Are player instructions needed for a successful tactic?

Reaction score
Hello guys,

As my name suggests, tactical decisions aren't my strong point. I never know how to adapt or how to play to the strengths.
For example, 'Player Instructions', are they needed for a successful tactic? Or can you get away with not using them?

Any tips on how to make your side defensively sound? Sean Dyche, Rafa Benitez & Sam Allardyce comes to mind.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Enjoy the rest of your evening.

In a word no.

I usually make do with formation, mentality, player roles and duties and that's it. If I have a very specific style in mind (and I mean very specific) then I might add a couple of TIs just get them doing what I want rather than having a broader playing style. I rarely, if ever bother with PIs and almost never use OIs. I've had tremendous success with that. I don't even bother with Shape any more. Flexible never fails me.

Formation sets out the balance of your side along the length and width of the pitch. Do you want to be top heavy? Bottom heavy? Balanced? Narrow? Each option will effect your other decisions. Mentality sets a base for your side, it establishes your width, tempo, closing down.etc Once you've got that its time to decide roles and duties.

Roles dictate HOW your player will play his position. Is he a runner, a passer, harrier or a holder. Duties dictate what the player does during the transition from defence to attack. A Defend duty keeps things tight while your team moves forward and then joins in only when you've got strong control in the final third. Attack duties stretch the pitch and give options for passes and crosses on transition, they get forward quickest. And Support duties link the two, they launch the transitions and then get up in support once the attack duties have secured control in the final third.

This is a very rough and ready explanation but, for me, its a basic and uncluttered way of thinking about it.

TIs and PIs just tweak what's already there, so no, it's not necessary to have any.

In a word no.

I usually make do with formation, mentality, player roles and duties and that's it. If I have a very specific style in mind (and I mean very specific) then I might add a couple of TIs just get them doing what I want rather than having a broader playing style. I rarely, if ever bother with PIs and almost never use OIs. I've had tremendous success with that. I don't even bother with Shape any more. Flexible never fails me.

Formation sets out the balance of your side along the length and width of the pitch. Do you want to be top heavy? Bottom heavy? Balanced? Narrow? Each option will effect your other decisions. Mentality sets a base for your side, it establishes your width, tempo, closing down.etc Once you've got that its time to decide roles and duties.

Roles dictate HOW your player will play his position. Is he a runner, a passer, harrier or a holder. Duties dictate what the player does during the transition from defence to attack. A Defend duty keeps things tight while your team moves forward and then joins in only when you've got strong control in the final third. Attack duties stretch the pitch and give options for passes and crosses on transition, they get forward quickest. And Support duties link the two, they launch the transitions and then get up in support once the attack duties have secured control in the final third.

This is a very rough and ready explanation but, for me, its a basic and uncluttered way of thinking about it.

That is very, very interesting! Not a way I've thought about it before. Thank you!

I have no advice as I am tactically deficient it seems. I have success with plug and play tactics subscribed to in the Steam Workshop, but any made from scratch tactics seem to result in failure.

That said, while I don't disagree with the posts, I am a bit disheartened that a lot of these features mat not matter very much. Or maybe I am wrong and there are people that focus on the PIs more extensively. I love the game and it is one of the deepest simulations I have played, but I guess I like there being more significance to each component.