Gibballo

Reaction score
Hey there, I've took my Newcastle team to become the biggest team in the world (reputation wise, win the vast majority of trophies available, etc.) However, this has come at a cost. Thanks to a mega-rich chairman I could make any team I wanted, but now I'm enjoying the rewards of my youth system and trying to build a world class team from young players I've developed. I'm slowly selling off my top players, and therefore getting a ridiculous profit each transfer window, while cutting the wage bill. Financially, I was expecting to be doing phenomonally.

And with a maximum transfer budget of ~£700m (Yes, that is how much is available to me!) I suppose I am. A wage bill of ~£1.5m p/w is also very good considering the club's enormous reputation and achievements (Decreased from last year). But then I look at the income/expenditure for last season. Large player wages (~£85m) and very large bonuses (~£40m !!!). £53m in non-football costs, £64m in tax and £34m in "other," spells for some serious expenditure. Removing all transfer income and expenditure, the club is losing ~£26.5m a year.

This doesn't sit well with me, and while I have hope my merchandising clubs will help, and some big players with big bonuses have gone, this might cut it down a little more. But while Newcastle aren't gonna disappear any time soon, thanks to that £700m sitting safe, I'd love to see if it's possible to manage a big club in the black.

So I'm asking other experienced FM managers from their past experiences, how concerning are my figures? Are yours similar to mine? I don't typically leave Newcastle in my save so I don't have much perspective for what the situation and figures are at other clubs, but if you're a relatively big team, could you please post your financial loss/gain without transfer expenditure/income (and agent fees) to give me the ability to make a comparison? If you feel I should take any other figures into consideration please tell, and if you have any particularly good financial advice I'd love to hear it :p

That post turned out longer than expected, but thank you very much for reading, would love any feedback.

I think you are fine financially mate, around the end of the season you tend to get an influx of prize money and sponsorship etc which is likely to offset your 26.5m loss.

How big is your stadium? That seems to be how most people get really rich, they get rich, then build a much bigger stadium, then be poor for a little bit, then become really rich.

@rfcgreg Oh I'm afraid it's taking the influx of prize money and sponsorship into account. Things are that grim.

@FootballManagerG0D My stadium was expanded to 60k capacity and is always packed to capacity. And for love nor money can I convince them to build a new stadium. I've tried every option at every opportunity it seems.

@sammyt The club has no debt, but I AM still paying for transfers, a lot more than I realised in fact. Last season I was still paying off transfers like Gotze and Cavani, amounted to ~£22.5m over the season. I still have ~£4m worth of Cavani to pay but that's all.

Edit: I realise now that these figures wouldn't have been included in my total as they would have fallen under transfer expenditure. I'd still appreciate anyone posting their last season's profit/losses.

Last edited:
You should be much more financially stable next year once all the players are payed off, try and sell the high earners and replace them with younger players with potential. This always works for me, made over 700 million in transfers on my porto save.

@sammyt The club has no debt, but I AM still paying for transfers, a lot more than I realised in fact. Last season I was still paying off transfers like Gotze and Cavani, amounted to ~£22.5m over the season. I still have ~£4m worth of Cavani to pay but that's all.

Edit: I realise now that these figures wouldn't have been included in my total as they would have fallen under transfer expenditure. I'd still appreciate anyone posting their last season's profit/losses.

i actually meant paying off any debts taken out to expand the stadium/ build a new one/ improve facilities, or if the board had taken ou a loan to finance buying the club.