Anybody had any luck with Target Men ?

Dunkan

Reaction score
I'm looking to use the TMs as a lone striker, not so much for just hoofing the ball to him and hoping for the best, but to also get more out of overlapping full backs and wingers.

I like my strikers to score 20+ a season and with a TM it seems simple you get your wingers and full backs to cross more often and float them in, but are there any other key tips for using target men? i'm playing the 4-1-2-2-1 formation so I'm unsure as to how CMs can help somehow but i'm basically looking for any tips to get the most out of my target men (Lukaku and Dzeko) thanks :)

I'm looking to use the TMs as a lone striker, not so much for just hoofing the ball to him and hoping for the best, but to also get more out of overlapping full backs and wingers.

I like my strikers to score 20+ a season and with a TM it seems simple you get your wingers and full backs to cross more often and float them in, but are there any other key tips for using target men? i'm playing the 4-1-2-2-1 formation so I'm unsure as to how CMs can help somehow but i'm basically looking for any tips to get the most out of my target men (Lukaku and Dzeko) thanks :)
The only 'tip' I can give you is to make sure your Target Man is in the box when the wingers/fullbacks are in position to cross.

It'll probably help to get at least one more player in the box regularly to draw defenders away from the TM or to mop up rebounds etc.

By the way, if you play a player as a Target Man, you're going to have to accept that he'll be used as a target man at times. Otherwise, just select a different role.

The only 'tip' I can give you is to make sure your Target Man is in the box when the wingers/fullbacks are in position to cross.

It'll probably help to get at least one more player in the box regularly to draw defenders away from the TM or to mop up rebounds etc.

By the way, if you play a player as a Target Man, you're going to have to accept that he'll be used as a target man at times. Otherwise, just select a different role.

Yeah I know they're not just bred to win headers, I've seen them in game holding off multiple people whilst allowing others to get forward and make runs, I also think the floating crosses will allow opposite wingers to grab a few goals too. Thanks for the tip about getting more people in the box, I have a RPM and CM (s) at the moment may change the CM to CM (A) .

I did have good mobile(pace 14 acc 15) target man in FM14 and he did good job but he did goals in a row for 2-8 games and then disappeared for few games and then he started again bang goals.. I did play one winger and one IF(A) and when IF did come to the box he was good option too for crosses.

A TM can work very well in my opinion, it;s just getting people near him doing perfect jobs, like above with a IF-A or maybe a Shadow Striker or AM-A behind him so that he isn't isolated will help him a lot.

I would use him with support instructions and offensive wing mans (inside forward ) or offensive AMCs (shadow strikers). Also play hit early crosses and pump ball in the box. Play structured and disciplined defensive or counterattacking football

I would use him with support instructions and offensive wing mans (inside forward ) or offensive AMCs (shadow strikers). Also play hit early crosses and pump ball in the box. Play structured and disciplined defensive or counterattacking football
Why? What's the reason for the advice? Why would you play early crosses to a Support striker who will drop deep?

I've had some success playing a shadow striker in behind him. Haven't messed a whole lot with the team instructions for crossing; usually I'm using him in a pretty basic 4-2-3-1 DM Counter, with the only instructions being pass into space and more direct passing (the former of which may not be optimal, but my primary guy is an AF, not a TM). You could play with some of the other instructions like pump the ball in/float crosses, but it's generally worked fine for me without messing with it too much.

I'm dying to make a tactic with a TM work so I can utilize Mitrovic.Thinking of a deep counter 4411, 2DM, 2WPs and a TM/SS pairing and more direct passing, perhaps?

I'm dying to make a tactic with a TM work so I can utilize Mitrovic.Thinking of a deep counter 4411, 2DM, 2WPs and a TM/SS pairing and more direct passing, perhaps?
With such a deep formation, why on earth would you want direct passing if counter attacks aren't on?