Are stats more important than CA/PA?

LeesP

Reaction score
I think i've got a decent understanding of CA/PA after reading threads on the matter, however i'm still not sure just how much effect it has and was wondering if someone is able to enlighten me as to what is more important?
Does CA relate to the number of stats a player has?
If there are two strikers with identical goalscoring attributes but different CA's, is the one with a higher CA more likely to finish a chance?
Essentially, is a player with better stats for their position more useful than one with a higher CA/PA?

As far as I know it's the number of points that can be, or have been assigned to their stats, but if your player has useless stats, such as 18 tackling on a striker, their CA will mean less in relation to their position. So in answer to your question about whether he's more likely to score, no that is not effected by CA/PA.

CA and PA are indeed a clue to how many "stat points" a player can have, but it has no relation to how he plays - that's determined by stats. A striker with 180 CA but 5 for finishing is a bad striker, no matter how high his CA is. However his high CA does mean other stats will be high, so he'll probably be a good player, just not a good finisher.

So, in theory, you could have a striker with a low PA and turn him in to a goal machine, but he will be awful at everything else?

if you used Fm genie scout, I would say look at the PA/CA rating. They are more important than CA/PA

CA and PA numbers matter the most. players stats come next, and then lastly is the star ratings ingame by your assistant manager and scouts

So, in theory, you could have a striker with a low PA and turn him in to a goal machine, but he will be awful at everything else?

Sure. If his finishing would be 15+ he'd still bang in the goals, but it'd be hard to improve the rest of his stats. IIRC there was a player on FM 11 called "El Maestro", who had ridiculous technical stats but whose mental and physical stats were awful.