Are defenders and goalkeepers underated?

Cai123

Reaction score
Why are top strickers worth £70 million and yet you can get a top def/gk for £20mill. People say that srickers score goals but whats the point of scoring if the defence concede as many goals as are scored. Matches arent always won by scoring goals , but by stoping goals (inter v barca)

Last edited:
Who would you rather have on youre team? Neuer, Sagna and jaguelka or ronaldo? Cause ronaldo would cost more yet not help the team as much.

This is what I think. For what they are, goalkeepers are horrifically cheap. Look at Shay Given, cost us £3.5 million and has so far saved us about 4-6 points on his own. Defenders are the same: the defence is where you start building a team, not the other way 'round.

And before anyone says there are more strikers than defenders, yes there are, but theres as many star strikers as star defenders.

Last edited:
Who would you rather have on youre team? Neuer, Sagna and jaguelka or ronaldo? Cause ronaldo would cost more yet not help the team as much.

I'd have the first three, thanks.

And before anyone says there are more strickers than defenders, yes there are, but theres as many star strickers as star defenders.

strict ???oO)

it must be Strikers not Strict-kers

Creation is tougher than destruction. Hence creative player cost **** loads more than Destructive players.

And people say they dont entertain but they do. Id prefer tho see howerd save a penelty than persie scoring a curler. They help the team as much( if not more) than strickers yet are worth nothing in comparison.

They do but only because the forward players are the ones who make the headlines. They are the matchwinners and the men who create things and make things exciting which is why people get drawn into the sport.

Also strikers retire sooner than defenders/gk which means you get more for your money with defenders.

Creation is tougher than destruction. Hence creative player cost **** loads more than Destructive players.

Thats not true because theres normally 2 on 1 in defensive situations to make it easier for defenders

Put it this way. How would you prefer to win4:3 or 1:0?

Strikers are bigger names because of the goals they score make them famous. Defenders, goalkeepers and defensive midfielders are usually unsung heros.

But who here loves it when a gk saves a penelty? Or a defender tackles perfectly?

Every player has their place in the team and are all just as important as the others! A great team is made around a great keeper! That is my philosophy! Look at Khan, Van Der Saar, now Neuer, Buffon (back in the day) Inter and Julio Cesar!

each player has a job to do, mids to create and win back possession, wingers to create, defenders to defend and keepers to keep the ball out of the net and strikers to score goals! without each component the other postions cannot do what they need to!

I am a good keeper! All the players/teams I play against say that I should be playing in the PSL here in South Africa so I love to see awesome saves over awesome goals, always have always will! Defending and tackling, meh! even though you gotta love Vidic!