Apply for a job in may, and not leave your current club until after the season?

gaamst

Reaction score
I'm very sorry if this topic has been brought up before, I swear I've googled for answers=)

I'm currently managing Roma, but the season just ended in England, and Tottenham decided to sack Pochettino.

The problem is that there are three games remaining of the season, one league game, one domestic cup final AND a Champions League final. So naturally I don't want to leave until after the season, but is there a way to negotiate a deal with Spurs which would allow me to take over july 1st or something like that?

I don't want to declare interest and experiment right before these huge matches, so does anyone know if this is possible? Of course I could wait, but the position might be filled already, any insight on this would be much appreciated.

I'm very sorry if this topic has been brought up before, I swear I've googled for answers=)

I'm currently managing Roma, but the season just ended in England, and Tottenham decided to sack Pochettino.

The problem is that there are three games remaining of the season, one league game, one domestic cup final AND a Champions League final. So naturally I don't want to leave until after the season, but is there a way to negotiate a deal with Spurs which would allow me to take over july 1st or something like that?

I don't want to declare interest and experiment right before these huge matches, so does anyone know if this is possible? Of course I could wait, but the position might be filled already, any insight on this would be much appreciated.

Im sure there was an option on the previous games but haven't been in the situation to check on this years im afraid.

How long do you have left on your contract? I think you can only select that option when you have like 6 months left on your contract

I believe there was an option to delay it until the end of the season. I think it was before negotiating a contract with them.

I signed a new three-year deal with Roma in january=/

But I deliberately asked for a low salary, to save money, so I can't imagine it would be very expensive for Tottenham to buy me out.

I decided to apply for the job, and not "declare interest". Didn't stop the press though, but I denied having any interest in job, later they came back saying that players and fans are upset, but the players' morale is unaffected and I haven't had to endure any abuse from the fans or board so I think I'm in the clear.

We'll have to wait and see if its possible to delay the move though, I'll update this post when I find out, just in case if there are anyone else interested to know about this.

On a side note, Villas-Boas lost his job at Zenit for talking to the press about the vacant position at Spurs=)

I believe there was an option to delay it until the end of the season. I think it was before negotiating a contract with them.

Yes, I've personally used this option. Just make sure that the game doesn't bug out and prevent you from playing an important cup game and the end of the season. (e.g. a foreign analogue of FA Cup after the end of the PL)

Thanks for the help, Guys. Tottenham decided to hire Rafa Benitez, which means I didn't even get to find the answer to my question, but you seem pretty confident about it being possible @ralphs, so I'll definitely risk it the next time.

Also, I guess there is no "right way" to apply for another job, the board and fans all lose they're heads and want yours as well when it's leaked, which happens every single time. Naturally played a part in the build up to the CL-final, and there was no stopping Barca after that. Won the TIM Cup though, and the board/fans couldn't give less of a ****, so all-in-all a great way to end the season...