Any followers of the A-League here?

Davey Jones

Reaction score
Any followers of the A-League here?

I support Wellington Phoenix and have supported them since the birth of the club.

Sydney FC fan here mate, looking forward to the new season! :)

I didn't watch the game last night but Phoenix put 3 past you guys :p. Shame it was only pre-season

I didn't watch the game last night but Phoenix put 3 past you guys :p. Shame it was only pre-season

I didnt see it either thankfully! :p

Will be hoping for better then that when the season proper kicks off. Seen much of the FFA Cup? Ive only seen bits & pieces but am loving seeing the lesser likes mix it with the A-League clubs. For the most part, have given a good account of themselves.

Surprise I haven't heard much about FFA Cup in NZ apart from Phoenix getting thrashed and knocked out. But yea its good to see smaller clubs doing well. We love underdogs don't we?

I just read the strangest transfer rumour over on football365. Apparently Manchester City are considering a "shock" move for Aussie midfielder, Luke Brattan come January!

Don't think "shock" would begin to describe that move, I actually double checked the date to make sure April fool's hadn't snuck up on me! :p

If they did go for him then his talent is going to be wasted on that cold bench really. I see he is still on free, whats going on with him? I am sure lots of club would have snapped him up now.

If they did go for him then his talent is going to be wasted on that cold bench really. I see he is still on free, whats going on with him? I am sure lots of club would have snapped him up now.

I have no idea to be honest. You'd think, at the very least, A-League clubs would be knocking his door down to get him in but this is the first I'd heard of him in quite a while. Strange just isnt the word!

Been looking at a few articles about him recently, he left due a pay dispute at Roar and seems to be hoping one of the BPL clubs will take him on (Money wise probably) after Rodgers( yes Brendan Rodgers) talked him up in pre-season. Think he needs to set his sights lower and find regular football if he wants to continue being in the international team.

Yeah, i knew he left after the Roar couldnt pay him or something like that & had expected to hear he was signing for Melbourne City or someone the next day :p

Wouldnt have surprised me at all if he turned up at a Championship side but Man City?! Unless its an underhanded way around the salary cap for Man City to sign him & then loan him to Melbourne wage free???

A-League starts in two weeks time, getting excited?!

You know it! Reckon the Victory will again be the team to beat, even with Archie's injury. Tbh, I'm just glad Sydney FC are competitive again :p

And I will be just glad that there is something else on apart from rugby!

And I will be just glad that there is something else on apart from rugby!

I used to be a die hard rugby league follower, nowdays I struggle to see what I ever saw in the game! Haven't been able to sit through a full game in years.

Feel sorry for the Phoenix really, they are in a tough spot. Even if they win the league they cant play in Asia because New Zealand is an Oceanic nation.

I'm a long time advocate of abolishing Oceania & having the nations absorbed into Asia or whatever their closest "genuine" federation would be. Would be better for the entire region & allow the famous New Zealand vs Australia rivalry to once again have real meaning. :)

Me neither, its rugby that, rugby there etc on news, internet, work. Drives me insane!

I know Phoenix are in a spot due to stupid Oceania nation rules, honestly I rather have us go join Asia and actually improve as a nation than continuously win meaningless games against poor opposition on **** surfaces(No offence Islanders). We can't even schedule meaningful games against quality teams to allow improvement of players and blood youngsters in tougher games because we are seen as inferior nation from a **** region despite our heroics at 2010 World Cup.

I mean Auckland City and Phoenix are great teams from NZ and its unfair that Phoenix can't even challenge Auckland in O-League or join NZ leagues with Australian ones in a tier based system of some sort.

It shouldn't be too much hassle for most of the Oceanic nations join Asia at all. And sure I would love us playing you guys again on a regular basis for internationals.

I'd be all for incorporating NZ sides, & sides from other Oceanic nations, into a tiered Australian system. Think it would be great. Auckland City in the A-League? Bring it on! Would only strengthen the competition.

At the moment though, Auckland are better off playing in NZ & getting their ticket to the club World Cup, where they have been mighty impressive I must add, rather then playing in a competition that offers them no incentive to succeed.

Its a ridiculous situation & that's without discussing the point of having the National team playing in cow paddocks (no offence) beating tiny nations by 15 goals.

Only if the muppets in the FIFA could listen to us, of course Auckland are better off in the NZ league as the money they win at the Club World Champs flows back into NZ Football.

In other news who you reckon will win the league this season?
Got my money on Phoenix but realistically will be Victory again.

Only if the muppets in the FIFA could listen to us, of course Auckland are better off in the NZ league as the money they win at the Club World Champs flows back into NZ Football.

In other news who you reckon will win the league this season?
Got my money on Phoenix but realistically will be Victory again.

Yeah, like you, I will be hoping Sydney can do it but realistically I think the Victory are favourites. :S

You never know though, not often a team goes back to back so there I hope :)

Money is on the Phoenix as per usual. It's a tough spot for Wellington. They aren't allowed to enter a youth team in the a league either so they play their youth in the nzfc (is it still called that) but they can't play any registerred players needing match fitness or coming back from injuries due to the nzfc rules.

I live in Perth so always look forward to the Phoenix coming to town.

Season kicks off tonight, Roar vs Wanderers. Who are we tipping in this one?

I gotta go with the Wanderers i think, with no confidence though...