Are A-Levels that important?

Frank

Hobbs
Reaction score
As the title suggests.. are they needed to be successful.

I currently study A-Levels, but am really not enjoying it at all, and am unsure whether to drop out at the end of this year (AS year). University doesn't really interest me that much anymore - and I just seem to think that I would be better off doing something else.

I just don't want to live to regret it later on in life - has anyone got anything they can say - and it's really just a general question I'm throwing out there.

Frank-E

I'm just finishing A2 and believe me, they're worth it, Uni or not. It'll help you get at least the experience jobs you need for getting a job later on. Think about it, if an employer sees that you dropped out, what does that say about you? That you can't see things out?

I wouldn't even consider it unless you definately have something lined up instead, such as work or an apprenticeship.

Definitely carry on with them, I didn't do A levels and went to college instead the government cut the funding and my course got cancelled after a year. Now I'm unemployed with **** all qualifications regretting not going to sixth form. You'll have it as something to put on your C.V at the very least.

I'm just about to finish A2 and ye A levels are boring as **** and quite hard. I wouldn't leave though unless you flop massively results wise or have a job lined up. The job market is ****** tough right now so you're better off doing another year and gaining a level qualifications.

i'm not going to uni either.

What are A Levels exactly?
Are they your final education in second level or at a university level? Because im from Ireland and they have a completely different system over here.

Anyway my main concensus is to finish your education as best you can. Even though college doesnt intrest you right now it will when you struggle to find work in the current economy without some decent qualifications.

Im finishing A2 this year as well and although their pretty boring it will be worth it later. Even if you don't get decent grades the whole point of them is to show employers/unis what skills you have and how that increases your employability.

Absolutely. Give it your all because they are vital whether you are going to uni or not.

Depends what you're studying. If you're not enjoying it, perhaps try new subjects. And certain subjects, employers won't give a **** if you have them or not. Also time to think about what you want to do afterwards, do you know what you want to do?

EDIT: And I also believe that at this level of education you should actually be enjoying what you're studying, or at least one of the subjects. They're subjects that you can choose, that you're interested in, and thus should be inherently enjoyable. If you don't enjoy what you study it make succeeding all that more difficult. Apart from English Lit, which I did no work for and dropped after my 1st year, I liked and enjoyed all of my subjects and learning about them, and the same now applies at uni.

Last edited:
It depends what you want to do. I did **** in my AS levels, so decided to drop two because I didn't like them, and took up business studies which I really enjoyed, and carried on doing ICT and Geography. I ended up coming to uni doing something that I really don't enjoy, which I now consider a waste, as it's not something I would wish to do as a job in the future. I wish I had tried harder in AS levels, so I could have done a degree I 'want' to do, rather than one I felt I could do with relative ease.

Personally, I would say stay in there, maybe drop a subject or two and do another AS level in something that you might enjoy more. At the end of the day, you are unlikely to get a 'good' job coming out of school with only AS levels and GCSE's, unless you plan on working in McDonalds for the rest of your life, which you might enjoy..

Unless you have a job/apprenticeship sorted out, I stick it out.

i am 19 and i pretty much dropped out of college in my second year i left with a merit/pass in some coursework bullshit which is probably the same as getting three c's. any way i left college at 17 and have spent the last two years in a financial apprenticeship getting paid £200 a month, which is pretty poor. However by working hard at work i just managed to land a new role which i am starting next month worth £26,000 a year which is very good for a 19 year old. from my experiences all i can advise is for you to work hard at college and any other job you get. I was probably pretty luckily to get my original job and if i didn't get that i wouldn't have the new job i am about to start. If i could go back in time i would work twice as hard at college to ensure i got my original job as that has allowed me to get a very nice car, save up for a deposit to buy my own house and have a better future then my mates who have gone to uni. I have been very lucky with the options i have but to be honest i have deserved them because i want to achieve in life and have worked hard to get the chance, its strange but for me giving up an educational future eg uni has been the best decision i ever made.

defenitly.. im doin AS aswell bio,chem and eco but gonna stick it out.. trust me the job market is soo bad youll need any qualification you can get

Unless you have a job lined up, you ought to stay put.

I regret leaving University immensely, and it took me a year and a half to find work in the current market, and that is with college qualifications and no degree.

I'm still only earning just above minimum wage for now, at £13,000 p/a, but I'm still grateful that I even have a job.

What A-levels are you doing? As has already been said, stick it out unless you have something else viable lined up. I'm doing A2 right now and can't wait to go to uni (though I have to get the grades first :/)

Unless you have a job lined up, you ought to stay put.

I regret leaving University immensely, and it took me a year and a half to find work in the current market, and that is with college qualifications and no degree.

I'm still only earning just above minimum wage for now, at £13,000 p/a, but I'm still grateful that I even have a job.

I would only consider leaving if I had a job/apprenticeship lined up :)

thanks for all the comments - :)

I got v good a levels, a 2:1 at uni and a masters degree from france and I've been searching for a job in marketing for over 4 months now. Might just be the current economic climate but work experience is so much more important than studies these days purely because everyone has a degree these days. If I had my time over I would have left school at 16 and become a plumber or electrician at 16.