3D perfectly fine.

If you're looking for something to run great now then I would check out the one Jimmeh36 posted. At least in the future you can upgrade to a better Motherboard in the future and keep a solid i5 CPU that supports DDR4 or add a graphics card, upgrade to a newer gen i5 or i7 in the future. If you really want to future proof then the worst thing you can do is pay over the odds for processing power on a system you will not be able to do much upgrading to in 3 more years time.

Last edited:
Agree with RichTUK, i5 6500 is your best option (because its newer and has some additional features over gen 5 e.g. DDR4) but an i5 4400 or i5 4690 are also solid choices. The i7 will have no benefit for FM and little (if any) benefit to overall performance - as long as you have the OS on a SSD you will be fine.

But my point is don't buy an i7 for a huge amount more money and think you are "future proofing", stick with a strong i5 which will work great if you are mainly playing FM16 and then in the future you can throw in an i7 or a nice shiny graphics card.

Last edited:
At the end of the day i7 Is better than i5 but is not needed for FM.1

Or you can just build your own and make something nicer with enough change to head to a coffee shop to fuel up half way through your build. Granted it doesnt come with windows but if you already have a legit copy laying around from the PC you have now then theres no need to buy it again.

View attachment 187085