alphaguru

Reaction score
Obviously there was the pre-season league thing, but since the full game came out they appear to have closed that particular avenue.

Anyone got any advice? Particularly at a semi-professional level.

Last edited:
Its not a way to make money, but ensure that you have the release in injury clause in players contracts. Yeah its harsh, but it will save you having to pay injured players when they are out for 6+ months.

Good tip, I didn't actually realise that clause existed.

Isn't it the same everywhere, not just LLM? Buy low, sell high. Keep wages as low as possible. Progress as far as you can in the cups and finish as high as possible in the league.

Yes and no. If you can do it then buy low, sell high is a good tip, but particularly in LLM it's very difficult to have that level of cash to put aside for 'investments' so to speak. That's more of a tip for clubs that already have some money to make even more money, which is rare in semi-professional teams, for example. Perhaps I should have specified that I am referring to LLM at the lowest level, National League North/South teams.

The other things you said, yes of course a cup run would be great. Keeping wages low at that level though won't result in much profit, pretty much just in staying afloat.

Yes and no. If you can do it then buy low, sell high is a good tip, but particularly in LLM it's very difficult to have that level of cash to put aside for 'investments' so to speak. That's more of a tip for clubs that already have some money to make even more money, which is rare in semi-professional teams, for example. Perhaps I should have specified that I am referring to LLM at the lowest level, National League North/South teams.

The other things you said, yes of course a cup run would be great. Keeping wages low at that level though won't result in much profit, pretty much just in staying afloat.
The level still doesn't matter. If there's no money, which there won't be, Free Transfers is what you're looking for. Selling for anything, even a future % fee is something. If you can't sell, so be it.

The level still doesn't matter. If there's no money, which there won't be, Free Transfers is what you're looking for. Selling for anything, even a future % fee is something. If you can't sell, so be it.

Respectfully, I disagree. Wage budgets are very low and it is very unlikely you will have enough disposable wage budget to buy players with the sole purpose of selling them on for profit.

Players at a semi-professional level rarely, if ever, sell for anything, even their value. Clubs around that level simply don't have the money to buy players for cash, so there is too much of a lack of demand. Even adding future fees is the for most part futile as even in the future these players will rarely transfer for an actual fee.

There are plenty of differences in LLM compared to Premier League, to claim that everything applicable to high level teams can be applied at such a low level is not correct. If it were, I would do just as well with semi-pro teams as I do with professional ones, which sadly I don't :p

why ask for help if you keep chucking it back.

you need to get a parent club and try and get through the divisions as quickly as you can

Respectfully, I disagree. Wage budgets are very low and it is very unlikely you will have enough disposable wage budget to buy players with the sole purpose of selling them on for profit.

Players at a semi-professional level rarely, if ever, sell for anything, even their value. Clubs around that level simply don't have the money to buy players for cash, so there is too much of a lack of demand. Even adding future fees is the for most part futile as even in the future these players will rarely transfer for an actual fee.

There are plenty of differences in LLM compared to Premier League, to claim that everything applicable to high level teams can be applied at such a low level is not correct. If it were, I would do just as well with semi-pro teams as I do with professional ones, which sadly I don't :p

First of all, you need to drop the Premier League vs LLM mentality. Making money is the same weather you're worth £500K or £5.0B. Bring in more money than you're paying out.

Wages... Actually sit down and calculate exactly how much you're paying each year on wages. Go on. I trust you'll find that it'll account for 60%+ of your total club expenditure. Have wages as low as possible with Bonuses as low as possible. Wages always make a difference but it's a long term difference. It's a comparable difference over a 5 year budget. You'll save a fortune in the long run and that's what making money is at LLM level. It's about maximizing your monthly income to end the year with a positive cash flow.

LLM clubs do not have disposable income, everything needs to be guaranteed against the value of the club. What this means: You're going to have to sell players if you want money. Buy cheap, sell high... but those cheap players will be your actual first team squad who will win you games and you'll grow attached to them. You need to build these guys up, sell them for more than they were worth when you bought them for a repeat the process until you can afford to attract players of the quality you're selling.

Be prepared to let players go fro nothing or very cheaply. Remember, when you sell a player, you're also adding the remaining wages left on that contract to your income as you no long have it listed as an expenditure. So cheap sales may actually earn you a fortune int he long run if the player is on a big contract. Any fee is more money than no fee (the players wages).

I'm in the depths of Portugal and managing to sell the odd player for a fee so I am making some money. I'm also at a Semi-Pro club.

Anyway, cup runs (or promotion) is usually the aim without crippling yourself IRL, so that should be the aim here too.

Friendlies against big clubs are a big one people use.

Cup runs are obviously a big one too but never too easy.

Cut wherever possible on wages and ins and outs. Does make a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions. They are all valid and I appreciate them. :)

About the LLM vs Premier League thing, I didn't mean to say that they are totally different because you can use the same tips for both, but I meant more that the gains are minimal from buying and selling in the Vanarama North or South. I can't recall having ever had an actual cash bid for any one of players, ever, from any team whilst I am in those divisions. I will definitely accept them if I get any because, you are right, it is a way to make money. Maybe my team are all rubbish and that's why :p, but I also think it's because the types of clubs normally that will want semi-professional players are the types that do not have the money to spend (as I'm sure you're aware as well, players will normally only sign for their local teams as well if they are taking a non-professional contract).

Please don't think I am arguing with you because I think I know better than you (obviously I don't or I wouldn't need to make this thread) but I was merely trying to say I have never been in a position where I was able to sell players to make money at that level. If I could, it would be all too easy. Well, not really, but it would be an option I can use.

I think careful wage management and cup runs are going to be the aim, although both are difficult to juggle at the same time so I may have to prioritise. :)

Apologies if there was a misunderstanding but you're pretty much selling players to get money to survive. You'll be very lucky if you ever get to the point where you can actually buy players!

Definitely be ruthless when it comes to staff and players. There will always be better and cheaper so don't be hesitant in getting rid of the of the old crew.

I think that's a problem, looking back, I have had. Haven't got rid of the dead wood quickly enough and signed players of quality. I tended to keep the bulk of the team and only sign a few players. I'll reconsider that in the future.