Anyone used defensive forwards? How have you used them?

dave256

Reaction score
Recently been playing around with defensive forwards and starting to wonder if anyone else has used them and to what effect? Now obviously not being an out and out striker the players/roles you have around them are crucial to get goals. I've actually found the role to be more effective than the DLF and the F9 but I'm realising I'm very fickle and seem to switch alliance very quickly :p They drop a lot deeper than the other two options and so I feel would play the lone striker role pretty well IF you team him up with the right player behind him. Anyways, thoughts?

Recently been playing around with defensive forwards and starting to wonder if anyone else has used them and to what effect? Now obviously not being an out and out striker the players/roles you have around them are crucial to get goals. I've actually found the role to be more effective than the DLF and the F9 but I'm realising I'm very fickle and seem to switch alliance very quickly :p They drop a lot deeper than the other two options and so I feel would play the lone striker role pretty well IF you team him up with the right player behind him. Anyways, thoughts?

They are supposed to keep things simple and bring others into play, so if using one, you should have someone else as your number nine, the goalscorer...

They are supposed to keep things simple and bring others into play, so if using one, you should have someone else as your number nine, the goalscorer...

Yeah, I've been wondering if I played with a SS for example and s triker if I could use the striker as a defensive forward to play balls into the ghosting SS or if the role would work better as replacing the SS role and then using a more advanced striker to partner. The DF (s) does actually drop back and move forward fairly well

I use them sometimes but never start a game with one. I only really use one in the last 15 minutes if I have a narrow lead. I usually use a TM-A and a DLF-S, and I'll change the DLF to a DF-S just to pressurise their defence a bit more.

Like Crane, I've only used a Defensive Forward when protecting a lead - and only when the individual player rates DF as one of his better roles. With the Defend option they drop onto the opposition's defensive midfielders; with the Support option, they close down the centre-backs and try to win possession high up the field.

You mentioned possibly using a Shadow Striker. If you read the role descriptions on the Player Instructions page of the Tactics section within FM, you can see that the Deep-Lying Forward and the Shadow Striker are specifically designed to operate together - and I have had goals galore out of Jay Rodriguez from the SS position in my Southampton save, with the DLF constantly rating as my 2nd top scorer, in a 4-4-1-1 formation with attacking wingers getting to the byline and supplying crosses while a Deep-Lying Playmaker (like James Ward-Prowse) also feeds balls into the channels from midfield. Works much better when the SS is - like Rodriguez - 6ft+ and decent both in the air and at Finishing on the ground.

Last edited:
I once switched Cavani and Insigne (Napoli FM13) to DF for 1 match against Juve (they were too strong) and we won 2-0 by winning the ball from Chiellini. (H)

I once switched Cavani and Insigne (Napoli FM13) to DF for 1 match against Juve (they were too strong) and we won 2-0 by winning the ball from Chiellini. (H)

Yeah, I know by theory that certain roles should work with other roles but I've found the defensive forward to play how I'd expect the DLF to play. He drops back to hassle and make himself available for the ball but still does make runs forward. He obviously works better with attacking midfielders/attacking wingers but seems to me the only striking role that drops back effectively