WalkerRFC

Reaction score
FM16 TACTICAL EXPERTS:

I am imitating Mark Warburton's current playing style, formerly adopted by managers such as Guardiola. The ball starts on one side of the pitch, which is overloaded, leaving space on the other side of the pitch for a free player to be picked out and finish.

However, this style also dictates that we must have a lot of possession. In order to pick out the other player fast enough, will I need my tempo to be set normal/high? Or will this still occur on a lower tempo, whereby my defenders won't rush so much to get the ball up the pitch meaning more possession.

Also, what pitch dimensions will suit this style the best? I thought narrow to dictate possession, but then thought wide to isolate the wide man so he can be picked out for a pass to finish. Opinions?

WalkerRFC

I have never tried to create this switch flanks tactic in a possession based tactic, but I guess if you want it to happen from both sides as the game goes, then you need to have a relatively balanced tactic with enough people in front to dominate possession and use roles like Wide Target Man or Raumdeuter on your wide players and cross often and from deep. Mixed passing, normal tempo, encourage ppl to switch flanks with crosses in PPMs. Width I would use Balanced at most, cuz for possession you want to play shorter passing and you want to be more compact instead of leaving huge areas between your players.