Applying Rafa Benitez's 08/09 Liverpool tactics to the modern day Liverpool team

jameshlfc

Reaction score
Applying Rafa Benitez's 08/09 Liverpool tactics to the modern day Liverpool team

View attachment 296680

Hello, today I decided to start a new save with Liverpool and to try and recreate the tactics used in the 08/09 season.

The formation

Liverpool_TacticsOverview_zps2746c449-1_zps3f22b77e.jpg

The keeper and centre backs are the same players from the 08/09 season. I used Johnson and Enrique as the attacking fullbacks. I'm using Lucas in the Mascherano role and Sahin shall play the Alonso role. Gerrard will play the second striker role that helped him get 24 goals that season. I decided to play Downing in the Kuyt role but am not sure whether to play him in a support or attack role. Assaidi will play the Riera role. Suarez will play the Torres role although I'm not sure whether to play him as a complete forward or a poacher.

Team instructions

Liverpool_TacticsTeam-2_zps793e7633-1_zps68bf0eac.jpg

Liverpool_TacticsTeam-2_zps793e7633-1_zps0ec27f2c.jpg

I will play with a rigid style and an attacking strategy. I am going to play a quick paced direct passing style. I kept the creative freedom on default as really the only creative players shall be Sahin and Gerrard (Possibly Suarez as well). I will play with a high defensive line with high pressing. I wasn't sure on the marking so I just put it to zonal like I always do.

Enrique's attacking stats aren't really up to scratch so I will either look to replace him or change his role to defend. I will also be looking for replacements for the wingers as I dont feel they have the quality to be starters. I am playing with the LFCmarshal update so I have £16mil to spend. looking for suggestions on who to buy.

I am looking for help on how to make the tactic better and more like the Liverpool tactics of 08/09.
Any and all help is appreciated!​

Last edited:
Rafa is a discipline of Sacchi, who believed in having a broad split of 5 "attackers" and 5 defenders. Believe it or not the philosophy that applies best to Benitez is fluid.

If you are trying to play more like Rafa in 08/09, I would probably be using control and shorter passing.

Nice timing. I was literally just about to do this with my current Liverpool team as I have hit a deadzone. If it's tactics I know I can make, then it's Rafa emulators.

I would of said Gerrard played more like an out and out AM rather than a TQ. Also Benitez is renowned for having teams keeping their shape so roaming id have on stick to position.

Thanks for the feedback! It has been noted and I've tweaked the tactic.

Rafa is a discipline of Sacchi, who believed in having a broad split of 5 "attackers" and 5 defenders. Believe it or not the philosophy that applies best to Benitez is fluid.

If you are trying to play more like Rafa in 08/09, I would probably be using control and shorter passing.

Ok thanks so I should set the team passing to short and change Nuri Sahin's player instructions to direct passing?

I would of said Gerrard played more like an out and out AM rather than a TQ. Also Benitez is renowned for having teams keeping their shape so roaming id have on stick to position.

Ok thanks I've taken your advice though I thought Gerrard played more of a second striker role with Benitez.

I will update the OP with the new team instructions and such later.

I would have set up Suarez like this;

Poacher

• Mentality: Quite high – 18.
  • Creative Freedom: Low – 6.
  • Passing: Low – Between 1 and 6.
  • Closing Down – 8.
  • Tackling: Normal.
  • Run From Deep: Often.
  • Run With Ball: Often.
  • Long Shots: Rarely.
  • Through Balls: Mixed.
  • Cross Ball: Mixed or Rarely.
  • Cross From: Byline (he will be bursting past defensive line so will reach the byline).
  • Cross Aim: Mixed.
  • Wide Play: Move Into Channels.
  • Roam From Position: No.

These are the basic settings. The high mentality and forward runs ‘often’ keep him darting in behind the opposition’s defensive line. If he collects the ball from a pass he is allowed to dribble past defenders and break into space. The low creative freedom and lack of roaming keep him in a central position, in line with the tactical plan, while he is allowed to look for available space within the channels if defenders get dragged out of position.

could someone show me some screenshots of this tactic have you tweaked it if so what have you done

henderson on right wing as a def wing att with cut inside