Minstrels

Reaction score
Basically it's a formation I used in FM 10.

Goalkeeper

RB CB CB LB
Anchor Man

DM Deep Playmaker

Inside Forward Inside Forward

Target Man

The inside forwards would have opposite feet (player on right would have a left foot). I'm just wondering if anyone else plays something similar. Worked great for me last year and I could easily switch it around against the lesser teams (swap the anchor man to a AM or even a ST). Short passing, expressive etc. Going to be giving it a real go after the City game.

So yeah, anyone play like it?

So what's the point of this thread again.......:S?

So what's the point of this thread again.......:S?
Well if you read the title you would first of all see "Anyone play a 4-1-2-2-1?" which would mean that the thread is going to be discussing a 4-1-2-2-1 style. Secondly you would spot a couple of lines in my OP which you would read and see that I'm talking about the 4-1-2-2-1 style of play and saying "I'll be giving it a real go tonight". And then to conclude my post you should spot a question asking if anyone plays like it. So to sum it up for a simpleton the thread is discussing a 4-1-2-2-1 style and seeing if anyone plays it so I can ask a few questions.

Depending on the team I am with I have played it in the past, quite a common formation.

Yea thats pretty much my tactic for everton, although instead of a DLP i use centre mid - support and instead of target man i use deep lying forward support :)

Well if you read the title you would first of all see "Anyone play a 4-1-2-2-1?" which would mean that the thread is going to be discussing a 4-1-2-2-1 style. Secondly you would spot a couple of lines in my OP which you would read and see that I'm talking about the 4-1-2-2-1 style of play and saying "I'll be giving it a real go tonight". And then to conclude my post you should spot a question asking if anyone plays like it. So to sum it up for a simpleton the thread is discussing a 4-1-2-2-1 style and seeing if anyone plays it so I can ask a few questions.
Just like to say I didn't mean this in an offence way as I know the last sentence could give the post an aggressive edge... I'm just getting twitchy as we're dominating Bolton and we can't score! Hit the post, crossbar... everything and it's still 1:0!

Anyway, I set the first CM as defensive. If I'm the lesser team then I'll stick with the formation but if I'm someone better then I'll normally drop the anchor man in favour of a AM or ST. This formation is ideal for City, Yaya is the ideal CM with forward runs and De Jong the anchor man against sides such as Chelsea with Balo the AM or ST against Blackpool etc.

I use it as my preferred variant of 4-5-1, good when you need that bit more defensive cover and control over the middle of the pitch.

GK
LB/RB - Wingback, auto
RCB/LCB - Varies with the players
DM - Anchorman, def
CM - Box to box, support
CM - Deep lying playmaker, support
LAM/RAM - Inside forward, attack (sometimes play one as a winger, support)
ST - Depends on the player, generally complete forward

i do it's a common formation. Thinking about scrapping it though as I've been using it since FM10 and it's become too familiar.