Anyone agree Pele gets more credit than he deserves

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldorain

Banned
Reaction score
Pele is often lauded as the greatest ever, and so he claims himself. People claim he was head and shoulders above everyone and most of these people weren't even born when he was playing, then they claim they seen "footages" of him play, but footages can make Heskey look like Messi. Then there is the 1000 goals stats, which most of them were against teams with farmers playing in them. Pukas has more international goals than him, why isn't he considerd among or above Pele. Finally his arrogance is his biggest hubris and seems to be an unliked feature behind closes doors. Scolari: "if you want to win a league title, listen to Pele and do the opposite"

Maybe a little, but generally someone who scores +1,000 goals deserves it anyway.

No chance.

1200 goals in a League filled with World Cup Winners. Won the World Cup 3 times. 77 goals in 90 odd internationals. Carried Santos and NYC. He is the best striker of all time, and for me the greatest player of all time.

well you don't lead your country to world cup glory if your a bad player. True he was surronded by good players like Carlos Alberto etc but is that not like Messi at Barca today. He isn't head and shoulders above the rest, infact I'd put G.Best on top, but he was one of the true greats

well you don't lead your country to world cup glory if your a bad player. True he was surronded by good players like Carlos Alberto etc but is that not like Messi at Barca today. He isn't head and shoulders above the rest, infact I'd put G.Best on top, but he was one of the true greats

George Best above Pele? Let's not be absurd. George Best never played at major international tournaments, and didn't really make an impact on the National Team even if it was Northern Ireland. Pele is still Brazil's top goalscorer, out lasting the likes of 'El Phenomenom' Ronaldo, and Romario to stay their highest goalscorer ever, and he's got over 1200 goals in his club career.

Only person that could really be argued to be better than Pele for me is Maradona because he did everything Pele did, but he did it in Europe too (although he didn't score as many goals and he was a druggie).

George Best above Pele? Let's not be absurd. George Best never played at major international tournaments, and didn't really make an impact on the National Team even if it was Northern Ireland. Pele is still Brazil's top goalscorer, out lasting the likes of 'El Phenomenom' Ronaldo, and Romario to stay their highest goalscorer ever, and he's got over 1200 goals in his club career.

Only person that could really be argued to be better than Pele for me is Maradona because he did everything Pele did, but he did it in Europe too (although he didn't score as many goals and he was a druggie).

just my opinion but i do get where your coming from. Pele and Maradona won World cups as captains of their country

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

I'd throw people like Gerd Muller into the mix. His international goal ratio was outstanding

swear we just had a pele bashing thread not too long ago? :S

just my opinion but i do get where your coming from. Pele and Maradona won World cups as captains of their country

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

I'd throw people like Gerd Muller into the mix. His international goal ratio was outstanding

I accept it was your opinion and of course you're entitled to it, but I was just saying why I disagree..

Gerd Muller was superb too, but again for me not on Pele or Maradona's level.

ok but back to the op, the answer remains no, Pele deserves to be named one of the best

Pele is often lauded as the greatest ever, and so he claims himself. People claim he was head and shoulders above everyone and most of these people weren't even born when he was playing, then they claim they seen "footages" of him play, but footages can make Heskey look like Messi. Then there is the 1000 goals stats, which most of them were against teams with farmers playing in them. Pukas has more international goals than him, why isn't he considerd among or above Pele. Finally his arrogance is his biggest hubris and seems to be an unliked feature behind closes doors. Scolari: "if you want to win a league title, listen to Pele and do the opposite"

1. There are many, many full games of Pele out there, I myself have quite a few on VHS.
2. Playing against farmers? If by the you mean the Brazilian league...do some research.
3. Not all about goals - but his >1k plays a huge part. Also, international goals doesnt mean he is as good.
4. Arrogance - Ali has a huge ego, I guess he wasn't the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.