Any tips for winning away?

• Thread starter Thread starter louiscfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 3K

louiscfc

Reaction score
Perfect at home. Can hammer anyone but I just cannot win away. Tried going more defensive, tried using my home tactic and i've tried nearly everything but nothing works. I can beat Arsenal 4-0 at home and then go and lose to 20th place Burnley. I'm Chelsea so there's no excuse and its costing me the title atm. Only won 2 away games all season and i'm in January!!! Any tips?

Screenshots of tactics maybe and more detail about what exactly happens and what you do?

Like MANUMAD said there's a bit of information lacking here. Would like to know the following before I could comment:

- What formation?
- What kind of roles/mentalities do your players have?
- What kind of instructions have you set up?

One problem could be that your players are very eager to play high up the pitch and these teams play a big-ish pitch? I.e. you might be prone to long balls from interceptions, but we cannot tell for certain without some more info.

View attachment 305876View attachment 305875View attachment 305874View attachment 305873

These are the tactics. 1st tactic is what I use at home or away to smaller clubs (have tried it against a big club as well) and the second tactic I use away to bigger clubs.

Also, I've changed some of the TIs on the second tactic. Mentality is now set to control, with shorter passing selected and work ball into box selected.

And dont take team selection into consideration. That is not my normal team.

Last edited:
Do you watch the games? What detail level?

What are you noticing - what are the issues you see when playing away from home?

Do you watch the games? What detail level?

What are you noticing - what are the issues you see when playing away from home?

I usually watch Key or extended and then study the match analysis and compare it to other games. Regarding the goals i'm conceding, there's no trend. Individual mistakes, rebounds, ricochets etc. I then go chasing the game, committing men forward and may concede when I get caught on the counter attack.
One thing I do notice is my chance creation is no way near as high as it is at home and my chance conversion rate away is abysmal. Missing easy chances, woodwork etc. Maybe this is due to nerves, lack of composure and the mentality of the players (fair weathered players who cannot play in tough matches) but im not sure.
I dropped points away at Burnley in one of my last games, the previous match I beat Sunderland 8-0 at home. Burnley did not play any more aggressive than Sunderland but chose to park the bus but I still failed to win even after going 1-0 up. Whether this is complacency is another story. I gave mid-game team talks telling the team to concentrate when 1-0 up and at half time but that didnt work.

But you have no idea during a match if something isn't working. You've made some changes recently to these tactics... do you at least watch a match in comprehensive or 5-10 minutes in full to see if the tactic works as desired?

I can spot general flaws in the tactics already - some I even pointed out to you in the other thread. The main thing is, are you just applying advice blindly? Do you test and see if it's working like you want it?

I dont like the second tactic. You re one of the top teams yet trying to set up like Burnley!

Top teams CAN play counter football but not by sitting back and not moving ball quickly upfront perhaps utilising the flanks. Talking about this you have two potent attacking positions on the wings yet you re not utilising them. You need your defensive players (not same thing as defenders btw) to press the opposition in your half then make rapid transitions and you re not achieving this.

So I'd otherwise drop the counter thingy and use something else (control maybe with patient build up) or set it up better.

Yes, the changes i've made have improved the team. The change of mentality has helped as I was just being too defensive and shorter passing/work ball into box have helped as previously there was no final product whatsover, now I'm creating more chances but cannot finish them. (Tactic 2 only - wont play tactic 1 away again as its too aggressive).

You say you spotted flaws in my tactic (which I have amended e.g LB now set to support/BWM swapped with CM) but how can I possibly stop individual mistakes that are costing me games? Missing easy chances, bad passes, parries by the keeper and general bad luck... It doesn't help that half my team are still sulking from a harsh team talk that happened 3 months ago so they may not be at it mentally.

I wonder about decisions like close down less (when Counter already has low closing down) combined with the BWM and DC/X, both roles with higher than normal closing down.

Anyway, your problem is offensively, so what are you noticing? Only struggling away against mid to lower table teams?

I'd love to see PKMs of the games you struggled in. Not sure if you'd be willing to upload it somewhere?

The mistakes etc could be pressure, frustration, low confidence or just genuine mistakes.

I changed the mentality to control and that has helped. I agree, I was setting up too defensively and nothing was being created up front.
I set pressing to close down less as I like to have a solid defensive unit. With close down more I tend to get caught out of position and end up conceding as my defence has opened up. Now, as this tactic will be deployed in the trickier ties, the last thing I want is for that to happen. The cover/stopper CB pairing does not press too aggressively. Terry will step out if there is a lose/winnable ball but doesn't expose the defence and the other CB acts as a sweeper if a ball is played through.

I'm not sure if I can achieve what I want in game. I want to press high up the pitch when the ball is in opponents half but as soon as it gets into our half I want to set up defensively with a solid shape. I have tried this by using opposition instructions and player instructions but it tends to be one or the other and not that transition.

Regarding offensively, using this tactic 2, I struggle going forward against all teams. Like i said, I dont create as many chances as tactic 1, even though the number has improved but my chance conversion is terrible also so I'm really struggling to score away and also cannot keep a clean sheet which is why i'm losing so many.

What is a PKM lol?

Well, you may have made it worse by switching to control. Previously, with Counter, you had a tactic set up for the counter, with a lone striker on Attack and 2 other players joining. With a Control mentality they might be getting the ball forward too quickly? It depends how the teams set up against you.

You can go into any full detail league and click on any fixture and have the option to save the match as a PKM file. It's only a few KBs and can be viewed by anyone in FM. I'll I have to do is to save it to my PC and View Match from the Start Up Screen in FM.

Also, so the 2nd tactic is exactly the same still, apart from the change to Control?

View attachment 305860View attachment 305859

This is the current tactic 2. Also forgot to mention Costa changed from CF to DLF so he's more involved in the game, helps build up.
Costa previously was getting lost up top but now he's a DLF he's dropping deeper, linking play which I do feel has benefited the team getting the ball up the pitch.

Last edited:
Ok, I have saved a match which I lost to Man Utd 3-1. In this game I used both the tactics so you can analyse both. How do I get you to see it?

Thanks for your help btw :)

Upload it to a file sharing site.

You played Man Utd at Old Trafford, using a Control mentality and expected to win? Or was it the manner of the loss?

Also, I notice your tactic is only Competent. That will be partly why you're seeing mistakes and stray passes.

Upload it to a file sharing site.

You played Man Utd at Old Trafford, using a Control mentality and expected to win? Or was it the manner of the loss?

Also, I notice your tactic is only Competent. That will be partly why you're seeing mistakes and stray passes.

I didn't expect to win at United, not with my form. I went to Man City with counter mentality and Liverpool and got beat so I went to Old Trafford a bit more offensive. I picked this game as it has both the updated tactics in the same game so it will be easier to analyse.
Bad morale and unfamiliar tactics doesn't help but being first season, the team needs to adjust.
I've uploaded game to https://footballmanagerlouishazard.sharefile.com/?mobileint=skip

It needs a username and password?

Back