Any strategy to choose penalty taker in a shootout?

tung72046

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post here.
I was playing with Barnsley and I signed Craig Gardner who has 19 penalty taking.
I choose him as my first choice penalty taker of course. Guess what
He missed all SIX penalties he took last season.
Four seasons in, in knockout competition, I played in 5 penalty shootout.
Once again, I lost all FIVE penalty shootout.
I move on my career to Liverpool this season
In a huge clash for the BPL title against Man United, 1st vs 2nd
Emre Can missed TWO penalties in 77th and 79th minute as the game ended 0:0
I just got knock out in the FA Cup against Everton and that is my fifth consecutive penalty shootout lost in this save
My team have 30 shots, 62% possession while Everton have 3 shots but my team somehow got beaten.
Maybe I have some bad luck playing FM but as this stage, I think this is getting ridiculous.
Guys, any idea what is the best order to play the penalty shootout? Should I pick the best penalty taker to take the first penalty or should I save him to the last penalty?

Happy FM Gaming for everyone. Cheers.

I look at Penalty Taking and Composure, but also pay attention to a player's personality. Putting a player at the penalty spot who is prone to cracking under pressure (which a penalty situation obviously is) is bad management. So I keep an eye on a player's report to see if there are any issues that coaches found and also during a match, looking at Body Language. If a player easily becomes nervous/complacent, it's not a player I want to take penalties. I need someone focused and composed.

Oh, and this is purely me, but I select the most composed player to take the 4th penalty and the 2nd most composed player to take the 5th. So in order of ranking by Composure (but also still decent penalty taking) it's 5th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd.

Last edited:
As WJ, except I'm too lazy to check personality. High penalty taking without high composure and finishing is not enough. I'll use a 12-12-12 over a player with 17 penalties but less than 10 in the other two.

I still have my doubts around Finishing. It's not supposed to be there, unless it's only there in case of a rebound. Penalty Taking is the accuracy modifier. Finishing does the same thing but in open play.