Any decent Space Combat games for laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Having a break from FM 11, and for some reason fancy a space combat sim but struggling to decide what to get. Apparently, the X series is meant to be good, as is Freelancer (but can't locate that at the mo). Any recommendations please? (Already have Battlefront series, and not Eve online-rather singleplayer offline)

Processor: Intel Celeron Dual Core T3100 1.9 ghz
RAM 3GB
Win 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
Memory 3072MB DDR2 RAM
Graphics Integrated Intel Mobile 4 Series
Direct X 10
Hard Drive 320GB

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
Freespace 2, amazing game

Downloaded that earlier and couldn't get it too work. Had to find the launcher as had to do update it to newest version, but wasn't there-took 2 hours to download aswell :mad:. Really wanted to play it as it sounded like my sort of game

ive got it to work before, will have a look around and let you know, becuase its really really good

X3: Reunion is an amazingly in-depth, complex game. I only recommend it if you've got a lot of time to kill to learn it properly. You'll also need to get to grips with the piloting, which isn't as simplistic as you expect from most games.

are there any where you control a ship? I always thought that would be cool, would rather not fly around in a single seat "jet"

are there any where you control a ship? I always thought that would be cool, would rather not fly around in a single seat "jet"
yeah i know what you mean. commanding a proper cruiser would be ace, yet to come across a game that features it though :S

For commanding a battleship/fleets try some older games
Homeworld 2 (more of an RTS)
Sins of a Solar Empire (more of an RTS)

For a more action oriented game
Macross Voxp (Japanese but there's a free translation patch somewhere. It's ancient but the physics are still amazing story mode is ok and great to play vs mode. Also transforming robots. Apparently still popular in Japan)
Star trek: Bridge Commander
Failing that, the old star wars games are still great fun to play Star wars: Tie Fighter, X-wing alliance, Rogue squadron, The Wing Commander series are all still awesome to play. Privateer is a game I still play as well as homeworld 2

yeah i know what you mean. commanding a proper cruiser would be ace, yet to come across a game that features it though :S

In X3, you can control massive cruiser ships, once acquired.

x3reunion_ss(11).jpg

I am very tempted to re-install it on my desktop, but the game is so difficult to get to grips with again.

oh my days, that has just made the day for the geek side of me. gonna have to get hold of this. How difficult is it to get to grips with compared to any realistic flight sim?

The flight controls are quite frustrating as a beginner. It isn't a simple game, and you'll end up getting destroyed by even the smallest pirate raiders if you don't have at least basic understanding of the controls.

I recommend reading up about it, or putting in a decent shift to practice before you leave a 'friendly' home world.

As winfield said, Sins of a Solar Empire and Homeworld 2 are brilliant RTS space games if you into that type of gameplay.
I would also suggest Nexus the Jupiter Incident. Played it ages ago and loved it to bits. It is another RTS but with less ships and more control then Homeworld 2 and Soase.

The flight controls are quite frustrating as a beginner. It isn't a simple game, and you'll end up getting destroyed by even the smallest pirate raiders if you don't have at least basic understanding of the controls.

I recommend reading up about it, or putting in a decent shift to practice before you leave a 'friendly' home world.
so its difficult, complex and very extensive, and has cruisers; sounds perfect, cheers. will do some reading on it

Dead Space or would you not really class that as a space game?

just got online (finally) and seen the recommendations-thanks for tips guys. Will keep this open for a day or so-definately wanting to check out Freespace 2 as I've heard nothing but great things about it.
I did a Yougamers test for Dead Space and it wouldn't work on laptop. Think it was a graphics thing. And after seeing the screenshot for X3, will be checkin that out too. some of the X games only cost bout £3.50 on steam which can't be a bad thing.
Thanks again for the recommendations

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:54 PM ----------

Was gonna bump this thread a little bit, but thanks to Mike recommending Freespace 2, I don't need to. Quite frankly, a pretty awesome game. Thanks for other reccs too-I will be checking them out at some point during the week/weekend.
Cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.