Anyone play with slow defenders. Long rant coming.

damesjond

Reaction score
How are you able to attack with slow defenders. To understand where I'm coming from, here is my rant:

The current advice I see on here is that if you have slow defenders, you should play with a deep line. The problem with that is that it completely changes your style, If you attack or play on control mentality. The reason being that when you are on attack mentality, your defensive line is already adjusted to be very high, so if you click drop deeper on the team instructions page, the defensive line switches from very high to high line and then much deeper moves it back to standard.

Basically, to achieve a deep line you need you have to play on standard or defensive mentality, and that in itself affects how your defenders play. (they will play direct passes even if you tell not to) And it also affects your ability to close down effectively and off course your transition play.
In addition, even with a deep defensive line, strikers still get behind your defense routinely, or your ability to defend crosses becomes poor, as you can't tightly mark players with a deep line.

Maybe I'm just terrible at this game (I don't think I am, but I do learn something every day), but I can't seem to have success with a deep line except if I am coaching a world class team, in which case, players perform well in spite of bad tactics. With smaller teams, I need to close down and play a higher line as I find it more defensively secure than allowing them have possession and pick their passes.

Now in reality, Barcelona play with a high line, and Pique, Bartra, Mascherano and Mathieu are not the fastest, and yes they do get exposed by a very good counter attack team, but it's not as bad as in FM, where long passes happen all the time.
On the other hard, Atletico Madrid defend deep but they close down players once they get to their defensive third. This is difficult to implement in FM.

Rant over, have to go scout for a fast defender.

I found my biggest improvement in defence was not having close down more enabled for the defenders. It ruins them. Same with any DM.

How are you able to attack with slow defenders. To understand where I'm coming from, here is my rant:

The current advice I see on here is that if you have slow defenders, you should play with a deep line. The problem with that is that it completely changes your style, If you attack or play on control mentality. The reason being that when you are on attack mentality, your defensive line is already adjusted to be very high, so if you click drop deeper on the team instructions page, the defensive line switches from very high to high line and then much deeper moves it back to standard.

Basically, to achieve a deep line you need you have to play on standard or defensive mentality, and that in itself affects how your defenders play. (they will play direct passes even if you tell not to) And it also affects your ability to close down effectively and off course your transition play.
In addition, even with a deep defensive line, strikers still get behind your defense routinely, or your ability to defend crosses becomes poor, as you can't tightly mark players with a deep line.

Maybe I'm just terrible at this game (I don't think I am, but I do learn something every day), but I can't seem to have success with a deep line except if I am coaching a world class team, in which case, players perform well in spite of bad tactics. With smaller teams, I need to close down and play a higher line as I find it more defensively secure than allowing them have possession and pick their passes.

Now in reality, Barcelona play with a high line, and Pique, Bartra, Mascherano and Mathieu are not the fastest, and yes they do get exposed by a very good counter attack team, but it's not as bad as in FM, where long passes happen all the time.
On the other hard, Atletico Madrid defend deep but they close down players once they get to their defensive third. This is difficult to implement in FM.

Rant over, have to go scout for a fast defender.
You will be able to get away with a higher line if you make sure midfielders do not have time to pick passes through your defence. Ask AVB and Sherwood about that when they were at Tottenham. ;)

There is solution for this... You have to dominate midlle park and force long ball forward from opponent... This is possible if You are able to maintain your shape and if you close chanels for opponent... If Your defence is slow, I am guessing that they are good in areal chalenges, so if you dominate with numbers in middle of park, you can force opponent to play as suite you... This will mean you will give up your wings, but that is not big of issue, as whe opponent is going forward sideways from your defence, they will move down and You will get deep line in those situation.

You also may benefit from not closing down too much as it will give you more compact shape, and this will deny opponent space for creating situation for sending passes behind your D-line...