robing9g

Reaction score
i like to play realistic football, FM seems like can score from some decent through ball, not so realistic at all lol

i want my team to play like Newcastle and Stoke, Target man up front, an amc as second striker, but it seems there is no way to play like that, the target man setting seems useless this year.

I once did stoke I played them as a counter-attacking team with not many players attacking apart from the front two, all defenders defending, wide-men support and central players defending too. 2 front men one support one attack. Was pretty successful beat Liverpool 1-0 at home drew chelsea 2-2 away drew arsenal 1-1 at home and beat the likes of bolton, blackburn, wolves etc on average 2-0/2-1

i like to play realistic football, FM seems like can score from some decent through ball, not so realistic at all lol

i want my team to play like Newcastle and Stoke, Target man up front, an amc as second striker, but it seems there is no way to play like that, the target man setting seems useless this year.

Play like this

GK BEGOVIC GK-DEFEND
DR WILKINSON - FULL BACK-DEFEND
DC HUTH - LIMITED DEFENDER - STOPPER
DC SHAWCROSS - LIMITED DEFENDER - STOPPER
DL COLLINS - FULL BACK - DEFEND
MR PENNANT - WINGER - SUPPORT
MC WHITEHEAD - BALL WINNER - SUPPORT
MC WHELAN - BOX TO BOX - SUPPORT
ML ETHERTINGTON - WINGER - SUPPORT
ST - WALTERS - DEEP LYING - SUPPORT
ST JONES - TARGET MAN - ATTACK

set your team as rigid and counter attacking. put jones as primary target man with ball to mixed

Play like this

GK BEGOVIC GK-DEFEND
DR WILKINSON - FULL BACK-DEFEND
DC HUTH - LIMITED DEFENDER - STOPPER
DC SHAWCROSS - LIMITED DEFENDER - STOPPER
DL COLLINS - FULL BACK - DEFEND
MR PENNANT - WINGER - SUPPORT
MC WHITEHEAD - BALL WINNER - SUPPORT
MC WHELAN - BOX TO BOX - SUPPORT
ML ETHERTINGTON - WINGER - SUPPORT
ST - WALTERS - DEEP LYING - SUPPORT
ST JONES - TARGET MAN - ATTACK

set your team as rigid and counter attacking. put jones as primary target man with ball to mixed
I want to play with 1 striker

Tackling - Hard
Closing Down - Always

Players with high aggression

5 across the back :p

As soon as an Arsenal fan joins in this thread is screwed...

It seems like the Target man setting and crossing are lame in FM 2011

Think I might try and make Barca play like Stoke.. No idea why, I'm just bored :)

It seems like the Target man setting and crossing are lame in FM 2011

Yeah crossing sucks on this game.. Unless this it's a corner, then it's a glitch-fest.

Play a standard 442, both strikers target men. Wingers crossing all the time. Play more direct and fast. Tacking hard and aggresive. Rory Delap doing long throws and your more or less there. :)

crossing sucks on this game. Thats something new for me.
I agree with StuW and Im adding:
- Creative Freedom - Low
- Passing - Long balls ( you can do that in advanced player instruction - passing)
- Tackling - More agg.
- Def line - Deep
and

GK -defend
SB- Full back support ( run from deep too the middle, crossing - side line and often)
CB- Limited CB
SMF( side mid fielders) Defansive winger with crossing on Max - support
CM - Deep l. playmaker or regular Central Mid, passing direct - support
CM- Ball winning mid or def. mid. with creative freedom on very low, passing short- defend
AMC- Second striker, Inside foward. Run from deep on max, cut inside, passing direct - Attack
ST - Targetman, Creative freedom low, passing short - support

it should look like this
gk
rb-cb-cb-lb
rm-cm-cm-lm
amc
st​
You need players with high aggression, stamina and strenght.
hope this helped ( it took 10 min of my life, **** XD )

EDIT: Long ball set. only for CB

Last edited:
Play a standard 442, both strikers target men. Wingers crossing all the time. Play more direct and fast. Tacking hard and aggresive. Rory Delap doing long throws and your more or less there. :)

how to play with two target man?

i want to play like Newcastle actually lol

Make up your mind. If you want to play like Newcastle, play as Newcastle. Simple as that.

Stoke usually play with a 4-4-2, a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-1-1-1. Sometimes a 4-3-3 at home, if they are feeling adventurous. Usually, they'd have one player up front to hold the ball up and bring others into play such as the wingers and one of the possible three central midfielders, and exploit the flanks with crosses to the lone striker.

If they play with an attacking midfielder behind the striker, then they have him as the playmaker, and he moves into the channels to then provide passes to the frontman. If you use these types of instructions, then you will be playing closely to what Stoke do in real-life. It just takes quite a lot of time for it to gel and for it to work well. Especially away from home.

By the way, post it in this thread for it be answered. I would have if you had done so. It's stuck for the reason to help.

Umm...You could try being terrible? Might work, Dunno :)

what about team instruction?

through the middle or?

Of course it should be down the flanks not through the middle. The idea is to get the ball out to your wide players, who then either take on their markers and try to get to the byline and cross for the target man, or send in early crosses into the box. I think the two CM's should be mainly to try to win the ball back rather than to create chances.

As soon as an Arsenal fan joins in this thread is screwed...

This thread is now screwed.....Haha. :D

Of course it should be down the flanks not through the middle. The idea is to get the ball out to your wide players, who then either take on their markers and try to get to the byline and cross for the target man, or send in early crosses into the box. I think the two CM's should be mainly to try to win the ball back rather than to create chances.

This thread is now screwed.....Haha. :D

but seems like the winger doesnt know how to cross this year