Are Friendlies even worth playing?? They have no real value

SmoothJitsu

Reaction score
Because other than getting your players's fitness levels up they have no purpose. you can say that it's a good way to test your tactics except it's ******* not. I dominate every single friendly i have, either it's against a bad team or a strong team. take for example this game against Juventus

View attachment 106569

i dominated every single minute of this game against the strongest team Juventus could have fielded yet i get to the regular season and i can't create a chance to save my life. How am i supposed to get to the regular season with a good tactic if the friendlies just create this false sense of confidence about it??

Last edited:
TBH during my reign with small clubs I do managed to rake in huge profits with arranging friendlies vs big clubs. Financial benefit is there, apart from fitness and morale benefit.

But for you, huge team like Arsenal (COYG!) of course financially not that much benefit, but fitness and helping your player to gel more and forge better understanding as well with rest of team.

As of competitive matches, lot of factors need to be considered - i.e player morale, his previous form, opponent form, etc etc therefore it caused whatever winning streak you achieved from friendlies might not translating well in competitive matches. But they are not totally useless.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Getting player morale up... its a good way to get out of a bad run, just do a friendly vs a **** team.

Because other than getting your players's fitness levels up they have no purpose. you can say that it's a good way to test your tactics except it's ******* not. I dominate every single friendly i have, either it's against a bad team or a strong team. take for example this game against Juventus

View attachment 1102042

i dominated every single minute of this game against the strongest team Juventus could have fielded yet i get to the regular season and i can't create a chance to save my life. How am i supposed to get to the regular season with a good tactic if the friendlies just create this false sense of confidence about it??
AI teams obviously (like RL too) don't take results in friendlies very seriously. They won't go all out to fight back or make big changes to protect leads. It's not important. If you are judging a friendly and the effectiveness of a tactic by the result, you're making a huge mistake.

Friendlies are to get match fitness up and to make tactical changes/tweaks so the tactic functions as it should. The tactic doesn't "work" if you win. It "works" if it creates/uses space properly etc

I've always found friendlies to be a good way of introducing young players to the first team squad without too much pressure. You can see how they perform with the first team squad. Fair enough it doesn't show how they cope in pressure games but that's where using them as subs and against lower level teams comes in handy.