schaap9495

Reaction score
I'm not looking for anything revolutionary or match-breaking, but I've tried for many months now to create or download a consistent, structured, effective tactic that relies on fast-counters, a deep defensive line, and gives my players decent match ratings as well. It seems impossible this year to get a tactic that achieves these three things.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I constantly see Simeone, Mourinho, and Marcelino being successful with their relatively defensive tactics in each of my saves and it annoys me that I can't recreate their success.

Ideally, I'd prefer the formation to be a 442, but at this point, I'm up for anything.

Someone more familiar with available downloadable tactics can probably suggest something along the lines. But in regard to trying to create something... what have you tried? Its entirely possible to make a defensive, tight tactic on FM18. You just have to keep the end target in mind. What I mean by that is that its common to see people wonder why their tactic doesn't work that great defensively, and when they post it, there is no cover, players bombing forward on attacking duty, etc.

So a few thoughts

-4-4-2 can work. And formation can work. But a 4-4-2 has some inherent weaknesses you need to keep in mind. You can get outnumbered in midfield quite easily. There are large spaces in a "normal" 4-4-2. A better variation for a defensive tactic might be the deep 4-4-2, with the two central mids as DM like Simeone. I personally really like the 4-1-4-1 because it keeps one more player back
-playing a counter game needs to be built around the idea of keeping players deep. You need players who will work hard and be determined, not be looking to getting forward ASAP. Its tough to accommodate playmakers and playmaking roles, unless they are well rounded players who can still contribute defensively.
-people often look to get their fullbacks and wingers attacking in a defensive-minded formation. That's kinda counter to the whole idea. They will get forward when a counter-attack is triggered, so you are telling them what to do the rest of the time. Defensive fullbacks and defensive wingers can be really effective.

What @Bigpapa42 said.

4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-1-2-2-1, 4-5-1, a deep 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs, 1CM & an MR & ML. These are all excellent defensive formations for triggering counters. I'd keep your Attack Duties at no more than two.

There's a lot more I could say about counters but it might be more fun if you experiment yourself. Just try it, have fun.

I'm actually using a deep 4-3-2-1 in that form currently. LOVE the Segundo Volante role

Keep forgetting to mention - one upside to using a 4-4-2 is that you have two players forward when a counter is triggered, which creates more options. But you want roles and need players who are going to work off the ball. Stationary target men and traditional poachers might not help tons, and that can be a touch problematic.

A big key to remember is that counter attacks are a triggered "event". When one occurs, players will look to get forward quickly in number. So your formation, roles, duties, TIs, etc, are how you want the team player otherwise. If counter attacking is the primary form of attack (which is valid but can backfire sometimes), then your balance should reflect that.

On counters.... pace kills. Other skills matter but a good player with pace can absolutely tear open opposition at time.

Thanks guys! I'll use these suggestions this weekend. Which mentality have you had the best success with so far? I've tried Attacking, Counter, and Defensive and so far it seems like an Attacking mentality has worked best for fast-paced counter attacks ironically.

Thanks guys! I'll use these suggestions this weekend. Which mentality have you had the best success with so far? I've tried Attacking, Counter, and Defensive and so far it seems like an Attacking mentality has worked best for fast-paced counter attacks ironically.

Counter attacks happen as a stand-alone event, so the mentality won't affect them when they happen. The mentality is what happens otherwise. Personally, I tend to go slower and more methodical. I like counter. But if you have speed, using a direct style in attack can be very effective.

Like @Bigpapa42 says counters are launched automatically. When this happens all of your instructions are void. Your Mentality, Shape etc are for the rest of the match when you're not countering, which is most of the time. That's not to say that you can't help your chances of achieving a counter. A bottom heavy formation will increase the chances that you'll trigger a counter. The question of Mentality.etc boils down to how you want to approach play when you kick off or when your keeper has the ball at the back or when you win the ball back but there isn't a counter on...how do you want your players to play then? If you want to put all your eggs in one basket and just wait for counters (which, as papa says can absolutely work but can also be risky) then play on a low mentality which means you'll take no risks at all. If you want a medium risk profile then go for Standard. If you want to get forward fast and aggressively then go Attack.

I play a fast transition style 4-4-2 with two AF up front but I do it on Standard/Flexible so that my Support duties don't over-commit.

I’ve had relative success using a 4231 Wide DM tactic.

GK -Defend
FB -Support
CD - Defend
Anchor Man -Defend
Segundo Volante - Support
Wingers - Support
Attacking Midfielder - Support
Deep Lying Forward - Attack

Counter Mentality and Flexible Shape

No OI’s or PI’s

Picked up a lot of 1-0 wins,and should provide a solid base to build on and add your own tweaks.

I've noticed there are a lot of different variations of 5-2-3 with wingbacks and three strikers. All of them seem relatively successful, but they also seem to concede a lot.

I downloaded three popular ones just for screenshots:

5vQ3aBU.png

JiHSVfD.png

mkqgBM3.png

I play this formation (albeit with different roles) on my current save and have experienced great results, however defensively we are absolutely hopeless. I've played three seasons: first one I conceded 70, second I conceded 57 and third I conceded 69. Offensively we were impressive but I'd honestly rather win 1-0 than 6-2.

Has anyone found a tactic anywhere that plays this formation, but is defensively sound? If so, please point me towards it so I can scour it for guidance.

Thanks.

Well, its not exactly a formation built to defend, is it? There is no midfield shield and the wingbacks are often going to be high up the pitch, so you are defending with the 3 central defenders. Look at Arsenal playing like this in reality - how defensively tight is it? You have, at absolute most, seven players back. You will always have 3 players high up the pitch. That's part of what makes it so effective in attack but also what means it is pretty much always going to have defensive problems.